Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Should we blame Lowe for not firing Slott?

I prefer to credit him for bringing in Zdarsky, and getting Conway back, and backing Latour-Rodriquez on Spider-Gwen.

And in any case, a lot of people do like Go Down Swinging and that self-aggrandizing final issue that Slott wrote. I think Lowe as an editor should have pushed back on Slott's approach in GDS with all that Osborn-family drama that he introduced half-a---dly that makes no sense. Like Emily Osborn coming out of nowhere and so on. The main point of GDS is the confrontation and interactions between Goblin-Jameson-Spider-Man at Times Square. The rest is superfluous.

So as an editor he should have pushed back on that, but it's Slott's last hurrah so I guess he assumed he earned his indulgence, not to mention that Slott was obviously a more senior figure than him.
    I mean, considering the quality of Volume 3 and most of Volume 4, I think he could've done a better job of reining things in or having Slott move on instead of staying on the title longer than he should have, but that's just my take. I don't think Lowe could have fired Slott.

so lowe is like ok
    the line has not been excelling but he has overseen it becoming a more diverse corner with various flavors and leads
    but i'd say only venom is reaching its true potential and becoming something special, and that's despite marvel's attempts to cash in with back to back events and constant one shots, lewis is the lead on that
    oh god the spider-office puts out so many one-shots

i think all of the spider-books except ahmed miles i guess lack focus and lowe is probably the one who can do the most to fix that
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    so lowe is like ok
    the line has not been excelling but he has overseen it becoming a more diverse corner with various flavors and leads
    but i'd say only venom is reaching its true potential and becoming something special, and that's despite marvel's attempts to cash in with back to back events and constant one shots, lewis is the lead on that
    oh god the spider-office puts out so many one-shots

i think all of the spider-books except ahmed miles i guess lack focus and lowe is probably the one who can do the most to fix that
    I respectfully disagree. I think that because of the diverse voices that the titles are able to have their own style and flair. This may seem like a lack of focus, but again: that ultimately comes down to the creative team of each book.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Can you clarify this? because when you say "a lot of people have" it sounds like you are describing the actual thread here. No one here mentioned or judged Wacker or Lowe in terms of how they handled continuity.

Which is why I mentioned Tom Brennan, who greenlit the series and edited the original stories. Again already covered.

Spider-Verse happened on Lowe's watch and that brought many civilians to the entire run as well as Spider-Gwen, who along with Miles Morales is the biggest character after Venom and Carnage (and bigger certainly than any character featured in Slott's run). Remember that Slott's original concept and pitch for the character was a Gwen in her dying-clothes (Beige longcoat et al) with a Spider pattern. Robbi Rodriquez and Latour went rogue on his idea which Slott didn't think would catch on, so Lowe deserves credit for backing the team on that.

Not sure what you are talking about. But Spider-Verse happened and that led to a big proliferation of titles. You also had SPIRAL by Conway, followed by Zdarsky's Spectacular run.

What do you mean by impact? Zdarsky's Spectacular run sold pretty well, his final issue won an award, and stuff he introduced in his run (Jonah knowing Peter's identity, Teresa) have carried into Spencer's run. How does that qualify remotely as "didn't have much of an impact"?
    My comment on an understanding of what editors do isn't based on anything in this thread, but from prior discussions. But it is likely that some people reading the discussion might have similar misapprehensions.

The norm since 1976 has been for Peter Parker to be the lead in about 3 books a month. Sometimes the Lowe era had lower numbers, mainly because Dan Slott is not very prolific, and Marvel's post-BND business model (a smart one) was to focus on increased output of Amazing Spider-Man. To be clear, I'm only focusing on titles starring Peter Parker in the 616 Universe.

Sales of Spectacular Spider-Man weren't that great.
    By its fifth issue it was 69th place.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...7/2017-10.html

Towards the end of Zdarsky's run it was hovering out of the Top 100.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/2018-08.html

It's a fair point on the Jonah reveal having an impact. Teresa's departure at the end was a bit inconsistent with her return in Spencer's run.

There were some issues with Spectacular Spider-Man that could've been fixed with editing. It took a while for the book to get its legs, and the main story had 17 issues worth of stuff occurring in a short time frame, which clashed with what was going on with Amazing Spider-Man.

As a side note, it is worth nothing that no one in this discussion has brought up a satellite book that lasted for 50 issues: Spider-Man/ Deadpool, which highlights how unmemorable that one was.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My comment on an understanding of what editors do isn't based on anything in this thread
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Ottley, Gleason and Bagley would make the ultimate art team for this book. Hopefully, with the latter drawing "Sins Rising," and Gleason coming back with "Last Remains" we can have that trifecta.
    As for Ottley not getting much to shine with, to be fair, he did get the first arc for the book and that was pretty big due to the return of Peter/MJ and setting up the entire story. And he's also going to draw #850 as well.
    While true, Ottley deserves better. His art and battle scenes in Invincible are second to none. He’s getting little time to shine on the same way here.
    I hope he gets one of the big spidey events down the line and not just the anniversary issues with a few fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    While true, Ottley deserves better. His art and battle scenes in Invincible are second to none. He’s getting little time to shine on the same way here.
    I hope he gets one of the big spidey events down the line and not just the anniversary issues with a few fillers.
    I don't disagree, but remember: we can only take these things at face value and whatever rumors we hear. Lowe and Ottley may have something worked out that works for them: his Instagram doesn't convey any negative thoughts or emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I don't disagree, but remember: we can only take these things at face value and whatever rumors we hear. Lowe and Ottley may have something worked out that works for them: his Instagram doesn't convey any negative thoughts or emotions.
    One thing we can say about Amazing Spider-Man is that things are prepped far in advance.

Though I did get curious about who drew what.

Ottley drew the first five issues, 11-13, 16 (Hunted Prelude), 23 (Hunted Epilogue), 24, part of 25, 30-31, 37, 41-43
    Ramos drew a first issue back-up, 6-10, 17-18, 20, 22, part of 25
    Bachalo drew Issues 14-15, 19HU
    Sandoval drew Issues 19, 21, and 2099 Omega
    Gleason drew part of 25, 32-34
    Kev Walker drew part of 25, 26-28
    Manna drew Issue 29
    Bazalda drew Issues 35-36
    Coello drew Issues 16 HU, 38-40

Ottley seems to largely be given his own stories, whereas some of the bigger stories (Hunted, 2099) have multiple artists. A Gog three-parter can easily be preferable to the coordination in making sure your work is consistent with another part of a crossover.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One thing we can say about Amazing Spider-Man is that things are prepped far in advance.

Though I did get curious about who drew what.

Ottley drew the first five issues, 11-13, 16 (Hunted Prelude), 23 (Hunted Epilogue), 24, part of 25, 30-31, 37, 41-43
    Ramos drew a first issue back-up, 6-10, 17-18, 20, 22, part of 25
    Bachalo drew Issues 14-15, 19HU
    Sandoval drew Issues 19, 21, and 2099 Omega
    Gleason drew part of 25, 32-34
    Kev Walker drew part of 25, 26-28
    Manna drew Issue 29
    Bazalda drew Issues 35-36
    Coello drew Issues 16 HU, 38-40

Ottley seems to largely be given his own stories, whereas some of the bigger stories (Hunted, 2099) have multiple artists. A Gog three-parter can easily be preferable to the coordination in making sure your work is consistent with another part of a crossover.
    Thanks for making the list! Based on that, it looks like Ottley is given the most work out of all of them. I see what you're saying though about Ottley having the stories to himself. Because of his speed and style, I think he can lend himself more to those types of stories than keeping up with event #454

Astonishing Member

Nick Lowe needs to bring in the Morlocks and The Hellfire Club into Spider-Man's world, along with Nightcrawler and Captain Britain...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Nick Lowe needs to bring in the Morlocks and The Hellfire Club into Spider-Man's world, along with Nightcrawler and Captain Britain...
    Why on Earth does he need to bring in those random, very non-Spideyverse characters...? Besides, editors usually mandate long-term directions, not dictate what happens and who appears in individual story arcs (at least they shouldn't).

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

A good editor should be almost unnoticeable, the sturdy rudder guiding the ship. The best ones, as Jack pointed out, are probably the most unsung.

Following Ottley's departure, the last third of Spencer's run was an absolute mess of random artists assigned to different arcs, then multiple artists per arc and finally multiple artists in one book. It showed he had no back-up plan and when backed into a corner he put the regularity of the book over the quality. That is terrible editing.

I'm not saying it's easy to run the Spidey office at the best of times, but is no excuse for scrambling for the better part of a year over art on the primary Spider-man book.

Beyond has the same energy, albeit usually with one team per issue/two-parter now.

I don't know if someone higher up said to kill Spencer's Spider-man run asap, if he and Lowe had a falling out or legit if Spencer just announced he was quitting and left them in the lurch. Same for Ottley. However, it's what happened after that shows Lowe's lack of forward planning and skill.

Also, wtf happened with Non-Stop Spider-man suddenly becoming Savage Spider-Man? There is no convincing me that was the original plan (even if it was the original story idea).
    Last edited by exile001; 12-15-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Why on Earth does he need to bring in those random, very non-Spideyverse characters...? Besides, editors usually mandate long-term directions, not dictate what happens and who appears in individual story arcs (at least they shouldn't).
    The goal is to form partnership with other Editorial departments that would allow the use for loaning out each others characters for a story arc. For example, Kaine Parker could go to the X-Office for the use of Nightcrawler and the Morlocks. Another is loaning out Robin Vega and The Sandman to the X-Office for Captain Britain(Betsy Braddock) and Madelyne Pryor. Fair use of characters for a story arc..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The title says it all. How do you feel about Nick Lowe's run as Spider-Editor compared to Steven Wacker? Has he been able to grow the Spider-Titles? Did he bring new ideas that has helped with sales? Post your comments....
    Nick Lowe's books ship mostly on time. He will ensure books have fill-in artists and/or writers to make their deadlines. He's an excellent traffic manager. And he comes across as a genuinely nice person.

As a creative editor? He's a great traffic manager.

Ask the X-fans. Lowe's weakness - an inability to say no to writers' worst excesses and pull them back on story track - was evident when he was in the X-office, too. He let Slott stay on the book far too long past the expiration date and okayed mean-spirited fests like Spider-verse. He apparently failed to adequately wrangle/communicate with Spencer. Even if Spencer's departure for Substack came out of the blue, it's painfully obvious the Kindred story had been heading down a different story path than the one that was forced on it at the end.

Wacker should never have been allowed to communicate with readers but his regime mitigated Slott's inherent weaknesses as a writer. Slott's stories were better told and more coherent under Wacker.

Lowe gets the nod for bringing interesting writers and perspectives to Spider-Man. All the spin-off titles might not work, but he gets credit for finding creative talent and giving them space to tell their stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Nick Lowe's books ship mostly on time. He will ensure books have fill-in artists and/or writers to make their deadlines. He's an excellent traffic manager. And he comes across as a genuinely nice person.

As a creative editor? He's a great traffic manager.

Ask the X-fans. Lowe's weakness - an inability to say no to writers' worst excesses and pull them back on story track - was evident when he was in the X-office, too. He let Slott stay on the book far too long past the expiration date and okayed mean-spirited fests like Spider-verse. He apparently failed to adequately wrangle/communicate with Spencer. Even if Spencer's departure for Substack came out of the blue, it's painfully obvious the Kindred story had been heading down a different story path than the one that was forced on it at the end.

Wacker should never have been allowed to communicate with readers but his regime mitigated Slott's inherent weaknesses as a writer. Slott's stories were better told and more coherent under Wacker.

Lowe gets the nod for bringing interesting writers and perspectives to Spider-Man. All the spin-off titles might not work, but he gets credit for finding creative talent and giving them space to tell their stories.
    He's a fan of Jessica Drew's Spider-Woman. Back in 2013, he wanted Jessica to become a part of Spider-Man's world as his ally in a reoccurring guest spot. Instead, he allowed Slott to create Silk in Jessica's place in the worst possible manner. 2014's ASM should had had Jessica Drew as a guest working alongside Spider-Man against Black Cat and Electro. This would had allowed for her self titled Spider-Woman to carryover the Spider-readers with Peter appearing a guest spot in the same manner as Carol Danvers. He should not had allowed for the creation of Silk to happen as she her powers is a blatant takeaway of Ultimate Universe Spider-Woman. What I want to see Nick Lowe do is have Jessica Drew in a reoccurring guest spot in Amazing Spider-Man as he ally.