Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I wouldn't call cw superman positive at all.

CW Superman isn't good, but its a far lesser evil than the games and what Snyder Superman turned into. If anything CW Superman will just exacerbate the idea that Superman is boring. And honestly he's been fighting that label for many decades now, unfortunately.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    CW Superman isn't good, but its a far lesser evil than the games and what Snyder Superman turned into. If anything CW Superman will just exacerbate the idea that Superman is boring. And honestly he's been fighting that label for many decades now, unfortunately.
    What did snyder superman get turned into?man of steel is by far the best Superman portrayal since george reeves for me even with all the "hope" nonsense . i haven't seen much fighting.People have been defending superman being boring with contrivances and actually making him more boring.See, can you do a scifi samurai-esque or western-esque movie with modern superman? You can't. That makes him boring. On the flip side, it would be easy as pie with batman.Superman is typecasted character and franchise that's going into the sunlight. Slowly, but surely. It happens. It's not like they are making flash gordon movies.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-01-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    injustice once again, once again superman as the villain, it is clear that for dc superman is more a villain than a hero, I am sure that the moment the old fans retire, superman will become a villain canon. that's why I think the best thing for superman and its fans is for their comics to be canceled and forgotten for a few years.
    I really hope you're joking haha. There is no way Superman would ever permanently be a villain in the main canon. Side stories, or events, maybe. But not in the main canon. I also don't see how canceling Superman for a bit would help lol. If anything making people forget Superman (which is impossible) would make it easier for these "new fans" to make him a villain. But also, I don't think it's new fans who are making him a villain.

I was never into Injustice much, cause I suck at fighting games. But i could see this as a set up for 3, adding in JLA characters and what not.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I understand it's been a rough decade to be a Superman fan, but some of the sky is falling talk is a little hyperbolic.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    That’s a good question, because a fair amount of stuff from his comic series did wind up being in Injustice 2; stuff like the alternate universe green arrow with Black Canary and their kid and Harley Quinn’s daughter to name a few.
    Also the implication that John Stewart is from an alternate timeline since he died in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I understand it's been a rough decade to be a Superman fan, but some of the sky is falling talk is a little hyperbolic.
    You're just noticing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You're just noticing now?
    Really, what make superman different from characters like phantom, tarzan, flash gordon, heman.. Etc? I don't see it.I was'nt being hyperbolic,either.Popularity is a fickle thing.

People under 60 know who he is and give a **** about him? You can't even compare them. I can still walk into any major retailer on the planet and find Superman merchandise, people aren't getting Phantom logo tattoos. Look at how much interest the news of Henry Cavill leaving the role and possibly being replaced generated. Now see that to how much attention anyone paid to the last Tarzan casting.

Look, nobody will deny Superman's taken his lumps the last decade (20 years maybe?). His last few movies weren't as well received as they could've been, Batman and the Marvel guys are probably more relevant to younger audiences and yeah, his book isn't great right now. But to say he's somehow buried or forgotten when he's got a TV show coming (a spin-off of a series starring another member of his universe that is on its sixth season) and where one of the big hooks of a massive TV crossover involved audiences getting to see various past versions of Superman onscreen together. He's still regularly used in cartoons and video games and has a new animated DVD coming out (in addition to the multiple ones he's gotten).

He's not pushed as heavily as Batman, but saying he's a forgotten has-been like the Shadow or will soon be only known as a villain is insane. Most companies would kill for an IP half as lucrative as Superman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

He's not pushed as heavily as Batman, but saying he's a forgotten has-been like the Shadow or will soon be only known as a villain is insane. Most companies would kill for an IP half as lucrative as Superman.
    Ouch. Apparently the Shadow has an upcoming series of Novels by James Patterson. I'd take that over a CW show or a Zak Snyder solo movie for the character. Also the Shadow had a good movie in the 90s and was written by Garth Ennis among others in the last decade. Again... ouch but at least Shadow is not milk toast like Clark Kent.

BANNED

When the character who tortures and kills Superman's wife is seen as a hero, but Superman is made into a villain, I think that says it all. also far from the canon, in recent years superman has only had stories in which he is a villain or dies without contributing anything. I prefer that everything related to superman be canceled, to that he become one more villain of batman.

Astonishing Member

I feel like Taylor could probably have his pick of projects at this point. He's maybe not one of the top end major writers, like a Scott Snyder, but Taylor's pretty well known and fans seem to like his work even when the concept he's working with isn't everyone's cup of tea (like Injustice). I feel like if he's doing this book, it's probably because he wants to. And Taylor probably has more freedom doing Injustice than he would on a main title, even if the overall framework is decided by the game studio.
    Taylor wants to write main Superman comic-series someday, he expressed that couple of times.
    And regarding Elseworlds, it is also important that there is a demand for it. Injustice became huge bestseller, DCeased also is a huge hit. People seemingly prefer that type of stories, where everything can happen. And Taylor just that type of writer, who really can write huge blockbusters like that. But I don’t think that he will write exactly this forever, sooner or later someone will have to invite him to write an important series. Perhaps this will be Superman, given that this is his dream, as he himself said.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    When the character who tortures and kills Superman's wife is seen as a hero, but Superman is made into a villain, I think that says it all. also far from the canon, in recent years superman has only had stories in which he is a villain or dies without contributing anything. I prefer that everything related to superman be canceled, to that he become one more villain of batman.
    What stories have you been reading? Superman may be a villain in Injustice, but he's not anywhere else currently. I know the series haven't been that great lately, but still haha. Unless I've missed something in Action Comics or Superman....if I have please let me know, I could be wrong.

Besides, I'm not sure if he will even be a villain in this new series, it was before Injustice, right? Before Joker did what he did? So he will be a hero in this, for now.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    What stories have you been reading? Superman may be a villain in Injustice, but he's not anywhere else currently. I know the series haven't been that great lately, but still haha. Unless I've missed something in Action Comics or Superman....if I have please let me know, I could be wrong.

Besides, I'm not sure if he will even be a villain in this new series, it was before Injustice, right? Before Joker did what he did? So he will be a hero in this, for now.
    Superman year 1, the origin of the government dog. injustice, the history of the god of the Nazis and now its origin. deceased, tough as a hero, a couple of numbers is now a villain. Lois' black tag will be changed in the eradicator (even the Superman family are villains) not only makes Lois a villain, but they also tell us that Superman is useless. doomsdey clock, the great superman comic, almost does not go out and when he does he is in a coma or giving a speech (even in his own events, he does nothing). action comic, i need half league to face his own villains (i don't see a superman in batman, ww or green lantern comics, superman is the only one who needs help). in the JL comic, ww beat the eradicator, superman was useless. so as I said, outside the canon, he is a villain, in the canon he is useless.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    it may be that it just allows him more freedom. like he could potentially kill off someone like Alan Scott or Ted Grant with no huge repercussions for other books.
    Well, we know Ted Grant shows up in the Injustice 2 comic so he lives to the 21st century.
    Assassinate Putin!

People under 60 know who he is and give a **** about him? You can't even compare them. I can still walk into any major retailer on the planet and find Superman merchandise, people aren't getting Phantom logo tattoos. Look at how much interest the news of Henry Cavill leaving the role and possibly being replaced generated. Now see that to how much attention anyone paid to the last Tarzan casting.

Look, nobody will deny Superman's taken his lumps the last decade (20 years maybe?). His last few movies weren't as well received as they could've been, Batman and the Marvel guys are probably more relevant to younger audiences and yeah, his book isn't great right now. But to say he's somehow buried or forgotten when he's got a TV show coming (a spin-off of a series starring another member of his universe that is on its sixth season) and where one of the big hooks of a massive TV crossover involved audiences getting to see various past versions of Superman onscreen together. He's still regularly used in cartoons and video games and has a new animated DVD coming out (in addition to the multiple ones he's gotten).

Hey! I said it's a slow process. They didn't just suddenly lose interest in these characters either. Financial viability started dipping.They started producing less stories that people actually cared for. Slowly the character started being outdated. Then people just lost interest.And that's that. Think about it superman's smash hit movie was in the 70s.There was a time when tarzan was the batman of the era. That era isnlong gone. Superman could go that trajectory.

Ofcourse, my surroundings also play a part in painting my glasses. So far, i am the only guy who gives a **** about superman around me. I have seen them talk about joker movies or mcu with enthusiasm.They have either largely not watched meh! About man of steel, returns and even the reeve movies(this one, most haven't watched). Strangley, though everyone even back home knows his symbol and red undies though.Me, i was introduced to some pulp characters in early childhood by dumb luck. I am wierd like that. I like to read old stories by ignoring outdated stuff. So, i liked superman .My nephew generally thinks the character is boring except for some good ones here and there, like supersons or smashes the klan.i haven't seen any of his friends take to the character either.