Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Jeph Loeb controversy over racism on Daredevil storyline

https://ew.com/tv/daredevil-actor-ma...-asian-people/

Daredevil actor Peter Shinkoda is alleging that a Marvel executive cut his and another actor's storylines on the show because "nobody gives a s—" about Asian people.

The actor made the allegations at a roundtable discussion during the virtual #SaveDaredevil Con this weekend. Shinkoda said former Marvel Television head Jeph Loeb, who was an executive producer on the canceled Netflix series, told the writers' room to scrap backstories for Shinkoda's Nobu and Wai Ching Ho's Madame Gao. Shinkoda is of Japanese descent while Ho hails from Hong Kong.

"I'm kind of reluctant to say this, but...I'm going to take this moment, but I have to because — because I just have to. I'm not into really protecting certain things anymore," Shinkoda said during the Zoom livestream. "Jeph Loeb told the writers' room not to write for Nobu and Gao — and this was reiterated many times by many of the writers and showrunners — that nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people. There were three previous Marvel movies, a trilogy called Blade that was made where Wesley Snipes kills 200 Asians each movie. Nobody gives a s---, so don't write about Nobu and Gao, so they were forced to put their storyline down and drop it."
    This is disgraceful. Good for Peter Shinkoda for exposing this.

There were three previous Marvel movies, a trilogy called Blade that was made where Wesley Snipes kills 200 Asians each movie.
    ...did I watch a different Blade trilogy from everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yea i don't remember that at all. I remember most the vampires seeming like white people with a European flavor.

I've had my misgivings about Loeb in the past, but...yikes .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    https://ew.com/tv/daredevil-actor-ma...-asian-people/

This is disgraceful. Good for Peter Shinkoda for exposing this.
    The irony is that it was the asian enemies on that show that were the most interesting to me.

Madame Gao was this mysterious lady who you wondered if she had some kind of mystical power or hidden knowledge. She oozed it from every poor, and look at what she did to fisk when he tried to get rough. She knocked him back like a god damn jedi.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea i don't remember that at all. I remember most the vampires seeming like white people with a European flavor.
    The coolest depiction of any blade movie was the one with the asian vampire. He stole every scene he was in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOkPixYeIk8

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    The coolest depiction of any blade movie was the one with the asian vampire. He stole every scene he was in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOkPixYeIk8
    I think he was the only Asian character in all three films. And he wasn't killed by Blade.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think he was the only Asian character in all three films. And he wasn't killed by Blade.
    Exactly.

This whole story sounds very wild.

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked that the guy who promoted Iron Fist like this could be racist against Asians:

(Also a reminder that Jessica Henwick told him to take that headband off at the panel.)

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

This whole story sounds very wild.
    It should be noted that it's Shinkoda saying that Loeb brought up Blade, and Loeb isn't exactly the best continuity guy around.

Additionally, DD actor Tom Walker (a white man) in the same Zoom panel said that original Daredevil Doug Petrie (who is also white) tried to pitch an Asian American or mixed race Iron Fist, which Loeb then vetoed. I'm curious to hear more about that beyond hearsay, but considering all the drama it took to launch Iron Fist only to meet some very disappointing reviews starts to point in that direction.

If these stories gain traction by corroboration by Petrie and other writers/producers then that's going to really put Loeb on the spot. The show is finito so there's nothing to lose, and word is that Loeb is heavily dislikes both in comics and in the TV biz.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-26-2020 at 11:28 PM.

I don't want to say that Shinkoda might be lying, but that quote about Blade makes the whole story seem suspect.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I don't want to say that Shinkoda might be lying, but that quote about Blade makes the whole story seem suspect.
    How does it make the story suspect?

BANNED

Wonder that too.

If this is true, it's an absolute disgrace. Hollywood should be more careful. Asians many times have shown to have the same movie talents as their white counterparts. Parasite moped the floor with most of the Hollywood films released last year.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked that the guy who promoted Iron Fist like this could be racist against Asians:

(Also a reminder that Jessica Henwick told him to take that headband off at the panel.)

It should be noted that it's Shinkoda saying that Loeb brought up Blade, and Loeb isn't exactly the best continuity guy around.

Additionally, DD actor Tom Walker (a white man) in the same Zoom panel said that original Daredevil Doug Petrie (who is also white) tried to pitch an Asian American or mixed race Iron Fist, which Loeb then vetoed. I'm curious to hear more about that beyond hearsay, but considering all the drama it took to launch Iron Fist only to meet some very disappointing reviews starts to point in that direction.

If these stories gain traction by corroboration by Petrie and other writers/producers then that's going to really put Loeb on the spot. The show is finito so there's nothing to lose, and word is that Loeb is heavily dislikes both in comics and in the TV biz.
    Wow,

That's some serious stuff. Sounds like Loeb isn't a decent guy. At all.

But the Blade part sounds like a bit of an exaggeration IMO.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Wow,

That's some serious stuff. Sounds like Loeb isn't a decent guy. At all.

But the Blade part sounds like a bit of an exaggeration IMO.
    There's more.

https://twitter.com/PeterShinkoda/st...90338958041088

#WaiChingHo aka #MadameGao and I, aka #Nobu of #Daredevil weren't at the season 2 premiere...because we weren't invited. Wai was insulted...and that pissed me off A LOT. We found out about the event as it live-streamed. "They" were sorry we were "overlooked". #HellsKitchen