Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    If you dont feel it acts as direct telepathy, does that mean you feel TP resistance feats play no part in resisting it?
    It's a consciousness being displaced by another. The thing is, Doomsday isnt exactly a telepath himself and has been subdued by a consciousness inside his body before without his consciousness even "leaving". So.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    It's a consciousness being displaced by another. The thing is, Doomsday isnt exactly a telepath himself and has been subdued by a consciousness inside his body before without his consciousness even "leaving". So.
    That's not really an answer? Arguing that Doomsday lacks the feats to resist it based on his Brainiac showing is fine but I'm asking if you feel TP resistance feats in general should or shouldn't matter because of the mechanics of the thing.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    That's not really an answer? Arguing that Doomsday lacks the feats to resist it based on his Brainiac showing is fine but I'm asking if you feel TP resistance feats in general should or shouldn't matter because of the mechanics of the thing.
    No I guess what I'm saying is that even if Doomsday had some mental feats of his own like say Manchester Black existing without a body as a consciousness, that would be .....something

Here what you are arguing is that DD's resistance to mental attacks would imply he can stop a transfer of consciousness. The thing is, the Oviod transfer works both ways . So I'm not sure what DD resisting one side of the process will achieve.

Sure he can maybe stop Doom from entering his body but can he stop his own spirit from being "transferred"? And so on. I just feel you need to be an actual telepath to stop a process like this

At the end of the day, what happened between Brainiac and Doomsday was telepathic in nature. I feel like we're just splitting hairs at this point.

The same "psi blocker" that Clark used in the first part of the story to resist Brainiac's telepathic control is the same psi blocker Clark later used to keep Brainiac's mind from controlling Doomsday's.

Brainiac psi.jpg

Brainiac psi2.jpg

Brainiac psi3.jpg
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

And then this, at the end of the story

Brainiac psi8.jpg

Brainiac psi9.jpg

I'm saying it's telepathy no matter how you dice it.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    No I guess what I'm saying is that even if Doomsday had some mental feats of his own like say Manchester Black existing without a body as a consciousness, that would be .....something

Here what you are arguing is that DD's resistance to mental attacks would imply he can stop a transfer of consciousness. The thing is, the Oviod transfer works both ways . So I'm not sure what DD resisting one side of the process will achieve.

Sure he can maybe stop Doom from entering his body but can he stop his own spirit from being "transferred"? And so on. I just feel you need to be an actual telepath to stop a process like this
    I get what you are saying. Not totally sure I agree yet, but I understand now.

So, where does this conclusion leave us? If you aren't an actual telepath, it works no matter what? Poof- mind transferred? It feels a little "no limits fallacy" to me personally.

Doom for example can bounce planetary TP (amped purple man) from messing with his mind at all. He has willpower on the level of acting despite getting flayed and vivisected or whatever. Could the Ovoid Mind Transfer work on Doom? Like pull his mind out if he was actively trying to not let it?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I’ve always thought Doom’s mental resistances being stated as purely due to his willpower and completely ignoring his years of study of magic and his knowledge of the Ovoid mind transfer; and his potent astral planar skills as a result of those two things; seems kinda... nyerk.

Which is definitely a word.

I know that’s his presentation, but it’s a bit like Bruce Banner saying “I can lift this mountain because of the intense mental bitterness and rage resulting from my father’s bullying and violence towards me as a child.” and ignoring that whole minor gamma explosion incident thingy.

Mm, I never really understood how people like Doom, Moondragon and Dr Strange are not telepaths per se, but do telepathic-type stuff.
    ----------------------

The astral plane. Mighty muddled mansion of Marvel’s magicians and mentalists. It’s a thing.

Could the Ovoid Mind Transfer work on Doom?
    Yes I think so (and I think it has? Idk might want to check)

Aside from direct telepaths the only people I can see resisting it are folks that can function without bodies/astral plane stuff like Silver Surfer or Dr Strange or maybe even GL

And maybe niche cases like Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I’ve always thought Doom’s mental resistances being stated as purely due to his willpower and completely ignoring his years of study of magic and his knowledge of the Ovoid mind transfer; and his potent astral planar skills as a result of those two things; seems kinda... nyerk.

Which is definitely a word.

I know that’s his presentation, but it’s a bit like Bruce Banner saying “I can lift this mountain because of the intense mental bitterness and rage resulting from my father’s bullying and violence towards me as a child.” and ignoring that whole minor gamma explosion incident thingy.
    To be fair I think those mental resistance feats predate Room learning magic.

Which room learnt magic?

I bet it was the Mer-linen cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Mm, I never really understood how people like Doom, Moondragon and Dr Strange are not telepaths per se, but do telepathic-type stuff.
    The Ovid Mind Transfer was explained as more of a skill than a power. The aliens even taught it to She-Hulk although due to her gamma radiated body it didn't quite work when she did it.

Doom would win with his tricks, but Doomsday would win if it was a battle of raw power or damage output. The lesson hereis thus: Versatility trumps more traditional power.