Boisterously Confused

Default RIP Olivia De Havilland

Hollywood lost one of its last Golden Age stars at the age of 104. I best loved her lovely-but-fearsome roles from Captain Blood and Dodge City. She also gave a lot of time to USO tours during WWII.

Image.jpg
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-26-2020 at 01:13 PM.

RIP Ms Havilland.

Extraordinary Member

I loved her in "Hush Sweet Charlotte" with Bette Davis.

One of the all-time greats.

Mighty Member

Yes, one of the all time greats. It would have been really neat to have a conversation and hear her personal stories about golden age Hollywood. I know that she's more known for Gone with the Wind, but I saw The Heiress recently and she was great there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Yes, one of the all time greats. It would have been really neat to have a conversation and hear her personal stories about golden age Hollywood. I know that she's more known for Gone with the Wind, but I saw The Heiress recently and she was great there as well.
    The Heiress is one of my favorites.

It might not be as prestigious as some of her other work, but she's fantastic in The Adventures of Robin Hood as Maid Marian. It's one of my favorite films of all time, and if you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself, especially if you've been a fan of splashy Hollywood action adventure blockbusters your whole life (there's more than a little Robin Hood DNA in Star Wars).

Heard about her passing. I found out that she and her sister, Joan Fontaine were the only siblings to win Oscars for best actress in a leading role. They also had a very bitter rivalry. The sisters never reconciled in their lifetimes. How tragic.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Heard about her passing. I found out that she and her sister, Joan Fontaine were the only siblings to win Oscars for best actress in a leading role. They also had a very bitter rivalry. The sisters never reconciled in their lifetimes. How tragic.
    I seem to recall their father having some hand in stoking that fire. Very sad. They were both fine actresses.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

I watched her in the film Gone with The Wind. She was a great actress brimming with dignity and class.

In June 2017, two weeks before her 101st birthday, Olivia de Havilland was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II. She was the oldest woman ever to receive the honour.

RIP, Olivia.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Yes they did. I love Joan Fontaine. But I thought Olivia De havlland already died?