Default Matter Eater Lad vs The One Ring

During the council of Rivendell, Matter Eater Lad suddenly pops in, overhears their conversation of destroying the One Ring to rid the world of evil, and volunteers to help.

How successful is he at... digesting the One Ring?

Given the stuff the dude has successfully digested, and given that those things have withstood way more damage / power than the One Ring, sure. He’d probably wash it down with a nice glass of Mount Doom lava.

If he does not fall temptation of “
    Hey do not eat me, with me you can have what you want!”

Then yeah, he could damn well eat that thing and it would count as destroyed.

He has eaten crazier stuff than that ring.

I feel like the ring is not going to manage to successfully tempt him in time before he just goes "yom om om" and snarfs it.

Also he doesn't even have to pick it up, he can just straight up eat the chunk of dais it is displayed on, along with the ring.

Also the problem of tempting Matter Eater Lad with whatever he wants is that whatever he wants is totally going to include "eat that ring!" ;p

I'm not saying Matter Eater Lad is near hobbit like in being a man of simple desires, but I'm not not saying that either.

But are you not not not saying it?

He's saying that Matter Eater Lad eats his thoughts, and is therefore simply walking Id.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Walking Id is a great name for a book. I’d buy it.

I mean it would sit on my shelf unread, but that’s more of a function of my ADHD than the book itself, which at this stage is only a hypothetical literary work in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I feel like the ring is not going to manage to successfully tempt him in time before he just goes "yom om om" and snarfs it.

Also he doesn't even have to pick it up, he can just straight up eat the chunk of dais it is displayed on, along with the ring.

Also the problem of tempting Matter Eater Lad with whatever he wants is that whatever he wants is totally going to include "eat that ring!" ;p
    He could also have Frodo toss the ring in his mouth like a piece of popcorn. Problem solved!
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Walking Id is a great name for a book. I’d buy it.

I mean it would sit on my shelf unread, but that’s more of a function of my ADHD than the book itself, which at this stage is only a hypothetical literary work in any case.
    Would you? Really?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Would you? Really?
    Well, I feel I would. And with a walking Id, that’s all that matters.

Edit: Also, they should totally do a t-shirt for Psychology and Psychiatry students with the slogan “Ego - It’s the thought that counts.”

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Well, I feel I would. And with a walking Id, that’s all that matters.

Edit: Also, they should totally do a t-shirt for Psychology and Psychiatry students with the slogan “Ego - It’s the thought that counts.”
    That's fair to me. Cogent, inciteful replies trump meme references.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan