Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sigh, this isnt worth going back and forth with. I didnt include a picture of the Britney wax figure, bc I wasnt talking about that. I'll let you have this and leave it alone

Mighty Member

I already had a chip on a shoulder over Loeb and how he helped sink the Marvel Animation division, but this stuff is just vile. I'm glad he's gone.

Mighty Member

I liked "Superman for All Seasons" and "the Long Halloween"... but I didn't enjoy most of the other Loeb books I've read. I actually hated "Dark Victory" so much that I stopped reading his work after that. [I found the plot twists to be stupid and insufferable... even though I knew they were coming]

so... this new bit of info just makes me feel even more justified for not bothering with his work. he seemed like the kind of writer that needs firm editorial interference to produce his best work.

BANNED

Could this racism row be exposing a bigger problem in the industry and more with Marvel. I always felt Black Panther was one of the weakest crafted marvel movies. It was as if Disney was holding back money to spend on VFX in the film or getting sophisticated writers for the film, which would have cost more. Black Lightening is also the weakest crafted CW show.Coincidence or not?

There is this saying in the industry that minorities never get the same amount of talent and money to make their art.

They are treated as afterthoughts and The White establishment only throw them bones while giving their white counterparts the best of everything because apparently, no one cares about minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Could this racism row be exposing a bigger problem in the industry and more with Marvel. I always felt Black Panther was one of the weakest crafted marvel movies. It was as if Disney was holding back money to spend on VFX in the film or getting sophisticated writers for the film, which would have cost more. Black Lightening is also the weakest crafted CW show.Coincidence or not?

There is this saying in the industry that minorities never get the same amount of talent and money to make their art.

They are treated as afterthoughts and The White establishment only throw them bones while giving their white counterparts the best of everything because apparently, no one cares about minorities.
    Yeah can we not turn this into an excuse just to crap on Black Panther or Black Lightning please?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah can we not turn this into an excuse just to crap on Black Panther or Black Lightning please?
    I doubt its an excuse, it is well known the Establishment always treat minorities cheaply. Asians, Latinos, African Americans.

I remember George Lucas saying how he had to fund the movie Red Tails by himself because the studios told him they would not spend money for the film's production or getting a-list African american actors they would not be able to pay. They told Lucas the same thing, that no one cares about black people.

When last did you watch a big movie with an Asian that did not have to do Martial arts. Once Upon a time in Hollywood?

When they pretends to care, they do tokenism and stereotypes. Jeph Loeb is just a small fraction of a much bigger problem that happens with many non white characters.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-31-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

When last did you watch a big movie with an Asian that did not have to do Martial arts. Once Upon a time in Hollywood?
    Crazy Rich Asians -- But it was big precisely because it was an asian-cast movie without martial arts and people wanted to see it.

(Yes, there's Parasite too but it was a foreign film)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Crazy Rich Asians -- But it was big precisely because it was an asian-cast movie without martial arts and people wanted to see it.

Those two films are Asian-made films with an Asian ensemble that takes place in parts of Asia. they don't necessarily count. Parasite is not even in English.

Asians characters in your standard Hollywood films and tv are not only rare but when they exist it is for stereotypes.

Batman Hush is basically softcore eroge, a badly written one at that. Loeb is a hack.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

No way - the effects in Black Panther were amazing to see in the theater, and Black Lightning is the best written of the DC CW shows easy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Batman Hush is basically softcore eroge, a badly written one at that. Loeb is a hack.
    On this I must agree. I can barely recall anything he's done that didn't have glaring and basic plot holes.

Loeb's always been savy about what he writes, and editors don't seem to understand that if you give a popular character or artist to a writer, then yes they're going to sell reasonably well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

There's also the Fast & Furious movies, Hustlers, Last Christmas, and The Gentlemen among others.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No way - the effects in Black Panther were amazing to see in the theater, and Black Lightning is the best written of the DC CW shows easy.
    I will only be stepping into Alice in Wonderland for 5 minutes. A world that up is down and right is left to see this as true.

Seriously though me and my family had to stop watching Black Lightning because the acting was so bad. A lot of quality went into Flash Season 1. Black Lightning was fan made, I felt so bad for the actors.

Extraordinary Member

In re to Black Panther, I believe that's literally the only superhero movie to ever be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I will only be stepping into Alice in Wonderland for 5 minutes. A world that up is down and right is left to see this as true.

Seriously though me and my family had to stop watching Black Lightning because the acting was so bad. A lot of quality went into Flash Season 1. Black Lightning was fan made, I felt so bad for the actors.
    Really? I mean season 1 of the Flash is one of the best things the CW has pulled off, but compared to where the Flash is now, I'd put Black Lightning ahead easy. And that's despite the fact that the last season of Black Lightning was the worst season of the show by far (I got so sick of the military occupation plot).

I guess there's no accounting for taste. Black Lightning has some of the better and definitely the most consistent writing, and some of the best acting and perhaps the best cast overall.