Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could Storm (Xmen) foght off the worse natural disasters?

Storm isn't allowes to control the disaters or descalate them. She has to fight them!

EX: The Ice Age is coming! Storm throws lava and tries to suoer heat the planet to fight it off.

EX: A super colcana is errupting! Could Storm throw wind and ice and wtv to beat back the eruption?

EX: The meteor that killed the dinosaurs is coming! Could Storm gather up enough earth to form some kind of barrier so she doesn't die?

EX: Something about earthquake and Storm underground. Can storm do something to fight off the shaking?

Can Storm degeat all the natural disasters?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Storm isn't allowes to control the disaters or descalate them. She has to fight them!

EX: The Ice Age is coming! Storm throws lava and tries to suoer heat the planet to fight it off.
    Storm cannot manipulate lava so... no. It depends on what is causing the ice age but I don't think Storm could stop it because it's usually caused by variations in the Earth's orbit rather than a specific weather system.

EX: A super colcana is errupting! Could Storm throw wind and ice and wtv to beat back the eruption?
    Possibly. At her peak she might be able to super cool the area the eruption is happening and blunt it if not stop it.

EX: The meteor that killed the dinosaurs is coming! Could Storm gather up enough earth to form some kind of barrier so she doesn't die?
    Flatly, no. An extinction class asteroid is waaay out of her paygrade.

EX: Something about earthquake and Storm underground. Can storm do something to fight off the shaking?
    No.

Could Storm prevent climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Could Storm prevent climate change?
    Short answer; no.

Longer answer; generally Storm is presented as being able to manipulate weather effects and the climate but she can't maintain it forever and she can't, to my knowledge, completely alter the Earth's weather permanently. She could, potentially, ameliorate the effects of climate change in a given area for a bit but... unless she suddenly gains the ability to drain excess CO2 from the atmosphere, she can't really help.

She couldn't stop a super volcano erupting Nik. You are thinking one of those slow flow Hawaiian style volcanoes.

A super volcano just kinda blows up lol. Nothing to cool off.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 07-27-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    She couldn't stop a super volcano erupting Nik. You are thinking one of those slow flow Hawaiian style volcanoes.

It's like a super pressurized bomb. Or an Earth Shart. Depends on how grossed out you want to be by the process.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Agreed. A supervolcano is more than just a bigger-than-usual volcano. Even the characteristics of a supervolcano differ (much less lava than you would expect compared to a regular volcano, but faaaar more ash and fiery rocks in the air).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iRJb15W-14

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/5/6108169...lcano-eruption

Essentially, for Storm to even begin to have any effect, she'd have to manipulate the weather around the US, rather than simply the volcano. The largest hurricane to hit the US was only half the size of the country. Plus, I imagine the intensity of the winds would have to be pretty high -- when covering a small European country with hurricane winds, she was nearing her max at some 171 mph winds*, though hurricanes have occasionally hit 190 mph IRL. And I'm not sure if that would be enough to repel that much ash and rock, enough to cover surrounding states in 3 feet of ash.

*X-Men v.3 #23

But that's also well after the main objective -- can Storm throw enough wind and ice to suppress the eruption, and on that magnitude, I'm thinking no. It goes far beyond wind and ice, and even the intense weight, cold, and concentration of the ocean can't stop underwater volcanoes from erupting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It's like a super pressurized bomb. Or an Earth Shart. Depends on how grossed out you want to be by the process.
    The next time the X-Men play baseball, I hope they get Storm to play shartstop.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-27-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Ah, didn't note the "super" part, I was distracted by the word of "colcana," and was wondering if that meant specific kind of volcano or something.

In that case, yeah, she isn't going to be much help here.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Short answer; no.

Longer answer; generally Storm is presented as being able to manipulate weather effects and the climate but she can't maintain it forever and she can't, to my knowledge, completely alter the Earth's weather permanently. She could, potentially, ameliorate the effects of climate change in a given area for a bit but... unless she suddenly gains the ability to drain excess CO2 from the atmosphere, she can't really help.
    I mean, she could try and wipe out humanity, which would go a good way towards mitigating excess CO2 (maybe just a bunch of very precise lightning strikes to get religious fundamentalists to quit following corporatist politicians). Or at least render every major oilfield and coalmine unusable and ensure optimal conditions for solar panels and wind generation in as many locations as possible. Maybe refreeze the arctic with a super blizzard every couple of weeks days and make sure that the giant methane pockets in the Russian tundra don't thaw out.

Storm. Can affect the weather, just not all active and her stuff is really short term. So, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I mean, she could try and wipe out humanity, which would go a good way towards mitigating excess CO2 (maybe just a bunch of very precise lightning strikes to get religious fundamentalists to quit following corporatist politicians). Or at least render every major oilfield and coalmine unusable
    That's just two different ways of saying "wipe out humanity". 70% of China's energy needs and 80% of India's are met by fossil fuels. Conservatively speaking, ending these sources overnight will lead to a disaster that will make corona seem insignificant in comparison

and ensure optimal conditions for solar panels and wind generation in as many locations as possible.
    The problem isnt with optimal conditions but rather the huge initial investment needed for installing renewable energy plants

Just to note...

In the meteor coming to hit the Earth scenario I was thinking Storm would have a few hours to prepare at least. Lets say even 3 days.

Would it be possible in that time that shoe could make some sort of monstrous barricade made of ice and earth to take the blunt of the meteor? Or channel one big strike to explode it to massively mitigate damage? Or pick up a big rock and throw it fast enough to make a difference?

In the ice age match, I thought Storm being able to mess with Storms on a island, continental, ot wtv scale people areplacing her at would mean she could combat the ice age by making it warmer in other places. Sort oflike spreading out heat enough i some pace that the ice age isn't as bad. Could she mess with the ozone layer? Make it stronger??

I know Sotrom can manipulate the ocean or wtv to bring forth Tsunami greater than any i history. So, I fogurd maybe she coukd throw a Tsunami at an earthquake. Dame for fighting the Super volcana eruption.

She just has to "fight" them enough they wouldn't be classified as what they are. So the metoer could hit and do massive famage, but as long as it's no longer an instinction level event Storm wins.

I know Sotrom can manipulate the ocean or wtv to bring forth Tsunami greater than any i history. So, I fogurd maybe she coukd throw a Tsunami at an earthquake. Dame for fighting the Super volcana eruption.
    The thing is, earthquakes and regular volcanic eruptions happen somewhat frequently on the ocean floor, and that's way more pressure than any tsunami (which, for all intents and purposes, is a mere fraction of the size of an ocean). The scale of the ocean isn't enough to stop them, and that's already a space filled with water. Filling in mostly empty space (atmosphere) with water is to start with, and end with, less than already packed space. If the weight of the ocean can't stop earthquakes and regular volcanoes -- not super volcanoes! -- a tsunami isn't going to any better. Heck, natural tsunamis *come from seabed earthquakes and volcanoes.

It's basically taking the biggest rapid fire gun in the world and shooting millions of rock bullets vs. a densely packed mountain that's already there. The mountain is a great many times heavier than the combination of those bullets *and* the mountain is comprised of much more concentrated rock than all those bullets put together.

Also worth pointing out, the last supervolcano eruption was 26,500 years ago. It's important to note because with that implies the severity of a supervolcano eruption. On the scale of the Orunaui eruption over 267 cubic miles of pyroclastic falls and 330 cubic miles of magma, virtually any tsunami that could be thrown at it would evaporate from the heat well before the water could reach the magma at the surface.

Just to note...

In the meteor coming to hit the Earth scenario I was thinking Storm would have a few hours to prepare at least. Lets say even 3 days.

Would it be possible in that time that shoe could make some sort of monstrous barricade made of ice and earth to take the blunt of the meteor? Or channel one big strike to explode it to massively mitigate damage? Or pick up a big rock and throw it fast enough to make a difference?
    No amount of ice that Storm could put together could stand up to an extinction class asteroid.

I'm going to actually grab a very evocative quote from A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson because I think it communicates the forces involved with an actual extinction event asteroid impact better than I ever could.

“An asteroid or comet traveling at cosmic velocities would enter the Earth’s atmosphere at such a speed that the air beneath it couldn’t get out of the way and would be compressed, as in a bicycle pump. As anyone who has used such a pump knows, compressed air grows swiftly hot, and the temperature below it would rise to some 60,000 Kelvin, or ten times the surface temperature of the Sun. In this instant of its arrival in our atmosphere, everything in the meteor’s path—people, houses, factories, cars—would crinkle and vanish like cellophane in a flame. One second after entering the atmosphere, the meteorite would slam into the Earth’s surface, where the people of Manson had a moment before been going about their business. The meteorite itself would vaporize instantly, but the blast would blow out a thousand cubic kilometers of rock, earth, and superheated gases.

Every living thing within 150 miles that hadn’t been killed by the heat of entry would now be killed by the blast. Radiating outward at almost the speed of light would be the initial shock wave, sweeping everything before it. For those outside the zone of immediate devastation, the first inkling of catastrophe would be a flash of blinding light—the brightest ever seen by human eyes—followed an instant to a minute or two later by an apocalyptic sight of unimaginable grandeur: a roiling wall of darkness reaching high into the heavens, filling an entire field of view and traveling at thousands of miles an hour.

Its approach would be eerily silent since it would be moving far beyond the speed of sound. Anyone in a tall building in Omaha or Des Moines, say, who chanced to look in the right direction would see a bewildering veil of turmoil followed by instantaneous oblivion. Within minutes, over an area stretching from Denver to Detroit and encompassing what had once been Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, the Twin Cities—the whole of the Midwest, in short—nearly every standing thing would be flattened or on fire, and nearly every living thing would be dead. People up to a thousand miles away would be knocked off their feet and sliced or clobbered by a blizzard of flying projectiles. Beyond a thousand miles the devastation from the blast would gradually diminish.

But that’s just the initial shockwave. No one can do more than guess what the associated damage would be, other than that it would be brisk and global. The impact would almost certainly set off a chain of devastating earthquakes. Volcanoes across the globe would begin to rumble and spew. Tsunamis would rise up and head devastatingly for distant shores. Within an hour, a cloud of blackness would cover the planet, and burning rock and other debris would be pelting down everywhere, setting much of the planet ablaze. It has been estimated that at least a billion and a half people would be dead by the end of the first day.

The massive disturbances to the ionosphere would knock out communications systems everywhere, so survivors would have no idea what was happening elsewhere or where to turn. It would hardly matter. As one commentator has put it, fleeing would mean “selecting a slow death over a quick one. The death toll would be very little affected by any plausible relocation effort, since Earth’s ability to support life would be universally diminished.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

I'm going to actually grab a very evocative quote from A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson because I think it communicates the forces involved with an actual extinction event asteroid impact better than I ever could.
    Oh, a fellow Bryson fan

I want to second his book. It's a pretty pleasant and not-at-all dry read of facts, like a science book written almost like a casual memoir.