Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Should we blame Lowe for not firing Slott?

    I prefer to credit him for bringing in Zdarsky, and getting Conway back, and backing Latour-Rodriquez on Spider-Gwen.

    And in any case, a lot of people do like Go Down Swinging and that self-aggrandizing final issue that Slott wrote. I think Lowe as an editor should have pushed back on Slott's approach in GDS with all that Osborn-family drama that he introduced half-a---dly that makes no sense. Like Emily Osborn coming out of nowhere and so on. The main point of GDS is the confrontation and interactions between Goblin-Jameson-Spider-Man at Times Square. The rest is superfluous.

    So as an editor he should have pushed back on that, but it's Slott's last hurrah so I guess he assumed he earned his indulgence, not to mention that Slott was obviously a more senior figure than him.
    I mean, considering the quality of Volume 3 and most of Volume 4, I think he could've done a better job of reining things in or having Slott move on instead of staying on the title longer than he should have, but that's just my take. I don't think Lowe could have fired Slott.

  2. #17
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9,522

    Default

    so lowe is like ok
    the line has not been excelling but he has overseen it becoming a more diverse corner with various flavors and leads
    but i'd say only venom is reaching its true potential and becoming something special, and that's despite marvel's attempts to cash in with back to back events and constant one shots, lewis is the lead on that
    oh god the spider-office puts out so many one-shots

    i think all of the spider-books except ahmed miles i guess lack focus and lowe is probably the one who can do the most to fix that
    Quote Originally Posted by ???
    The world has changed, and so have I.

  3. #18
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    so lowe is like ok
    the line has not been excelling but he has overseen it becoming a more diverse corner with various flavors and leads
    but i'd say only venom is reaching its true potential and becoming something special, and that's despite marvel's attempts to cash in with back to back events and constant one shots, lewis is the lead on that
    oh god the spider-office puts out so many one-shots

    i think all of the spider-books except ahmed miles i guess lack focus and lowe is probably the one who can do the most to fix that
    I respectfully disagree. I think that because of the diverse voices that the titles are able to have their own style and flair. This may seem like a lack of focus, but again: that ultimately comes down to the creative team of each book.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  4. #19
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Can you clarify this? because when you say "a lot of people have" it sounds like you are describing the actual thread here. No one here mentioned or judged Wacker or Lowe in terms of how they handled continuity.



    Which is why I mentioned Tom Brennan, who greenlit the series and edited the original stories. Again already covered.



    Spider-Verse happened on Lowe's watch and that brought many civilians to the entire run as well as Spider-Gwen, who along with Miles Morales is the biggest character after Venom and Carnage (and bigger certainly than any character featured in Slott's run). Remember that Slott's original concept and pitch for the character was a Gwen in her dying-clothes (Beige longcoat et al) with a Spider pattern. Robbi Rodriquez and Latour went rogue on his idea which Slott didn't think would catch on, so Lowe deserves credit for backing the team on that.



    Not sure what you are talking about. But Spider-Verse happened and that led to a big proliferation of titles. You also had SPIRAL by Conway, followed by Zdarsky's Spectacular run.



    What do you mean by impact? Zdarsky's Spectacular run sold pretty well, his final issue won an award, and stuff he introduced in his run (Jonah knowing Peter's identity, Teresa) have carried into Spencer's run. How does that qualify remotely as "didn't have much of an impact"?
    My comment on an understanding of what editors do isn't based on anything in this thread, but from prior discussions. But it is likely that some people reading the discussion might have similar misapprehensions.

    The norm since 1976 has been for Peter Parker to be the lead in about 3 books a month. Sometimes the Lowe era had lower numbers, mainly because Dan Slott is not very prolific, and Marvel's post-BND business model (a smart one) was to focus on increased output of Amazing Spider-Man. To be clear, I'm only focusing on titles starring Peter Parker in the 616 Universe.

    Sales of Spectacular Spider-Man weren't that great.
    By its fifth issue it was 69th place.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...7/2017-10.html

    Towards the end of Zdarsky's run it was hovering out of the Top 100.
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/2018-08.html

    It's a fair point on the Jonah reveal having an impact. Teresa's departure at the end was a bit inconsistent with her return in Spencer's run.

    There were some issues with Spectacular Spider-Man that could've been fixed with editing. It took a while for the book to get its legs, and the main story had 17 issues worth of stuff occurring in a short time frame, which clashed with what was going on with Amazing Spider-Man.

    As a side note, it is worth nothing that no one in this discussion has brought up a satellite book that lasted for 50 issues: Spider-Man/ Deadpool, which highlights how unmemorable that one was.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My comment on an understanding of what editors do isn't based on anything in this thread
    Thanks for clarifying that.

  6. #21
    Mighty Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Ottley, Gleason and Bagley would make the ultimate art team for this book. Hopefully, with the latter drawing "Sins Rising," and Gleason coming back with "Last Remains" we can have that trifecta.
    As for Ottley not getting much to shine with, to be fair, he did get the first arc for the book and that was pretty big due to the return of Peter/MJ and setting up the entire story. And he's also going to draw #850 as well.
    While true, Ottley deserves better. His art and battle scenes in Invincible are second to none. Hes getting little time to shine on the same way here.
    I hope he gets one of the big spidey events down the line and not just the anniversary issues with a few fillers.

  7. #22
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    While true, Ottley deserves better. His art and battle scenes in Invincible are second to none. He’s getting little time to shine on the same way here.
    I hope he gets one of the big spidey events down the line and not just the anniversary issues with a few fillers.
    I don't disagree, but remember: we can only take these things at face value and whatever rumors we hear. Lowe and Ottley may have something worked out that works for them: his Instagram doesn't convey any negative thoughts or emotions.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  8. #23
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I don't disagree, but remember: we can only take these things at face value and whatever rumors we hear. Lowe and Ottley may have something worked out that works for them: his Instagram doesn't convey any negative thoughts or emotions.
    One thing we can say about Amazing Spider-Man is that things are prepped far in advance.

    Though I did get curious about who drew what.

    Ottley drew the first five issues, 11-13, 16 (Hunted Prelude), 23 (Hunted Epilogue), 24, part of 25, 30-31, 37, 41-43
    Ramos drew a first issue back-up, 6-10, 17-18, 20, 22, part of 25
    Bachalo drew Issues 14-15, 19HU
    Sandoval drew Issues 19, 21, and 2099 Omega
    Gleason drew part of 25, 32-34
    Kev Walker drew part of 25, 26-28
    Manna drew Issue 29
    Bazalda drew Issues 35-36
    Coello drew Issues 16 HU, 38-40

    Ottley seems to largely be given his own stories, whereas some of the bigger stories (Hunted, 2099) have multiple artists. A Gog three-parter can easily be preferable to the coordination in making sure your work is consistent with another part of a crossover.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  9. #24
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One thing we can say about Amazing Spider-Man is that things are prepped far in advance.

    Though I did get curious about who drew what.

    Ottley drew the first five issues, 11-13, 16 (Hunted Prelude), 23 (Hunted Epilogue), 24, part of 25, 30-31, 37, 41-43
    Ramos drew a first issue back-up, 6-10, 17-18, 20, 22, part of 25
    Bachalo drew Issues 14-15, 19HU
    Sandoval drew Issues 19, 21, and 2099 Omega
    Gleason drew part of 25, 32-34
    Kev Walker drew part of 25, 26-28
    Manna drew Issue 29
    Bazalda drew Issues 35-36
    Coello drew Issues 16 HU, 38-40

    Ottley seems to largely be given his own stories, whereas some of the bigger stories (Hunted, 2099) have multiple artists. A Gog three-parter can easily be preferable to the coordination in making sure your work is consistent with another part of a crossover.
    Thanks for making the list! Based on that, it looks like Ottley is given the most work out of all of them. I see what you're saying though about Ottley having the stories to himself. Because of his speed and style, I think he can lend himself more to those types of stories than keeping up with event #454
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •