Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Ragnarok by Walter Simonson, Invincible by Robert Kirkman, Black Science by Rick Remender, Marshall by Jean Giraud (Moebius), The Metabaron (Jodorovsky), The Incal (Moebius and Jodorovsky), and Asterix.

Amazing Member

I often hear killadelphia, oblivion song, fallen tree listed as really good series.

Ill add i enjoy something is killing the children, idw tmnt series 2011 series. I don't collect many indies unfortunately. Ed brubakers old series sleeper seasons 1/2 were good and i loved the early criminal stories.

Based on what you stated, I might suggest these:

Birthright
    Black Hammer
    Black Magick
    Deadly Class
    Descender/Ascender
    Lazarus
    Saga
    East of West
    Injection
    Locke & key
    Manifest Destiny
    Oblivion Song
    Sixth Gun
    Something is Killing the Children
    Stray Bullets
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

I'd recommend-

Anything by First Comics in the mid-'80s. (You'd have to get Dreadstar from Marvel's Epic line, but it's worth it.)
    Anything by Crossgen.
    Hellboy, starting from the beginning.
    The Legenderry comics from Dynamite, if you like superheroes and steampunk.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Read BLACKSAD! It's like a Disney movie... on acid.

Fantastic Member

I just read Transformers 2019 volumes 1 and 2. I really enjoyed it. But I only read the main issues... I skipped Transformers Galaxies. I really like the relatively slow pace of this series. I love the characterization of Megatron and Orion Pax(Optimus before becoming Prime). Megatron isn't extreme... he wants the best for Cybertron... unfortunately those that he's working with just mess things up and slowly things go to hell. He becomes the really "evil" Megatron when it's all he can do to salvage his plans. Orion Pax is not the bold leader we're used to. He feels almost like a slight pushover (I mean this in a good way).

The main story is really like the Star Wars prequels... Senator Megatron tries to gain more power which will eventually lead to the formation of Decepticons... but the difference is where Palpatine is just pure evil from the start Megatron wants to avoid violence, but things keep going out of control...

HAS anyone ever read Concrete? Is it a decent read for superhero fans? Is there a lot of action, or is it too cerebral?

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    HAS anyone ever read Concrete? Is it a decent read for superhero fans? Is there a lot of action, or is it too cerebral?
    If I remember properly, it is very cerebral. although I never read it, because in looking through it, I never saw any action.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    If I remember properly, it is very cerebral. although I never read it, because in looking through it, I never saw any action.
    Thank you so much for the response. I guess, I'll ignore it then!

Allow me to recommend a famous one, that I feel doesn't get enough love!

Will Eisner's The Spirit. Those stories are nearly 80 years old and read as well today... as when they were first published!

Fantastic Member

Just read first two volumes of Black Hammer. Really liked it! Volume 3 is where things get revealed... so hope the payoff is worth it.

Thank you so much for the response. I guess, I'll ignore it then!
    Sad to hear you won't be giving it a chance. But for my money, Paul Chadwick's Concrete is a most pleasant reading experience...

Allow me to recommend a famous one, that I feel doesn't get enough love!

Will Eisner's The Spirit. Those stories are nearly 80 years old and read as well today... as when they were first published!
    Excellent recommendation! I have Will Eisner's A Contract with God in my collection:

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Sad to hear you won't be giving it a chance. But for my money, Paul Chadwick's Concrete is a most pleasant reading experience...

I have gleaned a little of it... and I can probably guess that it's one of THE classics of the 80's... my fav. era... so, it's not off the table.

Excellent recommendation! I have Will Eisner's A Contract with God in my collection:

Contract is interesting. I'm of the mind that the Big 2 would be far more interesting IF they had more sophistication and slice o' life like Contract, Concrete or Eastman and Laird's TMNT!