Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hasn't that been the case in team books since forever?

(I say this as a Barry fan, by the by).
    Not quite, and I don't think Barry felt like Wally here - even if he was a little off.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Reboot him into Wally Allen and make him a ginger with blue eyes and a crew cut. That way nobody is happy but everyone gets the Flash they remember.
    It has been done already. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Hey, this story might be filler to fill in the gaps in the publishing but it's got a few things going that several other comics this week don't.

A coherent story. A back-to-basics approach to the Justice League where they interact, have banter, shoot the **** with a few of their allies, and face some new threat unearthed by unchecked corporate greed. A nice twist on the "this is a thing from the past, check out this Past Team-Up!" pulp concept. And Howard Porter art which is always a good thing in a JLA arc, from Morrison's JLA right up to Drowned Earth.

It read to me almost like an episode of JLU and I shan't be faulting it for that!

Oh sure, the "Frost King" being all Kryptonned up in power level and having a rage on for the Justice League Viking of 1000 years ago and hating Dokkalfar which treads on Jack Kirby's Thor territory, you know, trite, nothing to write home about, and probably an excuse to pool all of the ICE VILLAINS together for a Winter Solstice/Christmas-themed crossover mini-event. But like ... it's fun, you know? JLA vs. all the Ice Guys. Evil big bad. Punch'em up and oh no the world is FROZEN! right up there with "Oh no the world is flooded by Alien Atlanteans" or the "World is conquered by Kryptonians" or "Covered in Black Symbiote Goo!"
    That's pretty much how I feel. Felt like a good story from circa 1991. Some characterizations are a little off, but heh... I wish those were the kinds f problems DC had of late.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    It has been done already. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was doing my best to come up with the most corporate, stupid idea I could and of course it already happened. I'm so mad at myself now. Doubly so because Manapul made that moment look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I was doing my best to come up with the most corporate, stupid idea I could and of course it already happened. I'm so mad at myself now. Doubly so because Manapul made that moment look great.
    You know, that story was actually fun! (But yeah, I get your point....)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I feel like either Ice or Icemaiden should be involved in this event.
    Will Icicle do?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Frost King. Sounds like a refrigerator brand you’d find at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Methinks I’ll give this frosty event a red hot pass.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

It looks like somebody smashed Joel Schumacher's take on Mr. Freeze into Lobo.

I'm actually having some fun with this one. this first issue felt like a solid opening episode to Justice League/Justice League:Unlimited, or a lighter-tone Young Justice. There were one or two eye-rolling lines but overall everyone bounced off each other well and behaved in-characters. the one thing holding it back in my opinion is the art, while I'm not a huge Porter guy, his art doesn't usually distract me so much (the way he draws black male hair always irks me) but it couldn't all the way look past it here. It's not HIDEOUS but it's just so bulky and awkward, it kinda robs the story of that element of epicness a little. in a lot a ways it feels like Scott Snyder's first Justice League issue (I still love that opening arc) but Snyder had the superior artist imo. the last two pages look really good, had they swapped the artists I feel it would have dug it more than I do; but I still really enjoyed this first issue. I'm definitely going to follow this one all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    another event focused on batman and ww
    "another"? how many events center on Wonder Woman? in what ways does this focus on Batman more than any other hero that appears in this event? if anything it's a Black Adam and Wonder Woman at best, if not simply a Justice League event.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Copied from another thread-

"I read it and liked it. It feels like a good one off episode. It actually reminded me of the CW crossovers."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Waste of Catman. Might as well kept him in limbo until someone with an actual plan could've used him.
    I actually thought it was the best use of Catman since his Secret Six days (which were quite a few years ago). At least he wasn't just cannon fodder used to kill off to show a bigger, badder enemy. I hate when that happens.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm actually having some fun with this one. this first issue felt like a solid opening episode to Justice League/Justice League:Unlimited, or a lighter-tone Young Justice. There were one or two eye-rolling lines but overall everyone bounced off each other well and behaved in-characters. the one thing holding it back in my opinion is the art, while I'm not a huge Porter guy, his art doesn't usually distract me so much (the way he draws black male hair always irks me) but it couldn't all the way look past it here. It's not HIDEOUS but it's just so bulky and awkward, it kinda robs the story of that element of epicness a little. in a lot a ways it feels like Scott Snyder's first Justice League issue (I still love that opening arc) but Snyder had the superior artist imo. the last two pages look really good, had they swapped the artists I feel it would have dug it more than I do; but I still really enjoyed this first issue. I'm definitely going to follow this one all the way.

"another"? how many events center on Wonder Woman? in what ways does this focus on Batman more than any other hero that appears in this event? if anything it's a Black Adam and Wonder Woman at best, if not simply a Justice League event.
    Yeah the only Batwank I remember was the Frost King knocking all the JLA aside except Bruce who held his ground.

Which is beyond stupid.

Otherwise he wasn't that big a focus here.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You know, that story was actually fun! (But yeah, I get your point....)
    Where is this from? I love Manapul!

Who'd have thought the Superman book would be the one to get me completely invested in this event. I was always going to read it just because I wanted to see what some of these characters have coming but I feel the Superman book does the best job of selling the Frost King for me. I liked his origin and in intrigued to see how he got from where we leave him in this book to now. The actual Superman story was solid too, I like when DC isn't trying so hard to sell the "strong independent woman" angle with Lois Lane and just let's her do her job and help people if she can. I loved the running op-ed throughout the book, and by the time Superman came in the scene it felt like I was watching the animated series before I knew it. let's hope they keep this momentum in the other books (which is always the challenge of these events).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

I feel like the story so far are pretty solid,
    just not that Event-worthy