Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Waste of Catman. Might as well kept him in limbo until someone with an actual plan could've used him.

This event as a whole screams filler. Does this count as the first event filler or has there been something else in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Waste of Catman. Might as well kept him in limbo until someone with an actual plan could've used him.

This event as a whole screams filler. Does this count as the first event filler or has there been something else in the past?
    Convergence? Although I guess that led to the current Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Convergence? Although I guess that led to the current Superman.
    Oh yeah, Convergence for sure. So Endless Winter can't even claim the original event filler title.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Oh yeah, Convergence for sure. So Endless Winter can't even claim the original event filler title.
    Yeah, it feels like a filler. But with the same writers in most (if not) all the titles, we could hope a higher coherence than other titles and evets.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Hey, this story might be filler to fill in the gaps in the publishing but it's got a few things going that several other comics this week don't.

A coherent story. A back-to-basics approach to the Justice League where they interact, have banter, shoot the **** with a few of their allies, and face some new threat unearthed by unchecked corporate greed. A nice twist on the "this is a thing from the past, check out this Past Team-Up!" pulp concept. And Howard Porter art which is always a good thing in a JLA arc, from Morrison's JLA right up to Drowned Earth.

It read to me almost like an episode of JLU and I shan't be faulting it for that!

Oh sure, the "Frost King" being all Kryptonned up in power level and having a rage on for the Justice League Viking of 1000 years ago and hating Dokkalfar which treads on Jack Kirby's Thor territory, you know, trite, nothing to write home about, and probably an excuse to pool all of the ICE VILLAINS together for a Winter Solstice/Christmas-themed crossover mini-event. But like ... it's fun, you know? JLA vs. all the Ice Guys. Evil big bad. Punch'em up and oh no the world is FROZEN! right up there with "Oh no the world is flooded by Alien Atlanteans" or the "World is conquered by Kryptonians" or "Covered in Black Symbiote Goo!"
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Despite some major flaws I still enjoyed the issue overall. I agree with K. Jones that this did kind of feel like an episode of JLU. Plus it’s always nice to see Howard Porter drawing the League.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Superman is stupid and irresponsible who leaves the remains of the fortress lying around. lugo dc wonders why superman doesn't sell, when they would have to wonder how badly they write it, how come it's still selling.
    I agree. This was my biggest complaint. Superman would never be that irresponsible with Kryptonian tech. I wish there was a better explanation than just, “gee I forget to make sure there wasn’t tons of Kryptonian crystal technology haphazard left behind.” He scanned the monsters down to the molecular level in a second but forget to check his basement before he moved. It would have been far better if it was just a small share of Kryptonian crystal and Stagg had experimented with the energy on the dig site, thus powering the Frost King.

Porter’s art was kinda rough here, which is weird because his Flash stuff has generally been great. This event felt very retro, which I didn’t mind, no Multiverse destruction here. This is a nice little crossover that will apparently set up stuff for Black Adam and maybe others too while also filling space for DC as we approach March.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

This first issue did not draw me in at all. The art was not good, the overall story fairly weak, and interactions with all the JLers...while not bad just felt off. Like Barry felt like Wally, Diana felt doom and gloom.

I'd say it was a pretty decent start. Always nice to see the Justice League actually talk to each other like people.

The good thing is this is essentially a weekly which I personally believe all event books should be and it's all under one creative to there should be some cohesion in storytelling.

Superman's blunder was just a device to get the story going. It's obvious he wouldn't actually leave stuff like that. It's a little lazy, so it's best they don't poke at that point too much.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I'd say it was a pretty decent start. Always nice to see the Justice League actually talk to each other like people.

The good thing is this is essentially a weekly which I personally believe all event books should be and it's all under one creative to there should be some cohesion in storytelling. .
    Could not agree with you more there, recently finished reading X of Swords over at Marvel and it was so refreshing to have a major event wrap up in just eight weeks, with 2-3 issues a week to really dive into. Meanwhile Death Metal's been going on since...June?

The months long stretches really takes the wind away from these "events."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll be that guy. Nobody brought their A-Game to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This first issue did not draw me in at all. The art was not good, the overall story fairly weak, and interactions with all the JLers...while not bad just felt off. Like Barry felt like Wally, Diana felt doom and gloom.
    Hasn't that been the case in team books since forever?

(I say this as a Barry fan, by the by).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hasn't that been the case in team books since forever?

(I say this as a Barry fan, by the by).
    Reboot him into Wally Allen and make him a ginger with blue eyes and a crew cut. That way nobody is happy but everyone gets the Flash they remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Reboot him into Wally Allen and make him a ginger with blue eyes and a crew cut. That way nobody is happy but everyone gets the Flash they remember.
    So composite Flash ?