Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Good foreign and independent superhero films?

Since coronavirus has ruined the usual summer schedule of Hollywood blockbuster superhero movies, I'm trying to get my fix with previously unwatched superhero movies. Which for me means more independent and foreign stuff (aka the stuff most people have never heard of) because if it had a budget in theaters I've seen it. I recently watched Defendor for the first time despite it being around for over a decade, that was pretty good to great. Earlier in the year I watched Rendel which looked very polished.

So yeah, I'm partly looking for recommendations, partly making a place to discuss these films that might not be able to support a thread on their own.

So I've watched...
    Defendor - Canadian
    Super - American independent
    All Superheroes Must Die - American independent
    Griff the Invisible - Australian
    Sparks - American independent
    Rendel: Dark Vengeance - Finland
    Valentine: The Dark Avenger - Indonesian

Planning or thinking of watching...
    Gundala - Indonesian film coming out in a couple days on Blu-ray
    They Call Me Jeeg - Italian
    Mirageman - Chilean
    Last edited by Vakanai; 07-27-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Might be time for you to binge The original Masked Dark Knight Avenger, ...with the Melodrama tuned up to 11,0000!

Zorro The Telenovela

If you can find it, for the record you have to go in prepared, and take it as fun, with a huge grain of salt, I'd never watched a Soap Opera, even less a Spanish one (even though I do speak Spanish), and this one does not hold back.
    This was pretty bizarre but incredibly fun experience about some outrageous, over the top passionate, sexy melodrama.
    From what I learned the Telenovela formula is simple:

Ep.1 Boy meets Girl, ...then spend the next 115 episodes finding any way possible of keeping them apart.
    And they mean anything:

From plot twists, ancient curse, and mysteries, an eye patch villain, gypsies, a crazy hunchback, witches, ghosts/spirits (yes one of the main characters may or may not be there), an Amazon tribe. Yeah, Amazons, as in this case a tribe of Warrior jungle Women . History and geography anachronism abound.

The back-story is very loosely taken from the Allende Zorro Novel,

These (unlike weekly shows) are shot daily in quick succession episodes, and aired daily, one after the other, for the entire run. So don't expect methodical writing and plotting.
    Production is what you'd expect. although they pull off some lavish period setting and costumes (I think shot in Colombia).
    The acting ... well does it mater? You'll be reading subtitles.
    Also the name of the Telenovela is La Espada y La Rosa, the Sword and the Rose.
    The sword is Zorro, but the star of the show is La Rosa, guest staring Zorro. There are long drawn out outrageous narratives that don't even include him, Keep that in mind. The whole thing has a surreal or magic-real whatever they call it element. You kinda have to surrender to that, If you can roll with all that, you might enjoy it.

Oh and any "Superhero" action is ridiculously sparse and dodgy.
    But Zorro dose wield dual pistolas, which is truer to the pulp incarnation than most modern versions.

(wait are those revolvers, damn, they can't get anything right)

Also it has an opening theme song by Alejandro Fernández and Beyoncé ...singing in Spanish!
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-26-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Might be time for you to binge The original Masked Dark Knight Avenger, ...with the Melodrama tuned up to 11,0000!

Zorro The Telenovela

If you can find it, for the record you have to go in prepared, and take it as fun, with a huge grain of salt, I'd never watched a Soap Opera, even less a Spanish one (even though I do speak Spanish), and this one does not hold back.
    This was pretty bizarre but incredibly fun experience about some outrageous, over the top passionate, sexy melodrama.

Ep.1 Boy meets Girl, ...then spend the next 115 episodes finding any way possible of keeping them apart.
    And they mean anything:

From plot twists, ancient curse, and mysteries, an eye patch villain, gypsies, a crazy hunchback, witches, ghosts/spirits (yes one of the main characters may or may not be there), an Amazon tribe. Yeah, Amazons, in this case a tribe of Warrior jungle Women. History and geography anachronism abound.
    The back-story is loosely taken from the Allende Novel,

These (unlike weekly shows) are shot daily in quick succession episodes, and aired daily, one after the other, for the entire run. So don't expect methodical writing and plotting.
    Production is what you'd expect. although they pull off some lavish period setting and costumes (I think shot in Colombia).
    The sword is Zorro, but the star of the show is La Rosa, guest staring Zorro. There are long drawn out outrageous narratives that don't even include him, Keep that in mind. The whole thing has a surreal or magic-real whatever they call it element. You kinda have to surrender to that, If you can roll with all that, you might enjoy it.
    While I've got nothing against soap operas exactly, and I do love Zorro, I'm not sure if I can find this on disc for cheap, and I don't have the wifi for streaming. Some of the old Zorro movies might be easier to get ahold of.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Zorro The Telenovela

And they mean anything:

From plot twists, ancient curse, and mysteries, an eye patch villain, gypsies, a crazy hunchback, witches, ghosts/spirits (yes one of the main characters may or may not be there), an Amazon tribe. Yeah, Amazons, in this case a tribe of Warrior jungle Women. History and geography anachronism abound.
    The back-story is loosely taken from the Allende Novel,

This sounds like a frikking blast!
    I haven’t seen a telenovela since I was a kid, but your formula is spot on. I’m gonna try and find this on your recommendation.

Also, I learned something new. You speak Spanish!

I recommend Haunters a great little Korean super-hero movie.

Incredible Member

india have

krrish, there;s been like 3 to 4 sequels now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qa3L9r

Ra-One
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9PlHc_qVKw

malaysia has cicakman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg78bzh3aU

vietnam has Sieu Nhan X
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bEozk1Zd_A

indonesia has Madame X
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfVK5LHtEs

thailand has The Red Eagle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToPPIe7yv3A

japan has numerous superheroes but one that is more western type is K 20: The Legend Of The Black Mask
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-h6C7LI1sY

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    india have

krrish, there;s been like 3 to 4 sequels now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qa3L9r
    For some reason I keep getting video unavailable on this one.

The others though look like they have better special effects than I thought they would.

How about movies that were bad but then later made good?

From Italy:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    How about movies that were bad but then later made good?

From Italy:

I don't know, I've just never been a fan of MST3K. I'd rather just watch the movie than listen to them ripping said movie. But that's just me.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While I've got nothing against soap operas exactly, and I do love Zorro, I'm not sure if I can find this on disc for cheap, and I don't have the wifi for streaming. Some of the old Zorro movies might be easier to get ahold of.
    you can watch the 1978 Zorro, The Saint tv show and Guardians(English dub) for free on tubitv
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-26-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Unbreakable
    Birdman

Extraordinary Member

All superheroes must die

Kitty Kills

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know, I've just never been a fan of MST3K. I'd rather just watch the movie than listen to them ripping said movie. But that's just me.
    Well, in that case, then no on the Pumaman. Even the director disowned it, saying it was the only bad film in his whole career.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    you can watch the 1978 Zorro, The Saint tv show and Guardians(English dub) for free on tubitv
    Thanks!
    What's Guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Unbreakable
    Birdman
    Huh, I didn't know those were independent and/or foreign, I remember both being a big deal at the theaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    All superheroes must die

Kitty Kills
    Oh yeah, I forgot that I watched All Superheroes Must Die when I was making my list.

First I'm hearing of Kitty Kills though, is it good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Well, in that case, then no on the Pumaman. Even the director disowned it, saying it was the only bad film in his whole career.
    Wow, that is pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    I recommend Haunters a great little Korean super-hero movie.
    Could be cool, I really liked that one Korean film I watched years ago, The Host.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I watched the Russian movie Guardians, and really enjoyed it. It has great effects and the story is pretty good too.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 07-27-2020 at 12:15 PM.