6 18.75%
  • 2 Stars - Lacking but not abysmal.

3 9.38%
  • 1 Star - Belongs on Reformation Island as a "How not to write WW guide."

2 6.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman #759 Spoilers

I read the first issue of the new run. As expected, Janin's art is the highlight here. Some of the pages are frame-worthy. He really captures Diana's expressions and body language perfectly. The "new city" is not really all that new as Diana returns to Washington D.C. I applaud this move as Diana's time in Boston falls into the category of "It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." I'm not sure if the ladies that helped Diana move into. her new apartment are Amazons, friends of Diana, or employees from a moving company. It would have been nice to see Donna and Maggie helping Diana move in since they both have ties to Man's World. The return of Maxwell Lord is a bit jarring with him making his fellow prisoners kill themselves. I'm still not sure if Max's return is a good or bad thing. Diana's *voice* is written well for what little we hear of it. The plot itself isn't all that captivating but this is the first issue of the run so it could improve as time passes.

4 stars but mostly carried by Janin's art.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Max is off to a bad start if he's looking for redemption. Would vote this as average since it's mostly a setup issue.

Art was the main star here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    4 stars but mostly carried by Janin's art.
    Exactly how I feel. The story wasn't horrible, but it sucks knowing that Max Lord is going to take up a ton of comic time. And no acknowledgement of the neck snap despite the comic stating they've fought before.

I don't see how Diana can suddenly get chummy with someone who literally just had dozens of people kill themselves (criminals or not).

It also sucks knowing from the solicits that Diana's new friend with the rabbit is a villain, though maybe she's just a construct created by Lord.

But that art. Man.

Yea, its really the art that sells this. The start was ok, it is only a first issue, but this is still a "team" I'm not really looking forward to. Max and Diana I mean. And still with the sword and shield, like come on, she was not in one situation that called for it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Do we know why she's moving to washington DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Exactly how I feel. The story wasn't horrible, but it sucks knowing that Max Lord is going to take up a ton of comic time. And no acknowledgement of the neck snap despite the comic stating they've fought before.

I don't see how Diana can suddenly get chummy with someone who literally just had dozens of people kill themselves (criminals or not).

It also sucks knowing from the solicits that Diana's new friend with the rabbit is a villain, though maybe she's just a construct created by Lord.

But that art. Man.
    Yeah, I felt that was a weird way to reintroduce Max, if he's going to be a antihero/ally in this run.

This is very much an intro issue, despite that #758 very much ended on a dun-dun-dun note. In a way, I think this is one of the big flaws of many of the writers currently involved with DC: they simply do not know how to end a story.

But that's kvetching about last issue. I'm here to chew bubblegum and kvetch about this issue, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Things I like:

Diana in regular clothes, doing regular things, and doing "everyday" heroics. Her taking her heels off in order to chase after the speeding car is a nice touch. Diana interacting with "normal" people, even if (or especially if) one of those is a rabbit.

Things I'm on the fence about:

The art. There is a lot of linework and the kinetics that I like, but I think a lot of the faces look flat—probably from the colouring. I also think that the expressions on Diana's face are off. Few if any of the situations she is in should evoke fear or anger on her part. And on page 8, where she meets Mullaney, she ought to look joyful but she more manic and creepy to me.

The move to Washington DC. While I think a return there is good in the long run for Wonder Woman, this one simply comes out of nowhere.

Things I dislike:

The continued emphasis on Diana wielding a sword and shield, and on the Amazons as an "island of warriors". The blue narration, which I guess is omniscient but might be Max Lord. If it's Max Lord, then it's fine, but if it's omniscient then it feels like rather nihilistic. That justice is complex and messy doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and I think it's been rather clearly demonstrated that people are willing to fight for both values and for other people.

It also seems to go back to Diana being clueless about the culture of Man's World, in the way she reacts to the IKEA-clone. Now, I'm all for Diana disagreeing with the culture of Man's World, but not that she is clueless about it outside of a dedicated origin story.

Having Max Lord return, but that's clearly outside the writer's hands. I'll just pretend it's Doctor Psycho.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I too was very surprised to see Diana whipping out her sword and shield to fight a bunch of (mind-controlled) humans. It looks so silly with her constantly using the handle of the sword to beat her opponents.

Unfortunately, I think to most at DC and elsewhere Wonder Woman with a sword and shield is just a part of her default now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Unfortunately, I think to most at DC and elsewhere Wonder Woman with a sword and shield is just a part of her default now.
    Drawing exactly the wrong lesson from the 2017 movie, despite the sword being one giant red herring there… At least Jenkins and Gadot seems to have their head straight on regarding this.

And speaking of swords as fish, here is Monty Python's fish slapping dance

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Considering my how often Diana gets a new "down to earth" ally, they should just give Etta her original personality back.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I too was very surprised to see Diana whipping out her sword and shield to fight a bunch of (mind-controlled) humans. It looks so silly with her constantly using the handle of the sword to beat her opponents.

That was one of the things I liked about Orlando's run. He minimized the use of the sword and the shield.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

It was good for a first issue. But after so kuch synergy with the upcoming movie, they could have left the sword and shield behind.Since WW84 doesn't use them. Diana with a sword and shield to face a bunch of humans is just silly.

Yes, this is where Diana should whip out her Lasso. This is a perfect time for the Lasso.

Amazon moving team in D.C. loved it. Diana wore strappy high heeled sandals to go furniture shopping, loved it. She has a car and decor from home, loved it. Two feats in two pages, loved it. Deducing the source of the problem and being proactive to solve it, loved it. The Casablanca reference, the tone, the dialogue, the suspense, loved it.

Remember all is not what it seems, I think the sword against the prisoners was an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Amazon moving team in D.C. loved it. Diana wore strappy high heeled sandals to go furniture shopping, loved it. She has a car and decor from home, loved it. Two feats in two pages, loved it. Deducing the source of the problem and being proactive to solve it, loved it. The tone, the dialogue, the suspense, loved it.

Remember all is not what it seems, I think the sword against the prisoners was an illusion.
    That would actually be a real clever twist. I didn't think of that. The new villain is "Lair Lair". Though if it was an illusion, Diana should see through it pretty easily, she has a good track record of doing that.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor