Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would someone please explain Hawkman and Hawkgirl/Hawkwomans new origin?

Big Hawkman fan here. Both Carter and Katar. I know the history, reboots like the back of my hand right up to the New 52 and Rebirth.

Would someone be able to give me a brief history of the character now? Are Carter and Katar still two different people? Because I had heard that now Katar is one of Carters past lives? Also, is Kendra still the reincarnation of Shiera? Because I heard something along the lines that Shayera is somehow the reincarnated Shiera.

Also, do Hawk fans recommend the current series? Should I pick it up?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hol; 07-28-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Big Hawkman fan here. Both Carter and Katar. I know the history, reboots like the back of my hand right up to the New 52 and Rebirth.

Would someone be able to give me a brief history of the character now? Are Carter and Katar still two different people? Because I had heard that now Katar is one of Carters past lives? Also, is Kendra still the reincarnation of Shiera? Because I heard something along the lines that Shayera is somehow the reincarnated Shiera.

Carter and Katar are one and the same now. The new series revealed that he's been reincarnating across time and space, and at certain points multiple versions of him existed simultaneously, and Prince Khufu is no longer his original incarnation.

IIRC both Shayera and Kendra are supposed to be Shiera's reincarnations, but Shayera =/= Kendra. The chain of resurrection was split in two due to some shenanigans, so Shayera and Kendra are seperate characters. It was explained in Snyder's Justice League.

Definitely recommend the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Carter and Katar are one and the same now. The new series revealed that he's been reincarnating across time and space, and at certain points multiple versions of him existed simultaneously, and Prince Khufu is no longer his original incarnation.

IIRC both Shayera and Kendra are supposed to be Shiera's reincarnations, but Shayera =/= Kendra. The chain of resurrection was split in two due to some shenanigans, so Shayera and Kendra are seperate characters. It was explained in Snyder's Justice League.

Definitely recommend the series.
    I mean that just seems more confusing than ever...especially in regards to the female Hawks. But that's DC right? lol

Is Prince Khufu a version of Hawkman at all still? Just not the original?

I mean that just seems more confusing than ever...especially in regards to the female Hawks. But that's DC right? lol

In Hawkman's case I don't think is that confusing, Venditti only expand the scope of the reincarnation. Even the Hawkmen of different universes are the same guy, more or less. In the case of Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl is a little confusing, mainly because Snyder wanted to pair Hawkgirl with Martian Manhunter.

Extraordinary Member

I guess this means we'll never get Katar and Shiera Hol as independent heroes. I hate all the reincarnation garbage.

They don't even have to call them Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Just give me Katar and Shiera from Thanagar.

Boisterously Confused

It's a mess, but not as bad a mess as once it was. To answer your question, yes, Khufu is one of the Hawkman's many incarnations across time and space. The part that gives me nosebleeds is that, in a DC where "it all happened," at least once, he would have been reincarnated in two different points in space during time periods where the two lifespans overlapped (Hawkworld's Katar Hol and the current Carter Hall).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I guess this means we'll never get Katar and Shiera Hol as independent heroes. I hate all the reincarnation garbage.

They don't even have to call them Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Just give me Katar and Shiera from Thanagar.
    I don't really understand why "reincarnation" Hawkman won. To me Hawkworld was perfect set up and DC botched it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't really understand why "reincarnation" Hawkman won. To me Hawkworld was perfect set up and DC botched it completely.
    Agreed. Hawkworld is a perfect version and origin for the Hawks. Plus honestly I liked how Ostrander and later Johns cleaned up continuity.

So I am going to pick up the first trade of the current run on Comixology...but I have a quick question...since Hawkman can reincarnate over space and time, does that mean Katar and Carter are both currently alive? Or is Katar still dead as he was pre Flashpoint? Just asking because Shayera was dead pre Flashpoint.

All-New Member

Thanks!

Why bother? It's just going to change again in a few months.

Brightest Day was not regarded highly
    but it was in my opinion the perfect Hawks starting point
    and then Flashpoint and New Sh!tty2 ruined it and everything else.

So I am going to pick up the first trade of the current run on Comixology...but I have a quick question...since Hawkman can reincarnate over space and time, does that mean Katar and Carter are both currently alive? Or is Katar still dead as he was pre Flashpoint? Just asking because Shayera was dead pre Flashpoint.
    Katar was alive, thanks in part to the New 52, however he died in the death of Hawkman miniseries. However Shayera is still alive, and later on after the first trade becomes a regular in the series with Carter.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Hawkman is rumored to appear in the Black Adam movie and there may be scenes from ancient Egypt with Prince Khufu. So I wouldn’t be surprised if DC tries to streamline his origin again and go with something similar to what Johns came up with. Which in my opinion was the best version as it found a way to incorporate Thanagar and the Egyptian origins.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Katar was alive, thanks in part to the New 52, however he died in the death of Hawkman miniseries. However Shayera is still alive, and later on after the first trade becomes a regular in the series with Carter.
    I’m sorry I’m a little confused wasn’t that Katar Hol going by Carter Hall on Earth in the Nu52? So where did the current Hawkman come from? I get that they can both exist at the same time but did they? Do they address how at one point there were two Carter Halls on earth? It isn’t like the current one returned now with the JSA in Doomsday Clock. He’s been around for a couple years.

I’m sorry I’m a little confused wasn’t that Katar Hol going by Carter Hall on Earth in the Nu52? So where did the current Hawkman come from? I get that they can both exist at the same time but did they? Do they address how at one point there were two Carter Halls on earth? It isn’t like the current one returned now with the JSA in Doomsday Clock. He’s been around for a couple years.
    Carter was lost in the Dark Multiverse, he had been turned into the new Dragon of Barbatos. Yes, it's insane.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I thought Johns did a brilliant job cleaning up the headf*** that was Hawkman continuity.
    But DC just couldn't leave things alone and had to screw the pooch again.
    I don't understand the company's fascination in tinkering with the character constantly.
    The Hawks are almost as screwed up as Donna Troy - and THAT'S saying something!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.