Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

That’s a bummer. Was hoping for something new/different and in continuity. Really tired of the “Superman and Wonder Woman are evil jackasses while Batman is an incorruptible beacon of heroism” world.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It’s injustice year zero! First 3 chapters out today! https://comicbook.com/comics//news/d...stice-project/
    Link doesn't work for me.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    That’s a bummer. Was hoping for something new/different and in continuity. Really tired of the “Superman and Wonder Woman are evil jackasses while Batman is an incorruptible beacon of heroism” world.
    So much agreement. Admittedly, I'm more aware of it for Superman than Wonder Woman, and in various else-worlds. That may be because I don't actually read these stories, but only hear about them from reviews and discussion. I don't like heroes as bad guys or bleak/depressing stories, anyway. But I'm especially irritated on how often Batman gets to be the hero to their villains. I mean, I get it - he's the most popular, and he's human so you can have an underdog story if you don't want Batgod. But not interested.

I hadn't really thought about it before until recently, when someone commented on Spider-Man not always the one that did all the winning in Marvel events. I don't know if it's true, as I quit reading Marvel a while ago Peter Parker's universe rebooted. But it doesn't create fans for other properties, and may increasingly put all eggs in one basket. A Batman fan, who doesn't read JL, reads a JL-based event. Batman is the most awesome and most moral and saves the day with the others varying from mildly helpful to outright obstacles. There's no incentive for the reader to branch out and read other characters - they're all (often explicitly) inferior to Batman in both competence and morality. Meanwhile, the fans that were fans of other JL characters either get disgusted with never getting to see their characters shine and stop buying as much or shift allegiances to the "real" hero, Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Judging by their absense in comics and quotes from Taylor twitter, I assume, that most of them are dead.
    If Nekron is indeed the main villain of Injustice 3, they're probably will be part of his army.
    Yeah the only JSA members we have seen in Injustice have been Wildcat, Doctor Mid-nite, and Doctor Fate. and Hawkgirl existed but it’s hard to say if they had their JSA continuity.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Here's a better description of the series:

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-dc-se...ice-year-zero/
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I assume DC thinks Metal/Death Metal and Black Label isn’t enough of a reminder to us how “Batman is the best in case y’all forgot”
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-31-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well, that sucks.
    Agreed. Man, what does a comic book fan have to do to get a new ongoing JSA series set in main DC continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So much agreement. Admittedly, I'm more aware of it for Superman than Wonder Woman, and in various else-worlds. That may be because I don't actually read these stories, but only hear about them from reviews and discussion. I don't like heroes as bad guys or bleak/depressing stories, anyway. But I'm especially irritated on how often Batman gets to be the hero to their villains. I mean, I get it - he's the most popular, and he's human so you can have an underdog story if you don't want Batgod. But not interested.

I hadn't really thought about it before until recently, when someone commented on Spider-Man not always the one that did all the winning in Marvel events. I don't know if it's true, as I quit reading Marvel a while ago Peter Parker's universe rebooted. But it doesn't create fans for other properties, and may increasingly put all eggs in one basket. A Batman fan, who doesn't read JL, reads a JL-based event. Batman is the most awesome and most moral and saves the day with the others varying from mildly helpful to outright obstacles. There's no incentive for the reader to branch out and read other characters - they're all (often explicitly) inferior to Batman in both competence and morality. Meanwhile, the fans that were fans of other JL characters either get disgusted with never getting to see their characters shine and stop buying as much or shift allegiances to the "real" hero, Batman.
    Spider-Man is incredibly irrelevant in most Marvel events. It probably has to do with the way the Marvel see him thougth.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, Im disappointed that Taylor's new project is another Injustice series, I was hoping to see him do something in the main continuity, and something we haven't seen from him before.

But yeah, we're likely gonna get the video game announcement soon, and that makes me happy. Those games are fun as long as you don't take them seriously, and I like trying to guess who the new characters will be.

Taylor tweeted an image of Amazing Man punching hitler, so it looks like Will Everett will be in the story. Here's hoping he's in the game too. That's a character DC could do a lot with, if they put some effort in.
    I'm curious if this is a situation where this is the only stuff DC will give him, or if this is just the type of stuff he enjoys writing and he's in his zone here. If its the latter, hey fair enough. If its the former I think he's put in enough time and had enough success where he should get a chance for something bigger. But then again I might be looking at it from a personal subjective perspective of what I consider "big". Games make big bucks and if Injustice 3 is indeed around the corner and this will help promote that, then DC will see that as plenty big. Basically when I think a big gig I think of a main continuity book. But with the era we're in I think I might have to adapt that mindset.

As you can see, I'm basically just thinking out loud, lol.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-31-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm curious if this is a situation where this is the only stuff DC will give him, or if this is just the type of stuff he enjoys writing and he's in his zone here. If its the latter, hey fair enough. If its the former I think he's put in enough time and had enough success where he should get a chance for something bigger. But then again I might be looking at it from a personal subjective perspective of what I consider "big". Games make big bucks and if Injustice 3 is indeed around the corner and this will help promote that, then DC will see that as plenty big. Basically when I think a big gig I think of a main continuity book. But with the era we're in I think I might have to adapt that mindset.

I honestly think itÂ’s what he enjoys writing and I donÂ’t mean the content of an evil Superman or killing favorite heroes, I mean elseworlds. If you seriously start to think about it two of his most well known recent series, Injustice and DCeased, are elseworld series where he doesnÂ’t have to adhere to any continuity except for his own or that he likes.

Jon/Superboy is 16 or 17 now after a future trip? Not in my world heÂ’s a kid until he lives those 5 years to be Superman.
    Damian is on the outs with Bruce? Well heÂ’s living up to his father as Batman in DCeased
    -Green Arrow and Black canary arenÂ’t married? IÂ’ll fix that.

I assume a lot of writers like that kind of freedom personally, IÂ’m looking at white knight, and hey from the sales and notoriety his series (whether you like it or not) it appears to be working.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

He probably likes the freedom and he is probably better there, Dsceased was a lot better than his All New Wolverine or X-Men Red by far, his canon stuff usually come across as okish at best, based on his Marvel work anyway, i haven't checked his Suicide Squad.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Basically when I think a big gig I think of a main continuity book. But with the era we're in I think I might have to adapt that mindset.
    Definitely need to adapt your mindset. The out of continuity stories tend to appeal more to the non-traditional comic book fan, makes more news, and is often times these days viewed as superior stories. Obviously this is not true in every case, and there's plenty of old school fans who will disagree with me and fight tooth and nail to "prove" in continuity is the superior thing yada yada yada, and I'm not saying anything bad about continuity here - but the idea and belief that out of continuity stories are lesser/inferior/not a big gig is way outdated to the market today. Batman White Knight, Injustice, All Star Superman, New Frontier, Superman Smashes the Klan, Elseworlds has really come into it's own and is as big of a deal as any in continuity book.

I feel like Taylor could probably have his pick of projects at this point. He's maybe not one of the top end major writers, like a Scott Snyder, but Taylor's pretty well known and fans seem to like his work even when the concept he's working with isn't everyone's cup of tea (like Injustice). I feel like if he's doing this book, it's probably because he wants to. And Taylor probably has more freedom doing Injustice than he would on a main title, even if the overall framework is decided by the game studio.

Actually, does Taylor have any input with the game studio? Has he helped co-write the game story? Comic creators get brought in to consult and occasionally help script write, right?

And maybe DC considers this a big gig, or maybe it's just a bonus and a way to sweeten the pot for Nether Realm, I have no idea how the Injustice books sell.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Agreed. Man, what does a comic book fan have to do to get a new ongoing JSA series set in main DC continuity?
    It's looking like never so far. And with nothing in sight.