Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Under what conditions can Batman bullet time?

I was just thinking about this. I remember seeing some clips on youtube about a regular guy reacting to an arrow. The conditions were pretty specific, and I don't think he could actually see the arrow moving either. What I'm wondering is if something similar applies to Batman and bullets.

Can Batman see a bullet in flight, if the shot happens from far enough. Or is he like a regular human against an arrow?

Is it possible to see a bullet, but be too slow to react to it? Are there comic characters like that?
    Last edited by Marvel-Studios Rep; 07-27-2020 at 03:34 AM.

I can’t see that there are any circumstances (slow bullets or temporary power-ups aside) where he can bullet-time.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yeah, Batman can't track bullets in flight under his normal capacities.

Batgirl [Cassandra Cain] specifically can.

Yeah, I just assume he simply dodges trajectory rather than bullets, so not actually bullet-timing in any sense, including sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    I was just thinking about this. I remember seeing some clips on youtube about a regular guy reacting to an arrow. The conditions were pretty specific, and I don't think he could actually see the arrow moving either. What I'm wondering is if something similar applies to Batman and bullets.

Can Batman see a bullet in flight, if the shot happens from far enough. Or is he like a regular human against an arrow?

Is it possible to see a bullet, but be too slow to react to it? Are there comic characters like that?
    He has to be more than just a regular human against an arrow because a regular human is not going to avoid an arrow every time unless it's a bow with a light pull, there's a considerable distance and it's under ideal conditions such as on stage and the bowman is his buddy.

There may be some comic characters that have vision powers allowing them to see a bullet but cannot physically react. It seems unlikely since, in the context of fiction, you'd give a character the abilities to see and react.

Batman just judges the trajectory before the shot is fired. In real life, having fired a gun, I know that I think I'm aiming at an exact spot and the bullet can be way off for a number of reasons. If I, firing the gun and using sights, can have the shot be way off, it's going to be very unlikely that someone in the position of the target is going to be able to tell exactly where the bullet will go. But, for purposes of the story, that's what aim dodgers do.

So, no, Batman cannot see a bullet in flight but it doesn't matter because the idea is that he judged where the shot will go and moved just as the shot was fired, too late for tracking but technically before the bullet was moving. Bullet timers are so fast that they can literally see the bullet moving. Cassandra Cain would be a better example of someone equivalent to a highly trained (not regular) human against a bow with a light pull from a considerable distance in ideal conditions
    Power with Girl is better.

The only time I'm aware of that comes anywhere close to this, was in Under the Red Hood film. That said, that part of the film was changed from the comics. Bruce threw a batarang into Jason's gun (making it pop and hurting Jason's hand) while dodging a bullet. Comics version, no bullet but Bruce throws a batarang at Jason's throat.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Sure, if Batman is himself fired at the right speed and in the right direction that the bullet has slowed down or even stopped relative to his own velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post

I guess if/when DC retcons again and the new Batman has a bunch of bullet time speed feats then sure. But for post-crisis Batman the boat has already sailed. He has a TON of appearances with only a handful of vague bullet time speed feats.

Yeah the only way Batman bullet times is bs or retcon to make himself more super human. He aim dodges, not bullet time.

Big difference.

If the Flash lends Batman his speed, he can bullet time.
    If instead of being fired by a gun, the bullet is thrown by hand he can bullet time.
    If the bullet is rolling across the ground and Batman has a stopwatch, he can time the bullet.

That's all I got.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I guess if/when DC retcons again and the new Batman has a bunch of bullet time speed feats then sure. But for post-crisis Batman the boat has already sailed. He has a TON of appearances with only a handful of vague bullet time speed feats.
    Batman has stayed more consistent than most of DC through the reboots, both in history and feats. So I'd give the side eye even if there was another retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post

No! No! No! You're missing the point. The question isn't whether or not Batman post/new 52 or rebirth has bullet time feats or is a bullet tiner. The short answer to thise isnalready understood. He does not and he is not.

The question is under what conditions coud he bullett time? The heart of this is to know to what extent his increased reaction and movement speed compared to normal humans would allow him to acheive the proposed premise.

We know the answer to the above when it comesto humans dodging an arrow. So what about something out of this world
    trying to dodge a bullet?

What's the difference?

Last edited by Güicho; 07-29-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Or what Wonder Woman does
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-29-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Is that last one Batman punching bullets out of the air?