Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Legion of Super-Heroes issue #7 preview

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Lol am I the only one that notices Saturn Girl giving Rokk the mean mug side eye, and Jon giving him what can only be described as the "I dunno about that one, chief" glance.

Makes sense given the fact that this is apparently the issue where Saturn Girl challenges Rokk for leadership. Rokk's been under fire from quite a few members lately. And an endorsement from Jon in either direction could be big.

________

I find Wildfire's comment about redundant powers on the team interesting. I remember that being a fairly big sticking point in other versions of the Legion. But then I've always wondered why Superboy, Mon-El, and Ultra Boy were exempt. Any Legion fans know why?

My guess is the details of their powers? But the contrast seems to be more pronounced in this incarnation as far as Ultra Boy goes. In issue 3 he was about to put up a green barrier using his power, but Jon and Mon seem quite similar. Is there something we haven't see yet regarding their powers that make more of a contrast? I have my theories.

Thanks for the larger images !

I really think that Bendis and Sook did an awesome job with the designs of the Legionnaires because even with other artists they all have distinct and great designs, at elast to me. Also, I've been re(reading the six first issues and I find it reads really well, with a great flow. I't definitively help the series if it got out six by six in a OGN I think.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

I really think that Bendis and Sook did an awesome job with the designs of the Legionnaires because even with other artists they all have distinct and great designs, at elast to me. Also, I've been re(reading the six first issues and I find it reads really well, with a great flow. I't definitively help the series if it got out six by six in a OGN I think.
    Definitely agree about how distinct and cool everyone's outfits are. For example, I can't help but admire Cosmic Boy's look and appearance.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Wait a minute, who is the gorgon?This politics and stuff is a bit boring. I want some action.So, a bit more hitting would be appreciated.

I love this image. Finally, some goofy expressions from the kid.I still hate karate kids design.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-26-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Hahaha also wanted to point out that along with Saturn Girl and Jon's side eyes at Rokk, you can also see Ultra Boy shooting Rokk a similar look.

Worth mentioning that in issue 5 Ultra Boy expressed frustration with how the Legion was run, and said that he'd have something more to say on it after the mission.

Does Ultra Boy throw his hat into the race alongside Rokk and Saturn Girl? Does he blame Legion leadership for the situation that his home world is in now?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Wait a minute, who is the gorgon?This politics and stuff is a bit boring. I want some action.
    Monster Boy. His powers are awesome because he's basically season 1 Ben 10. He instinctively can turn into a classic monster when he's in a high stress/danger situation, but he can never pick what monster he turns into. So far he's been Godzilla, a classic movie alien, Frankenstein's Monster, a werewolf, and now a gorgon. Such a fun idea.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-26-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Monster Boy. His powers are awesome because he's basically season 1 Ben 10. He instinctively can turn into a classic monster when he's in a high stress/danger situation, but he can never pick what monster he turns into.
    I knew it might be monster boy. But, i didn't think he could turn into a gorgon.I wonder if the guy could turn into godzilla.

He has. Issue 2 in like the first few pages in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    He has. Issue 2 in like the first few pages in the background.
    Ok, thanks . Must have missed it or not remembered it. Let me check it out. So, does this mean superman can finally have match with the artic giant, again? If there is goimg to be a civil war in legion i hope jon gets a match with monster boy as the artic giant, that would be a markout moment.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-26-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

Yeah I would have to say that besides shrinking violet, Phantom girl, and element lad I actually really like the Legion redesigns for this run. I think Sook did a pretty good job on the looks for these characters, keeping some of the classic designs and some of the new characters as well.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I kinda get why the intro with the Legionnaire's are so long but that doesn't really sound like Wildfire's voice.

Curious to see how this shifts into "let's arrest the entire Legion." Considering the art for the upcoming trail seems to use similar raised platforms like the United Planet representatives are, I guess maybe that's where the trial is held?
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I would have to say that besides shrinking violet, Phantom girl, and element lad I actually really like the Legion redesigns for this run. I think Sook did a pretty good job on the looks for these characters, keeping some of the classic designs and some of the new characters as well.
    I'm not crazy about Timber Wolf or a few others but I'm a fan of the classic designs so it was always going to be a rough adjustment for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kinda get why the intro with the Legionnaire's are so long but that doesn't really sound like Wildfire's voice.
    I think it's safe to say that nobody's voice is going to sound familiar to long-term Legion fans, given his Avengers voices sounded nothing like previous Avengers runs.

Curious to see how this shifts into "let's arrest the entire Legion."
    Eh. Issue 1, "We love the Legion!' Issue 2, "Arrest the Legion!" Issue 3, "We love the Legion!" This Brande character has some sort of split personality going on, because she does a 180 just about every issue, with little or no justification at all. She's just mistaken 'crazily hops to overwrought conclusions' for 'drama,' I think.

If I were feeling charitable, I'd say it was a meta-commentary on some politicians who focus-poll everything and try to get ahead of whatever is trending by jumping on the bandwagon, even if it contradicts whatever they were just as passionately saying five minutes ago.

But Bendis is no Morrison, so I'm just gonna go with 'cheap drama.'

I'm not crazy about Timber Wolf or a few others but I'm a fan of the classic designs so it was always going to be a rough adjustment for me.
    I do like the new look for Blok, but most of the others, not so much, and Timber Wolf is easily my least favorite, since I really liked him sleek and acrobatic (back when that was his actual power, 'super-acrobatics'). Timber Chonk, not so much.

I did kind of prefer one thing about the classic continuity is that so many of the characters had costumes designed under completely different artists, over many decades, in wildly different styles, which really made them feel, to me, like a collection of people who came from *twenty odd different planets!* with no doubt crazily different fashions. All of them sharing the design aesthetic of a single artist kind of makes them feel a little too unified.

Still, they could be wearing matching uniforms or baggy square jackets, so, this is far, far from the worst it could be!

Monster Boy is low-key one of the coolest new characters in a team for me.

I like President Brade quite a bit actually. She's neither a saint nor a mustache twirler. And the book does actually draw a fairly clear line for her actions these past 6 issues. Several characters give some insight on who she is, but they don't know her ultimate goals, and neither do we.