Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Could this racism row be exposing a bigger problem in the industry and more with Marvel. I always felt Black Panther was one of the weakest crafted marvel movies. It was as if Disney was holding back money to spend on VFX in the film or getting sophisticated writers for the film, which would have cost more. Black Lightening is also the weakest crafted CW show.Coincidence or not?

There is this saying in the industry that minorities never get the same amount of talent and money to make their art.

They are treated as afterthoughts and The White establishment only throw them bones while giving their white counterparts the best of everything because apparently, no one cares about minorities.
    Black Panther was a $200 million dollar film. It was one of the more expensive solo films, so I don't believe they were holding back money at all. Ignoring some of the CGI, the costumes and music were all emmy nominated stuff. The CGI may have been rushed, but I don't think you can really argue marvel didn't put money and effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    On this I must agree. I can barely recall anything he's done that didn't have glaring and basic plot holes.

Loeb's always been savy about what he writes, and editors don't seem to understand that if you give a popular character or artist to a writer, then yes they're going to sell reasonably well.
    Yes, but there's more to it than that. A writer usually won't get a popular character or artist unless they're already proven they can sell OR get their share of Eisners. Loeb has done both.

I'm not the biggest Loeb fan either... but the guy could sell. And I can sort of see why. His characterization and contunuity aren't exactly zen perfect, but I do think he's often able to create big fun stories. His Hulk book at times may have seen like it was written by a 12 year old, but he still managed to get a LOT of people to read the thing and talk about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Really? I mean season 1 of the Flash is one of the best things the CW has pulled off, but compared to where the Flash is now, I'd put Black Lightning ahead easy. And that's despite the fact that the last season of Black Lightning was the worst season of the show by far (I got so sick of the military occupation plot).

I guess there's no accounting for taste. Black Lightning has some of the better and definitely the most consistent writing, and some of the best acting and perhaps the best cast overall.
    Season 1 of Flash was perfect CW greatness. I remember it got some Emmy nominations, a rare for CW. Black Lightening season 1 was a let down in every way imaginable and I think race had a lot to do with it for the laziness and cheap production of the show.

This is real systemic racism.

Season 1 of Flash was perfect CW greatness. I remember it got some Emmy nominations, a rare for CW. Black Lightening season 1 was a let down in every way imaginable and I think race had a lot to do with it for the laziness and cheap production of the show.

This is real systemic racism.
    It wasn't as good as season 1 of the Flash, but it's kinda insane to me you think season 1 of Black Lightning was a let down - I really thought it was the best DC show of that season! I can't imagine how on Earth you can point to that as an example of systematic racism???

What made the show such a let down for you? Why is it worse in your opinion than the other DC CW shows?

It's really weird to me how far apart people can be on what shows they like. I loved season 1 of Black Lightning and thought it was an impressive and more serious upgrade to the writing of these shows, and I remember a lot of people giving it good reviews, while you found it such a let down as to think it's systematic racism as opposed to just not your taste or preference in shows.

I can't speak on Black Lightning as I haven't watched it, but as far as Black Panther,
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No way - the effects in Black Panther were amazing to see in the theater
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Black Panther was a $200 million dollar film. It was one of the more expensive solo films, so I don't believe they were holding back money at all. Ignoring some of the CGI, the costumes and music were all emmy nominated stuff. The CGI may have been rushed, but I don't think you can really argue marvel didn't put money and effort into it.
    pretty much this.. BP isn't a perfect movie, but you can tell that a lot of time, care, effort and hard work went into it, and it turned into a great product that was loved by audiences and critics. Systemic racism in the industry is certainly real, but BP isn't an example of that.

Damn....As if after Ultimatum I need ano reason to dislike Loeb...smdh
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Those two films are Asian-made films with an Asian ensemble that takes place in parts of Asia. they don't necessarily count. Parasite is not even in English.

Asians characters in your standard Hollywood films and tv are not only rare but when they exist it is for stereotypes.
    Crazy Rich Asians was produced by Color Force (American), Ivanhoe Pictures/Sidney Kimmel Entertainment/SK Global (American and Canadian), Electric Somewhere (American), Starlight Entertainment (American maybe? Hard to find specific details but they are focused on movies with Hollywood productions). Hollywood films do shoot in other countries, and are able to have non-American talent and many of its leads are American (Awkwafina, Constance Wu, Ken Jeong) and from the UK (Henry Golding, Gemma Chan).

However, you're right this did break ground because of how the movie as about non-white leads and focused on Asian culture.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Imagine implying Joe Robert Cole (The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story) is not a 'sophisticated writer' while acting as if you're against racism.

Some bad takes just need to be kept to one's self.