Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    That pose looks incredibly familiar.

Maybe thats why it does? lol Guess he based the redraw off of his old work? Which is fine, its actually really cool.

But I love this cover. I may end up getting it.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Like that he couldn't be bothered with the horrible new boots. Looks much better that way.

Great artist! Terrible, terrible costume!!
    Read Hyperactive Comics on comicfury, The Duck web comics and Tapastic!!

Nice cover. Simple but elegant.

BTW I'm also quite taken by the preview page showing The Machinist ... looks like a potentially cool villain.

Nice cover. Costume looks awesome.
    Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

That is one lovely cover.

Astonishing Member

wow, is it just me who isn't a fan of both JR?

I wasn't for some time. It was a taste I grew to acquire and appreciate over time.

Still not a fan of the New 52 Superman suit (especially with the high, militaristic-looking collar instead of the classic low neck line where the cape is attached to, something which even the Man of Steel movie costume got right) but this is definitely one of the best depictions of the New 52 Superman I've seen yet. Then again, it is done by the great "Jazzy" John Romita, Sr.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAtheist View Post
    Oh look, John Romita Sr. was able to take that horrid "Kryptonian armor" costume and make it look classy and elegant. I guess it is possible. If only he could draw the interior of the book too.
    It might be a bit of a challenge to a regular 20 page book.
    The dude is 84 now.

BANNED

He still has it in aces. It's true this is the first time the crevice suit has looked close to good.

Retired

It's nice to see that THE John Romita is still around and making art, but I can't say this one impresses me much.

First off, it seems like a waste that they didn't have him draw the classic Superman. Given it's a variant, there's no requirement that it has to be the current version of Superman. And I'd love to see Romita drawing classic Superman.

Second, there's nothing going on with the cover illo. It's just your standard pose. It's not depicting some kind of scene. I think Jazzy John is best at creating a dramatic situation--that would bring this cover shot alive. And there's no background detail. It's a very static image. Classic Marvel covers were always so alive.

Third, while Klaus Janson is a favourite inker, I don't think his inks suit the classic Romita style. If anything, they make John's art look more like his son's work. I would rather an inker with a slicker style had worked on the cover (and maybe added some background detail). The whole thing looks rather spare and the only extraneous details--those Jim Lee armour lines--don't improve the work.

Not that I would ever buy this comic. The way things are set up in comic shops, you have to surrender your first born son to even get a comic with a variant cover. If you're going to sacrifice so much just for the sake of a mere cover, it seems like it should do something for you beyond just standing there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's nice to see that THE John Romita is still around and making art, but I can't say this one impresses me much.

First off, it seems like a waste that they didn't have him draw the classic Superman. Given it's a variant, there's no requirement that it has to be the current version of Superman. And I'd love to see Romita drawing classic Superman.

Second, there's nothing going on with the cover illo. It's just your standard pose. It's not depicting some kind of scene. I think Jazzy John is best at creating a dramatic situation--that would bring this cover shot alive. And there's no background detail. It's a very static image. Classic Marvel covers were always so alive.

Third, while Klaus Janson is a favourite inker, I don't think his inks suit the classic Romita style. If anything, they make John's art look more like his son's work. I would rather an inker with a slicker style had worked on the cover (and maybe added some background detail). The whole thing looks rather spare and the only extraneous details--those Jim Lee armour lines--don't improve the work.

Not that I would ever buy this comic. The way things are set up in comic shops, you have to surrender your first born son to even get a comic with a variant cover. If you're going to sacrifice so much just for the sake of a mere cover, it seems like it should do something for you beyond just standing there.
    I think you can cut an 85 year old man some slack.

Its just constructive criticism. Nothing in even close to anything disrespectful toward the man. Chill out.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-27-2015 at 08:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its just constructive criticism. Nothing in even close to anything disrespectful toward the man. Chill out.
    Chill out? What makes you think I'm angry some how?