Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Ideal “Ending Story” For Wonder Woman

Batman has The Dark Knight Returns. Superman has All-Star Superman. Given the disappointing news that Rucka won’t be doing Diana’s Daughter after all because he couldn’t get the story to work, I though I’d ask the forum what you guys would like to see from a hypothetical “finale” story for Diana.

What would be the “inciting incident” that kicks off the endgame for Wonder Woman? For Batman in Dark Knight Returns, it’s two factors: 1. Is that unlike the mainline, Batman actually gets old here & 2. It’s Bruce seeing that Gotham has become worse in Batman’s absence. For Superman in All-Star Superman, it’s the poisoning of his cells that will end up killing him, forcing him to tie up his loose ends and ensure the world is ready for life without him.

What would be the main relationships for Diana that you would focus on? For Batman, it’s the enmity between his arch foe the Joker and his rivalry with Superman that are the focus. For Superman it’s his enmity with arch foe Lex and his love triangle with Lois that are ultimately resolved. What would be the main WW Rogue you would want as the focus of such a story? Who works best for Diana’s endgame fight?

What format do you think works best? Dark Knight Returns was an four issue story while All-Star was a 12 issue one.

What artist would you like to see draw it? Miller’s Batman and Quietly’s Superman are both iconic images for their respective characters.

Would it be set in one location like DKR or spread throughout the DCU like AS?

What aspect of the Wondermythos should any finale for Diana absolutely need? Her Golden Lasso? Invisible Plane? Wonderdome? Pet Kanga Jumpy ?

And of course, what does Diana’s ending look like? Batman cements his legend and overcomes both the corrupting forces of Chaos (Joker) and Order (Superman), going on to train the next generation. Superman ascends to godhood and becomes the literal guiding light for mankind by acting as Sol’s new heart.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-25-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Jimenez's new status quo for Themyscira near the end of his run as a "cosmic university" is kind of close to an end goal I envisioned for Wonder Woman, at least when it comes to that aspect of her world. I guess I'd also want Jimenez or Nicola Scott as the artist if this were to be a book placed alongside DKR or All-Star.

Had the germ of an idea once, in a Superman for All Seasons meets Spider-Man: Life Story sort of way, of Diana's life story in issues being narrated by the various notable supporting characters and villains from across her life and publication history that look at the various aspects of Diana's character and their relationship/history with her. So Hippolyta one issue, then Steve, Etta, Cheetah, Ares ,etc ,etc with their fates being able to be gleamed through dialogue or revealed throughout the course of the story.

I have a 12-issue miniseries in mind that ties up Diana’s mission in Man’s World and the fates of Steve and Etta; the Amazons; her adversaries; Superman, Batman, and her Justice League teammates; and the Olympian pantheon.

It’s an adventure and exploration of myth, both classical and contemporary, through a modern lens that has Diana at its epicenter.

To me, ascension to a fully celestial being has always appeal to me. Rather like what happened to Earth-Two Wonder Woman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

First and foremost, I want it to be a hopeful, feel-good story, not a dark and depressing one. The must have characters are Hippolyta and the Amazons, Steve, Etta, Cheetah, Ares and the Wonder Girls.

I have to point out that All Star Superman (which is also a final Superman story) was a prequel to DC One Million, which is the actual final Superman story and made me cry. Whatever Happened to to? is also an excellent Superman last story.

I have a hard time imagining a final story for Diana. Her mission to fight for peace, I don't see how it would ever end. Humanity is always going to need to be saved from itself, and Diana isn't going to age out of being up to the job anytime soon.
    That's how I see it, the fight never ends, but she never gives up. To take it further, I could see Diana having children, raising the next generation of heroes.
    Phil Jimenez writing and drawing would be ideal, his Wonder Woman run was inspired and far too short.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I have to point out that All Star Superman (which is also a final Superman story) was a prequel to DC One Million, which is the actual final Superman story and made me cry. Whatever Happened to to? is also an excellent Superman last story.

I have a hard time imagining a final story for Diana. Her mission to fight for peace, I don't see how it would ever end. Humanity is always going to need to be saved from itself, and Diana isn't going to age out of being up to the job anytime soon.
    That's how I see it, the fight never ends, but she never gives up. To take it further, I could see Diana having children, raising the next generation of heroes.
    Phil Jimenez writing and drawing would be ideal, his Wonder Woman run was inspired and far too short.
    Well, a lot of bad characterization of Diana flows from stories that portray her as a failure tasked with an impossible mission. So any final story for Diana should have Success as its keynote. She finally gets together with Superman (maybe after an extradimensional fling with Captain America); Superman will outlive Lois Lane by some years. She starts a family with him. She reforms many if not all of her enemies. She opens Themiscyra to the world and makes it a school of feminism shorn of perennial victimhood and recrimination. She stops WWIII before it begins. She reforms or participates in a major changing of the guard of the Greek pantheon and keeps the more amorous or violent among them out of humanity's business. And out of all these battles one, her most important legacy is her family, born from the blood of Kryptonians and Amazons. I would prefer it to end with a roman style apotheosis, but that's the part that matters least.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Well, a lot of bad characterization of Diana flows from stories that portray her as a failure tasked with an impossible mission. So any final story for Diana should have Success as its keynote. She finally gets together with Superman (maybe after an extradimensional fling with Captain America); Superman will outlive Lois Lane by some years. She starts a family with him. She reforms many if not all of her enemies. She opens Themiscyra to the world and makes it a school of feminism shorn of perennial victimhood and recrimination. She stops WWIII before it begins. She reforms or participates in a major changing of the guard of the Greek pantheon and keeps the more amorous or violent among them out of humanity's business. And out of all these battles one, her most important legacy is her family, born from the blood of Kryptonians and Amazons. I would prefer it to end with a roman style apotheosis, but that's the part that matters least.
    That all sounds really appealing.
    I'm not super into the Superman/Wonder Woman romance, but I can take it better when it's after Lois has died. Kingdom Come made it work well - Dark Knight Strikes Back did not (for me).
    I just may be feeling too cynical about this world to imagine that Diana's mission can ever be over, but I don't consider her a failure until she gives up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To me, ascension to a fully celestial being has always appeal to me. Rather like what happened to Earth-Two Wonder Woman.
    Had a similar idea of ascending to the head of Olympus as a new Athena-like wisdom goddess, as a part of reshuffling/reorganization of the pantheon.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Uhh... Steve and Diana retire to Paradise Island that's already accepting of men to live as immortals forever and ever

I get the feeling that Diana is the type to reject Divinity and Steve is also uncomfortable with it

Something like Paradise Island retirement where they can visit their families and descendant in America ocassionally feels ideal

Centuries into the future. Neither dystopian, nor utopian. Just the future.

Diana, still immortal, has outlived everyone. Even Superman has been dead of old age for years.
    She stopped being Wonder Woman some time ago due to multiple factors...watching her friends and loved ones die wears her down, the other Amazons are gone, leaving her the last, and the biggest blow: Circe, in an act of cruelty, used her magic to render Diana infertile and unable to have children.

She moves around, changing her identity every couple of decades, and lives her life sort of like Highlander. She's not bitter or cynical, but there is a weariness that comes from living so long.

However, despite being out of the superhero game, she still feels compelled to help people. Ultimately, she can't not help others, and the big thing in this story would be her reflecting on what made her wish be a hero in the first place and what keeps her going.

She does become Wonder Woman again. There'd be a final confrontation with Cheetah, who has also achieved immortality, but by this point has devolved into monstrous creature barely human. Circe would also return one last time to settle things.
    But the real final fight--and probably what prompted her to return in the first place--would be with Hercules who has by now become this embodiment of aggression and brute force...effectively overthrowing Ares as a god of violence.

Diana prevails, but even with Hercules and Ares gone, there always be that part of humanity that resorts to violence and war. So she vows to continue opposing them as long as she's able to.

I'd tie it in some way to the myth of Sisyphus and end it with the Albert Camus quote: "One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Extraordinary Member

A lot of those aren't really endings, though, are they? I would hope that as a warrior first and foremost, she gets a warrior's glorious death in the far future, and then is reunited with her loved ones in the Elysium Fields or whatever the Amazons consider Heaven. With visitation rights to other heavens to visit her other friends. But all that stuff happens off panel, and is implied. Sort of like how the movie The 13th Warrior characters viewed death, as merely an opportunity to see their loved ones again if they are brave. They were happy about it in a way, and I would assume Diana might be as well.

Remember there are probably lots of downsides to true immortality. Even if you get the best possible versions where you never get old or sick.

So in my head, Diana's story probably goes something like this.....I kinda flip flop on ideas here.

She's already centuries old when she leaves Themyscria, and has never really had to interact with the concept of "time" until reaching Man's World. Diana does the superhero thing.

Eventually she and Steve enter into a union; whatever the Amazon equivalent of marriage is. Maybe they're in a poly relationship, maybe not. Regardless, we get Lyta out of the deal, she grows up to be known as Fury.

As Steve gets older, Diana passes the Wonder mantle to Donna or Lyta, and Diana and Steve retire to the Island. Steve's still the only man allowed to set foot there, but he's greatly respected (if not always liked) and he and Diana share his final years in quiet, blissful peace. Hippolyta dies not long after, and Diana becomes queen, coming out of retirement with a fire lit under her ass and a renewed sense of purpose. Leaving the heroics to her legacies, Diana takes a prominent position on the world stage, and earth gets to see what a member of the Trinity can do when her eyes are turned on policy, trade, and politics.

After more than a century of fighting supervillains and politicians, with the Justice League and with the UN, Diana finally starts to turn the great stubborn wheel of history. Her efforts, combined with those of her long-lived peers, finally start to pay off. The world begins to noticeably improve. Steve and Lois have both been dead for decades, and Clark and Diana get together.

They have some good years together, enjoying the fruits of their labors, watching the world blossom, finding that they need to get personally involved less and less. It's good companionship, and it's love, but it's comfortable more than it's passionate. Clark's looking towards the stars, Diana's not sure what to do next.....and then comes the final confrontation. The last gasp of tyranny trying to stay alive in a world that has no more need of it. And Diana dies nobly in the last battle. And she rises, goddess of truth. Her original mission finally and truly complete, the world at peace, her place is now Olympus. And the final frontier is calling Clark home, stronger each day, so Diana and her second "husband" kiss one last time, sharing a tearful "See you later" and they go their separate ways.

Eons later as the multiverse dies, Diana's one of the few sentient entities left standing. She watches the last bits of creation implode.....and is born into a new reality; a New Archetype of the Fifth World, architect of a new reality. And she and the other Archetypes get to work building a new world......

So I guess in my head, Diana never truly ends. I think Diana, or the *idea* of Diana, is eternal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    A lot of those aren't really endings, though, are they? I would hope that as a warrior first and foremost, she gets a warrior's glorious death in the far future, and then is reunited with her loved ones in the Elysium Fields or whatever the Amazons consider Heaven. With visitation rights to other heavens to visit her other friends. But all that stuff happens off panel, and is implied. Sort of like how the movie The 13th Warrior characters viewed death, as merely an opportunity to see their loved ones again if they are brave. They were happy about it in a way, and I would assume Diana might be as well.

Remember there are probably lots of downsides to true immortality. Even if you get the best possible versions where you never get old or sick.
    I agree with you. i could more see Wonder Woman doing a Gandalf against the Balrog to allow others to escape.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Vordan...GREAT topic!! I wish I had the endgame story, your challenge calls for, but just can't pull it together, right now.

I think the game changer for Diana would be mass murder, maybe, on a scale we haven't seen before...? I also think the murder of children ..or even one child, in some sick way that mocks what Diana stands for could put Diana on def con five attack mode. For me, that narrows the list down to the rogues, who could do it.

I think the endgame villain should be female and magically powered, because that's so much of what distinguishes WW from the rest of the big Seven. As much as I love Doctor Cyber and Atomia, I think Queen Clea and Circe are my picks for the Wondagnarok story. Circe has the pathos and Clea has an inevitability, like a force of nature, that can't be stopped, without cosmic consequences.

Are there any circumstances, under which Diana would risk destroying the world to end the tyranny of a single villain? If liberating the world is no longer within her reach - if Cyber or Grail reduces us all to automatons, with no way of separating us from her consciousness and control - does Diana leave her in power ..or destroy the network, with us, in it? The dreaded fate that befell her own Amazon sisters has become reality, for all sentient life on Earth, ..and Diana failed to stop it; does she strike one, last, apocalyptic blow for freedom?

I think Wonder Wonder pulls the plug on the whole thing. Those are the kind of high stakes an endgame story should challenge our leading lady with ..to come anywhere close to a DKR-level story.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-26-2020 at 08:59 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!