Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Which is fine, and I'll give you the frequency of it when spread out over a collective. But you're cutting the point of it in half if that's all you're looking at, because they go hand in hand with his writing style along with his characters stammering or him using distorting the words of characters while they eat or cry.
    No, I'm not cutting anything in half. I'm just talking about one aspect. All writers have multiple quirks or traits, but it is possible to unpack them individually. I have not seen a theme of food recurring enough in Bendis's work to call it a quirk like the bathroom stuff, so I'm not going to view them as connected. Your insistence that I should won't change that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

How you read/view the work is ultimately up to you, and I'm not going to assert otherwise past giving my take too.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-28-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    So, jon gives a speech like superman which i am mixed on. I love that the kid took leadership. But, felt it was too much like clark. Anyways, the vote was really fun. What is with jon poop jokes and bathroom obsession?
    I don't see any problem with the speech Jon gave. He IS Superman's son, and was definitely raised with his morals beliefs and attitude the same way Clark was with his father. So of course in certain situations he will sound like his father, that's to be expected. It's true in real life as well.
    Last edited by GSman; 07-28-2020 at 10:32 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I don't see any problem with the speech Jon gave. He IS Superman's son, and was definitely raised with his morals beliefs and attitude the same way Clark was with his father. So of course in certain situations he will sound like his father, that's to be expected. It's true in real life as well.
    He might be superman's son. But, he isn't clark kent.He has different personality. He needs to sound different. The clark kent 2.0 thing just doesn't work.As for being raised by him, that didn't happen. He was raised in a volcano and in earth - bad, in this continuity(sucks, but that's that) .

But even then, in that situation. Having some of his beliefs is fine. the kid just doesn't question any of his father's value system to reaffirm the strengths and weakness of it nor does he feel like he has his own philosophy and ethics he developed. So, that just makes jon a puppet or a robot of his parents,like clark himself in many versions. Naive good is not really good.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-28-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Has anyone translated the Interlac ? I'm kind of terrible at it sadly...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am really enjoying this, despite only getting a measly 1 page of Sook art.

I am not a longtime Legion fan, so I don't know if this is typical Cosmic Boy behavior, but he is not coming off well here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am really enjoying this, despite only getting a measly 1 page of Sook art.

I am not a longtime Legion fan, so I don't know if this is typical Cosmic Boy behavior, but he is not coming off well here.
    I actually felt bad for him. The kid's under a lot of pressure and he's obviously very tired of it all. But between him and Jacques (Invisible Kid/Gentleman) it seems this Legion is kind of dealing with difficulties not alienating members ?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He might be superman's son. But, he isn't clark kent.He has different personality. He needs to sound different. The clark kent 2.0 thing just doesn't work.As for being raised by him, that didn't happen. He was raised in a volcano and in earth - bad, in this continuity(sucks, but that's that) .

But even then, in that situation. Having some of his beliefs is fine. the kid just doesn't question any of his father's value system to reaffirm the strengths and weakness of it nor does he feel like he has his own philosophy and ethics he developed. So, that just makes jon a puppet or a robot of his parents,like clark himself in many versions. Naive good is not really good.
    He isn't Clark Kent but that doesn't mean he won't have similar attributes to his father, it's the same with any child and parent, the child will come to share some similarities. As for him not being raised by his parents, that's factually incorrect and you know it. He might have spent the latter half of his life on Earth 3, but the former half was with his parents. As for questioning his father's beliefs, why would he? Did Clark question his father's values? A lot of Clark's current beliefs and philosophy came from his parents, which he passed on to Jon. So why wouldn't he follow them as diligently as Clark would?

Astonishing Member

I actually felt bad for Rokk, Saturn Girl was trying to help and Brainy did what Brainy does and things just escalated rather quickly. I don't foresee the result of the particular vote being longlasting. I don't think Saturn Girl even voted which makes me think it wasn't her intention to oust Rokk despite his initial "voting" in when it was just the three of them.

As for Jon on the whole bathroom "joke", i can't say it was one. He's so new, and shying away from having the weight of responsibility put on him when he still doesn't know his way around this period, to even something as fundamental as a bathroom. It's something I'd expect someone to say in real life so I had no problems with him saying it.

Jon sounding like his dad is normal and man i need to know what's up with Mon-El

Screen Rants released an article about the most recent issue of the LOSH : https://screenrant.com/brian-michael...-gold-lantern/ and what's in for the future.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-29-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks for the interview.

_______

Glad to see the emotions towards Cosmic Boy on here are running the gambit of being annoyed with him and also feeling sorry for him. That's how it should be with a book like this about young people making mistakes and finding their way. This is totally dorm life in college, but it's even harder because it's self governed by the team, so they've gotta be adults and make choices for themselves, but they also can't turn off being around 17 and thereabouts.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Thanks for the interview.

_______

Glad to see the emotions towards Cosmic Boy on here are running the gambit of being annoyed with him and also feeling sorry for him. That's how it should be with a book like this about young people making mistakes and finding their way. This is totally dorm life in college, but it's even harder because it's self governed by the team, so they've gotta be adults and make choices for themselves, but they also can't turn off being around 17 and thereabouts.
    Which is where I can see the force of the US's dominance un cltural media, because being 17 there and here is vastly different in practice and yet similar nowadays on so many cultural levels... But yeah, I feel sorry for Rokk. Sure, he's a 1% now, but it's easy to see how it's different from ours. He was born with his powers and clearly pushed toward being something he never truly wanted (I'm not even sure he wanted to be a Star Athlete to begin with) unlike most of ours 1% who, when born in it, relishes it and try their best to suppress any dissent. But I digress.

I also feel like Bendis did a great work showcasing the relationship between Cosmic Boy and Shadow Lass. From glances to outright remarks toward Imra's actions and all. I also like that he tells the basic truth in the interview : if you want the ancient relationships, characters and all, the backstories are there for you, nobody can take them from you... But this Legion is for the now, for the dreamers of today, not the dreamers yesterday, in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Which is where I can see the force of the US's dominance un cltural media, because being 17 there and here is vastly different in practice and yet similar nowadays on so many cultural levels... But yeah, I feel sorry for Rokk. Sure, he's a 1% now, but it's easy to see how it's different from ours. He was born with his powers and clearly pushed toward being something he never truly wanted (I'm not even sure he wanted to be a Star Athlete to begin with) unlike most of ours 1% who, when born in it, relishes it and try their best to suppress any dissent. But I digress.

I also feel like Bendis did a great work showcasing the relationship between Cosmic Boy and Shadow Lass. From glances to outright remarks toward Imra's actions and all. I also like that he tells the basic truth in the interview : if you want the ancient relationships, characters and all, the backstories are there for you, nobody can take them from you... But this Legion is for the now, for the dreamers of today, not the dreamers yesterday, in a sense.
    I totally agree with you on Rokk. He's honestly becoming a favorite of mine. While I've never been forced into it, I've played competitive sports my whole life, and I've had to lead a team, so I really do feel for him and the pressure he's under. Leading can be really thankless, and the collective memory of teammates can be short when it comes to your actions as a leader.

Were you also surprised by Lightning Lad's vote to keep Rokk? A few issues ago he seemed to challenge him often, but now it seems that he ultimately respected him. Lightning Lad is also a character that's really grown on me because of this issue. I feel like I get him a lot more now.

Were you also surprised by Lightning Lad's vote to keep Rokk? A few issues ago he seemed to challenge him often, but now it seems that he ultimately respected him. Lightning Lad is also a character that's really grown on me because of this issue. I feel like I get him a lot more now.
    Not really. I felt that Lightning Lad challenged Rokk's to be the leader he knew he was deep down but didn't unleashed, if it makes sense. Basically, I feel LL wanted CB to up his game because he knew he could do that, while Imra and even Jo Nah seems to think that he isn't exactly up to the task of leading the team.

But then again, it's a brand new team, barely assembled, with possibly one defection (Jacques Foccart - Invisible Kid/Gentleman) or two (Cosmic Boy may be somewhat on the outs come next issue?) so it'll be interesting to see how it shapes up.

I can for sure get that sense now with the new context of his vote, yeah. With Imra, it's clear she's his friend, and only wants the best for him. Maybe she feels like once he starts being true to himself he'll be a better leader? Seems like Jo's issue with Rokk is that he lets Brainy run the team unelected and without any check.

The next two issues will be ones to certainly look out for, and not just because of the absurd level of artist talent going into them, but because we'll be learning some more about each any every member. This means that maybe certain members who have been hiding things will have to expose them.

Mon-El immediately comes to mind. As this issue reinforced, he and Jon have a connection that he doesn't want to give away for some reason. But while being questioned, he'd have to spill the beans. Apparently he was supposed to come clean about it in issue 3, but my guess is that got moved over to this two part special because of what it was about.