Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Yeah, theres just a 2 month fill in going on. They'll be back.
    I thought they were done. Glad to know they're not. Thanks

1. Batman Eternal (amazing and surprisingly consistant for how many people are involved)
    2. Detective Comics (I appreciate that the stories are well paced and not epically long like Snyder, but Icarus fell kinda flat for me so it takes a hit)
    3. Grayson (Morrison + Seeley = Magic)
    4. Batman (has gotten to the point of being long-winded and largely boring, not sure if I'll be keeping interest after Endgame)
    5. Batwoman (directionless since JHW left, but the new direction seems promising so I haven't abandoned all hope)

Cautiously excited for:
    Batgirl
    Catwoman (!!!)
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Best to worst

Batman (head and shoulders above anything else at DC)
    Inc.
    'Tec (Layman on. If Manapul/Booch keep it up, it can be #2 on my list)
    Eternal
    Batman & Robin
    Batwoman (Was one of the best comics at DC, then the creative switch made it drop in quality drastically)
    Li'l Gotham
    Nightwing
    Talon
    *huge drop off*
    Batgirl (can't wait for the new team!)
    RHatO (the issues I picked up were putrid)
    Birds of Prey (same; putrid)
    Catwoman (worst new 52 book besides worlds' finest)

Grayson has the potential to be a top 5 book. That being said, I'm not going to start making that claim two issues in. That's just silly.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 08-26-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Astonishing Member

Grayson

Red Hood

Everything else.

batman,grayson,batman and robin,batman eternal,detective comics,everything else is blah

Grayson - First 2 issue have been stellar. Haven't been this excited for a book in a while. It feels like the book i have been waiting for years to get. Finally a book the character deserves.
    Batman Inc - Good, though not quite as good and B&R was.
    Batman - Consistently good, but i hate Origin stories so i skipped Zero. Ill read it eventually, probably. Excited to start reading it again now that Zero year is over.
    Batman and Robin - Its highs are high, but its lows are low. I find its best the more bat shit Batman is in it.

Eternal - Not as big on this as others. Has good issues, and some of the plot lines have me hooked, but other just bore me and there are just so many that sometimes the issues feel like teases.
    Batgirl - Good in places, but has gotten rather stale. Glad Gail is moving on, not because it was bad, but it was time.
    Nightwing - Had its moments. Wanted it to be better then it was though.
    Detective Comics - TD was bad, picked it up again with the new creative team. Has been decent. Arts super pretty, but hasn't really wowed me.
    Batwoman - Not bad, but got bored of the character. I find her personality lacking. Alice though is awesome, and holding out for her was pretty much the reason why i stuck with it as long as i did.

BoP - This book hurts me. Love BoP, but this book is just painful.
    Talon - Got bored pretty quick.
    Catwoman - Poop.
    Red Hood and the Outlaws - Poop.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-27-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

So far all the books have had their ups and downs

Batman: Capullo art sometimes is a little too cartoony for my tastes and most of Snyder's stories tend to overstay their welcome (plus is rare for him to get satisfying endings) but is undeniable that there's talent there

B&R: Is great when Tomasi follows other writers footsteps like Morrison (Damian) or Johns (Bruce relationship with the league) but on his own is pretty mediocre and he needs to leave, Gleason on the other hand is a fantastic artist even if his faces are a little wonky.

Batgirl and Catwoman: Good art, terrible scripts.

BOP: Started strong but it lost any sense of direction at the end. I miss their original N52 line up.

Nightwing: Same as Batman, but it ended really strong.

Grayson: Entertaining but with a superb art

Batman Inc: Some good stuff here and there but it wasn't appealing to me.

Talon: Interesting premise squandered by idiotic choices.

Detective: Started really weak but it has gotten better with the new creative teams.

The Dark Knight: Good once that Finch stopped calling the shots

Eternal: Terrible but with some neat moments here and there

Red Hood: My favorite DC book but it was hurt badly by Tynion, luckily it has return to form on these last issues.

Batwoman: I never could get into the original team stories but it became pretty enjoyable under Andreyko. It still has some rough patches though.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

1. Batman - Fantastic
    2. Batman Eternal - Fantastic
    3. Batwoman - Fantastic
    4. The Dark Knight/Penguin Pain and Prejudice – Excluding the Finch written issues, which I didn’t enjoy, this was a very good title. Also, P&P is probably my favourite Penguin story (that or Triumphant).
    5. Talon – Consistently enjoyable read. Some bad art.
    6. Batman Inc – Mostly liked this a lot. Some bits I really hated, though. Probably should have been ‘old universe’ rather than New 52.
    7. Batgirl – Pretty solid, if disappointing in tone (thanks editorial). Looking forward to the new team.
    8. Detective Comics – Only really liked the current team so far. They are great, but I can’t rank it higher for the previous three odd years, which were passable but nothing special.
    9. Nightwing – Really hit and miss. Probably only this high because I love Nightwing so much.
    10. Batman Superman – Some really nice stuff, but the Mongul arc was horrible.
    11. Grayson – Meh. Not sold yet, but giving it a chance.
    12. Batman and Robin – Liked the first arc, but haven’t liked it much since. Dropped for about a year and just came back for the latest issue, which I liked a lot. Magnificent art, though.
    13. Red Hood and the Outlaws – Very hit and miss, had a six month period I dropped.
    14. Birds of Prey – Good to bad to unreadable within 2 years. Impressive.
    15. Catwoman - Good to unreadable within 18 months. Even more Impressive. Looking forward to the new team.
    16. Batwing – Liked the first full arc but wasn’t sure on the next one. When it moved to Gotham and Luke Fox, which I’m still pissed about, I was done.
    17. Arkham War/Batman Vs Bane – An unstructured mess and complete waste of paper.

I am trade waiting Harley Quinn as I'm not a big fan, but the fan reaction is glowing.
    Last edited by exile001; 08-27-2014 at 06:56 AM.

My ranking...

1. Grayson - This book has just been incredible. I love it more than any Bruce-led book.
    2. Batman and Robin - It wavered for a while after Damian died, but Robin Rises has been really good.
    3. Batman
    4. Batman: Eternal
    5. Batwoman
    6. Detective Comics
    7. Red Hood and the Outlaws
    8. Harley Quinn

I suspect that with the changes coming to Batgirl and Catwoman, and the new books coming out in October and November, the Batfamily of books will be overloaded with quality.

I am only including titles that I have read and so my list lacks a number of titles that likely belong on such a list. I am also excluding Li'l Gotham, Batman '66 and Batman/Superman as they are either not part of the New 52 or not exclusively a Batbook.

1. Batman Inc. an amazingly bittersweet conclusion to the best Batman story I have ever read.
    2. Batman and Robin although I sometimes feel this title is somewhat ancillary to other titles I often feel it handles the stories better. The Two-Face storyline was particularly well handled (although I am not 100 percent sold on certain changes to his origin). More surprisingly Tomasi writes a Carrie Kelley that I can tolerate.
    3. Batwoman J.H. Williams run was all I read on the title and it was a great follow up to Rucka's work on the title.
    4. Grayson I could see this rising towards the top of my list. I have slight reservations over the teams handling of the last Nightwing issue.
    5. Batman I am making a concise effort to try and make it through this title again but find Snyder's handle long of certain characters to not be my taste. I dropped the title during Death of the Family and still feel that it represents my personal distaste for the writing/characterisation of Snyder's Batman work. I am enjoying reading it more in trade than I had in single issues although I may just skip Death of the Family this time.
    6. Nightwing early on this title would have been much higher but editorial seemed determined to derail the title. I placed a lot of blame on Snyder's book for this at one point but the fact that Batman and Robin was always compelling even when caught in a crossover makes me reconsider. Overall it just lacked direction and forward progress.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-27-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    6. Nightwing early on this title would have been much higher but editorial seemed determined to derail the title. I placed a lot of blame on Snyder's book for this at one point but the fact that Batman and Robin was always compelling even when caught in a crossover makes me reconsider. Overall it just lacked direction and forward progress.
    Snyder had nothing to do with the terribleness of Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Snyder's "events" in Batman that interrupted other Bat-books for tie-ins didn't exactly help Nightwing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    That is the conclusion I came to but my disappointment required a scapegoat and Higgins often seemed to be the victim of editorial edict. As I said Tomasi was able to work under such conditions so I do now think that Higgins was definitely a part of the problem. But as MajorHoy points out Snyder's stories didn't improve things.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Snyder's "events" in Batman that interrupted other Bat-books for tie-ins didn't exactly help Nightwing . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    That is the conclusion I came to but my disappointment required a scapegoat and Higgins often seemed to be the victim of editorial edict. As I said Tomasi was able to work under such conditions so I do now think that Higgins was definitely a part of the problem. But as MajorHoy points out Snyder's stories didn't improve things.
    IMO, the best issues of Nightwing were the tie-ins. Especially the first arc that was specifically designed to dovetail into Court of Owls. Higgins on his own (lets say Chicago era) was pretty bad, and even resurrected Tony Zucco... Yeah, not good.

Astonishing Member

Batman Eternal. Various. Good and proper roller coaster comics. Scale, scope, and Stephanie Brown.
    Batman. Scott Snyder. 2nd Place. Consistency. Showed good leadership for a while, but the whole line has been better since that ended.
    Batman and Robin. Pete Tomasi. 1st Place. Consistency.
    Batman, Inc 2.0. Grant Morrison. Impossible to top, for me, at least until that "no fill-in art" absolute edition comes out.
    Detective. Tony Daniel. Middling.
    Detective. John Layman. Workmanlike.
    Detective. Manapul & Booch. Classic. Not mindblowing, just classic.
    Dark Knight. Dave Finch. Worse than middling.
    Dark Knight. Gregg Hurwitz. Middling.
    Nightwing. Kyle Higgins. Dreary.
    Grayson. Seeley & King. Rollicking.
    Catwoman. Judd Winick. Fraught.
    Catwoman. Ann Nocenti. Naught.
    Catwoman. Genevieve. TBA.
    Batgirl. Gail Simone. PTSD.
    Batgirl. Stewart, Fletcher & Tarr. TBA (Expectation!)
    Red Hood. Scott Lobdell. Surprisingly OK.
    Red Hood. James Tynion. Unsurprisingly not.
    Red Hood. Will Pfeiffer. Solid.
    Red Hood. Lobdell 2.0. We'll see.
    Batwoman. Williams. Class.
    Batwoman. Andreyko. Stock.
    Birds of Prey. D. Swierz. Solid.
    Birds of Prey. Christy Marx. I've tried. No success.
    Batwing. Judd Winick. Decent.
    Batwing. Palmiotti & Gray. Still decent, more fun.
    Talon. James Tynion. Surprisingly good.
    Talon. Tim Seeley. Surprisingly insane.
    Harley Quinn. Connor & Palmiotti. Gold.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com