17 53.13%
  • 3 Stars - Average

6 18.75%
  • 2 Stars - Lacking but not abysmal.

3 9.38%
  • 1 Star - Belongs on Reformation Island as a "How not to write WW guide."

2 6.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

And I laughed out loud at the "This is not a good store" line. Mariko Tamaki got Diana's sense of humor and how she tells a joke...dryly.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    And I laughed out loud at the "This is not a good store" line. Mariko Tamaki got Diana's sense of humor and how she tells a joke...dryly.
    Diana had a dry sense of humor when Gail Simone was writing her.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    This is very much an intro issue, despite that #758 very much ended on a dun-dun-dun note. In a way, I think this is one of the big flaws of many of the writers currently involved with DC: they simply do not know how to end a story.

But that's kvetching about last issue. I'm here to chew bubblegum and kvetch about this issue, and I'm all out of bubblegum..
    Orlando's last issue is meant to tie into the upcoming annual.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed this issue, especially the little touches, like the Amazon movers, the foul-mouthed bunny, the commentary on the do-it-yourself furniture store. The art was fantastic, too.

One thing that puzzled and annoyed me: why on Earth did Diana run after the car? And then leap onto/into it? From the way she was behaving, it was like the writer has forgotten that she can fly. Very bizarre behavior!

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    That would actually be a real clever twist. I didn't think of that. The new villain is "Lair Lair". Though if it was an illusion, Diana should see through it pretty easily, she has a good track record of doing that.
    If it was an illusion it wasn't for her, it was for us, the viewers. First there was that weird red light held over from the first page where Max was using his powers. Then there was the text blurring the lines between heroes and villains and the definition of justice. Swords do have flat sides, but Diana was doing a lot of swinging yet there was no blood. However there was a "Swip" sound effect that sounded like the lasso, the go to weapon Diana would have used in that instance. She issued no warnings, no speeches appealing to the prisoners' better natures, just instant violence which isn't like her. She acted the way Max would have wanted her to, and the way that would put her in a bad light with any authorities seeing the visuals.

I could be totally wrong, I'm just saying what I think may have been happening.

I'm out on this arc. It's the same pattern DC's had this last year: pump YA materials in the ads, hire an award winning author, aim for the YA crowd. I'm 1000% for getting a new generation on board with Wonder Woman - nostalgia is the reason I'm here, those were some good times! Keep this accessible for the whole age spread of actual comic book fans instead of courting the YA novel crowd and this will be back on my pull list 8).

I didn't particularly care for the issue, this kind of fluff is not my cup of tea. And why does Diana still act like a tourist? She's been living in US for how many years at this point?

Incredible Member

I got a chance to read this yesterday, and I thought it was the best issue of Wonder Woman I've read since Rucka's departure. It had a breezy and inviting tone, and the art was simply gorgeous. As concerned as I was about Liar Liar, I actually did think she was likeable in this issue. I absolutely loved Mulaney, and I usually don't like animals. I even hope Diana gets to keep Mulaney.

I know that is going to be unpopular, but I love Max Lord as a Wonder Woman villain. The two just seem to have such effortless chemistry, and I loved the ending scene with the two coming face to face. I even like how Lord's prescense automatically pushes Diana to her empathetic limit, and she knows this is a man willing to do anything and harm anyone to get what he wants. The scene where everyone kills themselves was spectacular. I can't wait to see more of the Lord/Diana dynamic. It's a winning combo.

Spectacular Member

Is it just me or was the font different to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewFieldhouse View Post
    It is NOT just you. It didn't even look much like Pat Brousseau's usual lettering work. No likey. Not sure what they could be trying to covey with the crude almost sloppiness of the dialogue bubbles contrasted with the neater appearance of the narrator boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewFieldhouse View Post
    No, I was astonished to see such a shaky lettering. Was that on purpose? I don‘t really think so.

Issue itself was so-so, some of the art was great, like the dinosaur spread, but not a fan of too much 3D model use. And did you see the boy in the car?
    Story was okay-ish, for a first issue too weak. Come on, saving a boy and his mom from a crash..., yes sure, heroic, but we are talking about WW here.

3.5 out of 5 stars for me, heck I'll bump it up to a 4 for the artwork alone. The best issue of Wonder Woman I've read in quite some time.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-07-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars if only for the art. I do hope the artist allows Diana to put down the sword and shield soon, though. I agree with a previous poster who stated that it looks silly for a person with Di's power set to be fighting ordinary mortals with a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Glad it's successful, there are a lot of reviews on twitter and youtube for a WW book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOnbTs0yN6k