View Poll Results: Who should play Superman?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cavill

    10 33.33%
  • Routh

    2 6.67%
  • New guy

    18 60.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    I'd want Cavill except it's been almost a decade since Man of Steel and time is moving forward. We need a young Superman who can grow into the role over several films, not a guy who has been Superman for a decade and will have had most of his career occur between films.

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'd want Cavill except it's been almost a decade since Man of Steel and time is moving forward. We need a young Superman who can grow into the role over several films, not a guy who has been Superman for a decade and will have had most of his career occur between films.
    To be fair, as someone who never bought the Cavill hype, I wouldn’t call that an immediate problem. Studios rarely have that Didio-esque ageist mindset where superheroes needs to be bellow a certain age. Nobody is really worried guys like Chadwick Boseman, Paul Rudd, Benedict Cumberbatch are getting too old for their roles. Because Hollywood knows how to keep their people in shape.
    Anyway with movies as a medium, 2 and a half hour pictures maybe every couple of years if you’re lucky, you can’t expect to see the full picture of these characters journeys.
    Anyway super indifferent about Cavill’s version of Superman, but on the age front he’s 37, the guy could play him for another 10 years.

  3. #18
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    you can’t expect to see the full picture of these characters journeys.
    This was always my favorite part about the superhero movies and franchise movies in general. I always loved getting the sense that life went on for them without me looking in, and then I'd pick back up with them however long later and we'd get a sense of the stuff in between the movies through the continued character and world building.

    I even dug the fact that BVS did that rather than being *just* after MOS. I had no issue just rolling with the fact Lois and Clark lived together, and that the debate over Superman was ongoing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!"

    - The Digger

    We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

  4. #19
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Routh. Kingdom Come.
    People love to say stuff like this but this is, in theory and in practice, a terrible idea that would undoubtedly be the exact opposite of what they should actually do to reboot and save the franchise.

    The most prominent complaint about the DCEU has been that Superman is too sad. I appreciate both MOS and BvS and I don’t agree with the hatred against the films but seeing Superman struggle so much was undoubtedly a huge issue for people.

    It’s all well and good to see Routh as a Superman who vaguely resembled Kingdom Come backstory (with several important changes) for 5 minutes during a TV crossover but it’s another thing entirely to build a franchise around that kind of premise when that’s your sole focus and the chief complaint about a franchise has been that your title character is too sad. It was ok for a few minutes (though never entirely worked for me) during Crisis but you can’t actually make a movie out of this premise without your story being very dark. Routh got away with still being “smiley” only because his appearance was brief and balanced by the appearance of the other heroes. On its own, it’s bleak and no Superman who isn’t a giant a-hole is standing around smiling and happy go lucky (which is undoubtedly what the general public wants from Superman after the DCEU whether we agree or not) after his wife and all his friends were murdered. It doesn’t work.

    Kingdom Come is a DECONSTRUCTION. It was a “what if/what not to do” story. It was not a blueprint. And a Superman movie where Superman himself is cynical, widowed and dare I say depressed is not how you reboot a franchise that has been criticized specifically for being a deconstruction. This doesn’t even touch on how incredibly stupid it would be to reboot a Superman franchise with a dead Lois Lane screwing over one of their most popular brands right out the gate. WB would never allow it and they would be right.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-29-2020 at 04:10 AM.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member Midnighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    People love to say stuff like this but this is, in theory and in practice, a terrible idea that would undoubtedly be the exact opposite of what they should actually do to reboot and save the franchise.

    The most prominent complaint about the DCEU has been that Superman is too sad. I appreciate both MOS and BvS and I don’t agree with the hatred against the films but seeing Superman struggle so much was undoubtedly a huge issue for people.

    It’s all well and good to see Routh as a Superman who vaguely resembled Kingdom Come backstory (with several important changes) for 5 minutes during a TV crossover but it’s another thing entirely to build a franchise around that kind of premise when that’s your sole focus and the chief complaint about a franchise has been that your title character is too sad. It was ok for a few minutes (though never entirely worked for me) during Crisis but you can’t actually make a movie out of this premise without your story being very dark. Routh got away with still being “smiley” only because his appearance was brief and balanced by the appearance of the other heroes. On its own, it’s bleak and no Superman who isn’t a giant a-hole is standing around smiling and happy go lucky (which is undoubtedly what the general public wants from Superman after the DCEU whether we agree or not) after his wife and all his friends were murdered. It doesn’t work.

    Kingdom Come is a DECONSTRUCTION. It was a “what if/what not to do” story. It was not a blueprint. And a Superman movie where Superman himself is cynical, widowed and dare I say depressed is not how you reboot a franchise that has been criticized specifically for being a deconstruction. This doesn’t even touch on how incredibly stupid it would be to reboot a Superman franchise with a dead Lois Lane screwing over one of their most popular brands right out the gate. WB would never allow it and they would be right.
    Just wanted to point out that the end of crisis when Oliver reformed the multiverse he seemed to remove the Kingdom Come aspects from that Earth, so that they never happened. That's why ,I think, the symbol was back to red and yellow without the black and the classic music was playing.

    But I voted to keep Cavill. I think he's great in the role and deserves a chance under another director.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 07-29-2020 at 08:07 AM.

  6. #21

    Default

    Routh would've been better for the Supergirl TV show- having him search for Krypton's remains is a good reason for why he isn't around for season 1.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,400

    Default

    I agree that Routh should've been cast as Superman on Supergirl in the first place, and I also don't think his world really reflects Kingdom Come much at all - nor should it.

    I kind of hate Kingdom Come, but I loved Routh's Superman when he made his appearance on Supergirl. I sincerely hope that his Lois didn't come back to life. Given that he's a secondary version of the character, I think that it's worth having a Superman who's gone through adversity and come out stronger for it. It makes all versions of Superman look better to know that's a path he can take. Which is I think also the benefit of having a Superman who's been through BvS, even if - no, especially if - there's never a story like that again, which... I hope there's not, honestly.

    I want more Cavill in the movies, but I do hope that Routh gets an HBO special or miniseries or something to be his Superman again as well.
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!

    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  8. #23
    (formerly "Superman") JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    I voted Routh just because only one other person did, but any of these is fine with me.

    1: Cavill has love from people for his Superman; even by people (like me) who hated (still do) the films. All they'd have to say is "Cavill finally gets to play the Superman he's always wanted to" and they'd be off to the races.

    2: Routh, same deal. His COIE appearance, while not being given much to write home about, got a fair amount of buzz. They could play that up and it'd be fine.

    3: A new person works, too.

    Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me - I'd like to see all three, in some form or another, but I'll take any - so long as Snyder and Goyer are nowhere to be found.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

  9. #24
    (formerly "Superman") JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I agree that Routh should've been cast as Superman on Supergirl in the first place, and I also don't think his world really reflects Kingdom Come much at all - nor should it.

    I kind of hate Kingdom Come, but I loved Routh's Superman when he made his appearance on Supergirl. I sincerely hope that his Lois didn't come back to life. Given that he's a secondary version of the character, I think that it's worth having a Superman who's gone through adversity and come out stronger for it. It makes all versions of Superman look better to know that's a path he can take. Which is I think also the benefit of having a Superman who's been through BvS, even if - no, especially if - there's never a story like that again, which... I hope there's not, honestly.

    I want more Cavill in the movies, but I do hope that Routh gets an HBO special or miniseries or something to be his Superman again as well.
    Agreed for most of this! Routh with an HBO series/miniseries would be fantastic. Makes a better Superman now than he did back then, and should be actually given something to work with, script-wise.

    As for his Lois, I think she is alive - the idea was to restore his Superman from the KC one back into the Reeve one. And, while I do certainly get your point and agree in general, I don't think her being alive takes away from anything, because we've already seen what would happen if something happened to her. He's already proven himself to be stronger than that.

    I also hope we never get another story like BvS again. But I'm sure everyone knows that, lol.. having said that, I'd greatly welcome seeing Cavil as Superman again.
    Last edited by JAK; 07-31-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,626

    Default

    I still want to see Henry Cavill in another film, I think he's great in the role and could be even better with the right material and direction.

    I loved Routh as Superman, but his time has passed, imo, at least for film. Would love him on TV in his own series.

    But at the end of the day, I'm a Superman fans first, so I will also give another guy the chance to blow me away. I think Superman really needs the right kind of movie, a feel good movie that reminds us why he is the greatest.

    Voted for Cavill, because he deserves it, imo.

  11. #26
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Id like an unconventional superman movie, not settled in metropolis either. The superman hate is because hes represents being a god amongst mortals and onviously he isnt but still comes off as too angelic in both intention and in drive.

    I want a movie where superman is at his most fair and square in the scope of his grand powers, space where he is more set to defend the galaxy than just earth and the villain is another alien powerhouse like mongul or worse brainiac.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Id like an unconventional superman movie, not settled in metropolis either. The superman hate is because hes represents being a god amongst mortals and onviously he isnt but still comes off as too angelic in both intention and in drive.

    I want a movie where superman is at his most fair and square in the scope of his grand powers, space where he is more set to defend the galaxy than just earth and the villain is another alien powerhouse like mongul or worse brainiac.
    For me, it's clark's personality that's boring. I want more of this guy.
    new52 superman farewell


  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,005

    Default

    Superman will probably be played by a new guy, I think.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #29
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    For me, it's clark's personality that's boring. I want more of this guy.
    new52 superman farewell

    They could nearly lift this direct story and the movie would be a hit. It would always be a hit but I mean, specifically in today's climate? Fuggetaboutit. Maybe throw the Anti-Superman Army into the mix earlier for the supervillain threat on top of Superman doing his social justice deeds. Instead of being led by Vyn, they're led by Lex whom in actuality is a puppet for Brainiac though we don't find that out till the end. Show Michael B. Jordan how cool John Henry Irons is and get him on board. And while I know t-shirt and jeans look has its fans, for the wider appeal of a general audience though I think it would be better to give him a normal costume.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-04-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    They could nearly lift this direct story and the movie would be a hit. It would always be a hit but I mean, specifically in today's climate? Fuggetaboutit. Maybe throw the Anti-Superman Army into the mix earlier for the supervillain threat on top of Superman doing his social justice deeds. Instead of being led by Vyn, they're led by Lex whom in actuality is a puppet for Brainiac though we don't find that out till the end. Show Michael B. Jordan how cool John Henry Irons is and get him on board. And while I know t-shirt and jeans look has its fans, for the wider appeal of a general audience though I think it would be better to give him a normal costume.
    If he’s at Golden Age power levels I think t-shirt and jeans would be fine. Easy way to signal this isn’t an in his prime Superman yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •