Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Tell me, what's difference between cultural appropriation and cultural exchange?
    If they call it appropriation, they get to act offended by it.

Eh, if I think it looks good or feels good I'll wear anything cultural appropriation be damned. But Loeb looked like a dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, if I think it looks good or feels good I'll wear anything cultural appropriation be damned. But Loeb looked like a dork.
    THAT is the part people should latch on to.

It's not that he shouldn't wear it because it's not part of his culture, it's that he shouldn't wear it because it looks really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How does it make the story suspect?
    Because nothing like that happens in the movies so if he got such a small detail wrong what else did he get wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Let me guess. You are a privileged white male that does not belong to a racial minority group that is routinely appropriated from?
    If you have a point make it but Alan 2099 being white or a minority had nothing to do with he's opinion not all white people think the same.

which is what happens with appropriation when someone's culture is picked for a laugh and not treated with respect. He does look dumb and the bit fell flat. This was a tone deaf move bc it came months after Marvel was under fire for the CB Cebulski controversy. It wasnt a good look no matter how anyone slices it

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    If you have a point make it but Alan 2099 being white or a minority had nothing to do with he's opinion not all white people think the same.
    He doesnt need you to speak for him and thats not what was said.
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-27-2020 at 05:52 PM.

which is what happens with appropriation when someone's culture is picked for a laugh and not treated with respect. He does look dumb and the bit fell flat. This was a tone deaf move bc it came months after Marvel was under fire for the CB Cebulski controversy. It wasnt a good look no matter how anyone slices it

My apologies if that's not what you meant it just came off that way also I wasn't speaking for anyone.

I don't know what the CB Cebulski controversy was, I don't know if this was done for a laugh, and the question of respect is a hard one (people are arguing that white people can't wear it without being disrespectful). I just know he looked like the world's most embarrassing dad there.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    My apologies if that's not what you meant it just came off that way also I wasn't speaking for anyone.
    Oh no worries. Just to clarify, I was not implying that all white men think the same but a person that is not a part of a racial minority group is not going see certain issues the same because they inherently dont have the same experiences. Thats fine and at that point the most you can do is acknowledge that but be open minded. Its racially insensitive to diminish or dismiss the feelings of another group bc you dont deem the offense as being serious. Its easy to say coming from a place of privilege when you arent the group who's culture is being used as a joke or to make someone look like a fool for a bit. It hits worse for said group especially if they struggle for recognition and respect. My assumption about his race comes from the fact that a minority would understand this because this is our experience. For someone to not get that, I can only assume its bc its not your experience, which I could be wrong about (and would gladly acknowledge), but I dont feel like I was in this case

I don't know what the CB Cebulski controversy was, I don't know if this was done for a laugh, and the question of respect is a hard one (people are arguing that white people can't wear it without being disrespectful). I just know he looked like the world's most embarrassing dad there.
    Marvel's EIC, a white man, pretended to be Asian under a pseudonym, in order to write a several Japanese themed Marvel books. You can read about it here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvels-new-...sed-1820809573

As for Loeb, I dont think there is a video available but from what I read about writeups from people in the room, it was part of some weird bit that made people uncomfortable
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-27-2020 at 06:11 PM.

As for Loeb, I dont think there is a video available but from what I read about writeups from people in the room, it was part of some weird bit that made people uncomfortable
    God, he didn't do an accent, did he? He's broaching Michael Scott territory kinds of uncomfortably inappropriate as is.

Edit: nevermind. Forget it
    Last edited by Alan2099; 07-27-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Other writers on the show on Twitter have been tweeting some not so nice things about Loeb too...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Tell me, what's difference between cultural appropriation and cultural exchange?
    There is no exchange and if there is it's uneven.-Thats appropriation or more accurately, cultural theft. Taking someone's culture and acting you're the king of it and trying to write them out of history.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-28-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Incredible Member

Guys, I think I may have found the offending scene from Blade that pissed off Shinkoda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9HAYcIPe8

I think he must have thought they used hundreds of asians to make that one vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, they were in Japan, and the protagonist was fighting a Yakuza crime boss. Seems like an odd complaint to make
    It didn't need to be the Crazy 88 (or the dozens and dozens of them even though they're not actually 88 members). It could've been the Crazy Not-Nearly-As-Many. But more to the point, there was only one "good" Asian in the first movie, Hattori Hanzo, and that was about it. For the most part, the complaint is that Asian people existed in Part 1 for the sole purpose of being killed off. Then there's the implication that most of Japan as we saw it were wannabe samurai gangsters, while the optics of a single white person killing Asians left and right is pretty rooted in colonial history (only tangentially related, but Eddie Izzard has a hilarious but really on-point routine about why American movies tend to portray evil villains with British accents -- that, too, is rooted in colonial history and the deep ingrained desire to show the British our superiority.).

If a foreign country filmed a crime story in America and showed dozens of nameless, generic Americans as violent criminals but only one side character as a good American, and there was a graphic massacre of said-Americans on screen, there'd be an uproar of anti-Americanism. Which in itself would be even odder if it turned out the protagonist of the story learned almost every deadly skill they knew from Americans.

By contrast, consider a film like Beverly Hills Cop. Fish out of water, culturally different Axel Foley goes to Beverly Hills and ends up fighting or killing a lot of white people, almost exclusively. But the movie is also still rich in showing (yes, sometimes in jest) all sorts of people in Beverly Hills, from friends to fellow cops, from the rich to blue collar, even if they're mere extras or side characters, and obviously the vast majority of them are *not* bad guys. A number of them aside from Taggart, Billy, and Bogomil even end up helping Axel. So the film is never ever interpreted as anti-white. The most we get in Kill Bill is folks running away before the big fight, and that's it. Indeed, the folks running away are vastly outnumbered by the Crazy 88 (again, even though that's just a name and not an accurate count).
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-28-2020 at 01:59 AM.