Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

If a bullet is fired into deep space from a spacewalk around the ISS in the direction of another galaxy while Batman stands on the planet, the planet is by default moving away from the other galaxy at speeds vastly in excess of the bullet due to universal expansion.

Batman wins.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

None of the above feats are clear bullet-time feats. When does Bruce start to move? Before the hammer drops? As the hammer drops? We don't actually see. Is he actually reacting to the bullets? Or simply moving so quickly and erratically the shooters can't keep any kind of accurate aim on him? We can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Is that last one Batman punching bullets out of the air?
    I've always viewed that as Bruce doing the smart thing and holding his armored glove over his unarmored chin. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So many people jump to the conclusion that he bullet times but most of these feats could very well be aimdodging, I agree. There are some actual bullet dodge feats from Batman (not posted here) but are they consistent? People always cherrypick the best showings and ignore the low showings. Whenever I read a comic, there is oftentimes some low end, which calls into question the consistency of the high showings. People always go and use the best showings.
    Last edited by OptimusMegatron01; 07-30-2020 at 05:44 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusMegatron01 View Post
    So many people jump to the conclusion that he bullet times but most of these feats could very well be aimdodging, I agree. There are some actual bullet dodge feats from Batman (not posted here) but are they consistent? People always cherrypick the best showings and ignore the low showings. Whenever I read a comic, there is oftentimes some low end, which calls into question the consistency of the high showings. People always go and use the best showings.
    Here, we go with 'high-end showings consistent with a character's presentation'. If something is waaaay outside of a character's normal showings and presentation - Spider-man punching out Firelord being a great example - it's tossed. If it's high-end, but not clearly outside of how the character is presented, it stays.

Bruce being mostly pegged as someone who doesn't see bullets in flight and then dodge them throughout his career (nor a lot of supporting feats for that kind of speed), we tend to see his very few clear-cut bullet-time instances as some of those SMvsFL outliers.

Plus, we're pretty picky with 'bullet-time' feats around here. If it's not clearcut (either by showing the person clearly moving after the shot is fired, or by them doing something like 'deflect bullet with small strip of metal'), it can generally be assumed to be aim-dodging for Rumbles' purposes.

tl;dr: On Rumbles, Batman doesn't tend to be thought of as a bullet-timer. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    What's the difference?
    There are some actual bullet dodge feats from Batman (not posted here).
    OK that's why I'm asking, those posted weren't defined or label as one or the other. Others defined them.
    I asked the difference.
    So based on that assertion there is examples for bullet timing? (I'll ask again), can you show the different examples how they illustrate bullet timing in comics, and the clear difference than?
    This isn't any kind of challenge, I am genuinely asking.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    If it's not clearcut (either by showing the person clearly moving after the shot is fired, or by them doing something like 'deflect bullet with small strip of metal'), it can generally be assumed to be aim-dodging for Rumbles' purposes.
    What about the flash in the muzzle?

Can you post examples of how they illustrate the different "aim-dodging" and "bullet timing" concept in comics, thanks!
    And then what is
    bullet dodge feats
    Is that yet a third concept?

Again I'm not making an assertion either way of anything posted, I'm asking for the examples.
    I want to see what people are using in comparing the different ways it's illustrated in comics.

Or are we talking about something that's illustrated relatively the same as far as "feats", and then just defined differently depending on the character visually doing essentially the same feat?
    Thanks.

Again conceptually I'm really curious on the visual illustrated side of it.
    Please share examples, and any artist who best captures the difference.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-31-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Ooh an excuse to post fun comic bullet time feats?

How about Garou parrying minigun fire?

Images presented are not sequential.

That's some spicy bullet timing.

Is that last one Batman punching bullets out of the air?
    He basically scatters them off his forearm armor, but more or less.

That arc also contains a previous issue where he in fact punches a bullet out of the air.

Both of these are my go to for "ridiculous outliers in contrast to his presentation and career"
    Last edited by Pendaran; 07-31-2020 at 10:48 AM.

That's great! You really need to show them freeze frame looking (hearing) at the bullet suspended ( although that comes out of the super-speed shorthand) to convey it.

Without that.
    As far as the dodging, they really aren't conveying a difference.

Not counting Batman's Wonder Woman block, or grabs agree that's egregious.
    Don't think anyone's ever accused Batman of grabbing a bullet out of the air! LOL!

That last manga one (love the illustrations) although looks like he used a force field.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post

That arc also contains a previous issue where he in fact punches a bullet out of the air.

Both of these are my go to for "ridiculous outliers in contrast to his presentation and career"
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-31-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post

Well he can also kick split what were likely dead treas, but taken as living, this would fall under slowly developing superpowers.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

That last manga one (love the illustrations) although looks like he used a force field.
    Garou has no forcefield, he is specifically just parrying every bullet fired at him.

Garou has no forcefield, he is specifically just parrying every bullet fired at him.
    Yeah that isn't conveyed very well. Looks like he just threw up a forcefield.

Also if Spidey is illustrated the same as Batman (previous page) without the freeze frame looking at the suspended-bullet panel. Is that dodging or bullet timing?

Last edited by Güicho; 07-31-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    I was just thinking about this. I remember seeing some clips on youtube about a regular guy reacting to an arrow. The conditions were pretty specific, and I don't think he could actually see the arrow moving either. What I'm wondering is if something similar applies to Batman and bullets.

Can Batman see a bullet in flight, if the shot happens from far enough. Or is he like a regular human against an arrow?

Is it possible to see a bullet, but be too slow to react to it? Are there comic characters like that?
    Inn the real world there is only a condition that can allow to a man to dodge a bullet or an arrow: the shooter shoots after the movement of the "target" and obviously that can happen only if the shooter and the "target" are planned to do exactly that.

Well he can also kick split what were likely dead treas, but taken as living, this would fall under slowly developing superpowers.
    Aside from the fact that is standard peak human stuff....this is kinda silly logic. The Hulk can lift a mountain it doesnt mean he is FTL

Using a strength feat to show Batman's superhuman speed or lack of, doesn't really track

That's great! You really need to show them freeze frame looking (hearing) at the bullet suspended ( although that comes out of the super-speed shorthand) to convey it.

Without that.
    As far as the dodging, they really aren't conveying a difference.
    Obviously, stuff like Daredevil pinging back bullets with a thin club or Elektra blocking them with her sais is clearly, them reacting to bullets in a way where they time their movements so accurately as to not swing/move too late or too early but just at the right time. This is literally reacting to bullets and clearly better than the just "dodging" you showed for Batman

Apart from that as noted, with the freeze frames and as you yourself observe, the characters straight up looking at the bullets on occasion, we get enough to know that they are reacting to the bullets after they are already fired, since we see their initial positions relative to the already airborne bullet. They are necessarily moving after the bullet is already airborne . Their positions change after the bullet has taken flight. This is clearly different and better than Batman moving at some point between the shooter aiming, shooting and the bullet leaving the barrel
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 07-31-2020 at 02:52 PM.