Incredible Member

Default Should Conner still be called a "clone"?

Clone seems to be an incorrect term. He's basically the lab-grown offspring of Superman and Luthor.

Astonishing Member

That's pretty much how I see him but I think that's an unpopular opinion. Clone implies being genetically identical and Conner is not a genetic copy by reason that he is also part Lex Luthor much like an offspring of a set of "parents".

Retired

He's a "Love Child!
    A hurt, scorned, rejected
    Love Child, never meant to be!"

He was created by duplicating dna, so clone works.

He is also a hybrid, because the duplicated dna was combined.

If you think in natural terms, which nothing about how Conner was created is natural, he would be their kid technically.

In my book if you are the product of the combination of two dna, you aren't a clone.

Or then, of who is he the clone then? Clark? Lex? The mailman? That scientist who enjoyed to lick the test tubes?

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

He's a mad science experiment either way. The way he was created is unique enough to coin a new term for it. Let's call the process Luthorian exo-genetic recombination instead of cloning.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He was always INTENDED to be a clone. Keep in mind, he was never meant to find out Luthor was one of his donors. Of course when he was first created, he wasn't meant to be part Luthor at all. He was a clone of Westfield made to look like Superman and they just kind of moved on from that. So the title "clone" just stuck. He's not a clone in the technical sense but he was first told he was a clone. Technically, he's a new creature. Nothing like him has ever existed before. So calling him clone makes sense in that there really is no other designation for what he is.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

"Clone" is such a loaded term, how about "scientifically manufactured genetic duplicate non-identical being?"

He's a clone. It's fine to call him that. Superman's an alien. Just because Conner was a clone that was test-tubed and aged or Clark spent his entire developmental and adult stages of life as a human doesn't change that, just like being a clone or alien makes them any less human (except biologically, of course) than the rest of us.

The smallville show called it CNR, or Cognitional Neuroplastic Replicant.

Either way he is and he isn't ,but he is a clone, a hybrid, and a new species all together

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yes. His name is KlonE

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yes. His name is KlonE

SCION,should be his name imo

"[Hybrid] clone" works for me. They took Superman and Luthor's DNA and inserted it into whatever, which sounds similar enough to me as to how Dolly the sheep got cloned. In other words, they used the cloning process, but they genetically recombined Superman's DNA with Lex's first.

I never really thought about it like this, but I guess he was never really a clone, was he? Even back when he was mostly grown from Westfield's DNA, it was still modified so much that he can't be called a true clone

I think in this case the term is used out of expediency rather than accuracy. I think it's mostly fine.

As for the name thing, I like Kon-El the way I like Mon-El.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I never really thought about it like this, but I guess he was never really a clone, was he? Even back when he was mostly grown from Westfield's DNA, it was still modified so much that he can't be called a true clone

I think in this case the term is used out of expediency rather than accuracy. I think it's mostly fine.

As for the name thing, I like Kon-El the way I like Mon-El.

Hybrid clone

Kon-el or Scion