Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not arguing that she's not on DC's radar, or saying that she's likely to get something anytime soon. I'm just saying that while the direct market is going to shrink down to "Batman and his Justice League Friends" the other formats are going to see a big spike in product, likely across a wide range of IP's, and Karen *could* find a place there. Like in JSA.

The situation is still bleak, I'm just saying it's not hopeless.
    Hope you're right.

We'll see, right?

Like I said before, the person who wrote that Cass Cain OGN literally had a giant list with tons of characters on them. Odds are Karen is on that list too, so a writer just has to come along who decides to pick Karen's name off that list and write a story about her.

Maybe that doesn't happen and nobody wants to tell a story with Karen. It's not like she's a big well known character. But it only takes one writer who wants to do it. Maybe we won't see Karen in anything for years, maybe next month they announce a new OGN. I wouldn't bet money on that happening but if reading science journals has taught me anything, it's that "impossible" is a lot harder to accomplish than it seems.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    We'll see, right?

Like I said before, the person who wrote that Cass Cain OGN literally had a giant list with tons of characters on them. Odds are Karen is on that list too, so a writer just has to come along who decides to pick Karen's name off that list and write a story about her.

Maybe that doesn't happen and nobody wants to tell a story with Karen. It's not like she's a big well known character. But it only takes one writer who wants to do it. Maybe we won't see Karen in anything for years, maybe next month they announce a new OGN. I wouldn't bet money on that happening but if reading science journals has taught me anything, it's that "impossible" is a lot harder to accomplish than it seems.
    To be honest, they have such little reverence for Karen, I think they'll just ask it to be retooled into a Supergirl story or edit absolutely nothing and we'll be lucky if she comes across like PG.

As of now, Johns or Palmiotti & Conner seem to be the only ones who care with Priest being an honorable mention since he wants to do something.

Also, shouldn't we move back to her thread? This one has run it's course.

There was a time, back before Supergirl really took off with her TV show and everything - that I thought of Power Girl as "Supergirl but more likable," or "Supergirl but with a personality."

This was back when Supergirl was more likely to be written as just kind of angsty and not very fun. Starting with the Supergirl TV Show, I think the general trend with Kara started leaning a little more into that classic "sweetheart" portrayal, though I've been less tapped into Kara since then, so I don't know if that kept up. Either way though, I think Supergirl's increase in popularity made Power Girl less influential and popular.

I've often had the impression, and I don't really know about the accuracy of this idea, that Power Girl often got stuck competing against "herself" for attention.
    If nothing else, the Atlantian origin story - or some variant on it - might potentially allow for Karen and Kara to co-exist without the need to say "But first, we need to talk about Parallel Universes." And that's something which didn't really happen during that post-Crisis era, since Supergirl was Matrix and Kara was non-existent.

I mean I'm sure in 10 pages of thread someone else has made that same observation, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

It galls me a bit to post in this eww thread title again but oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    There was a time, back before Supergirl really took off with her TV show and everything - that I thought of Power Girl as "Supergirl but more likable," or "Supergirl but with a personality."

This was back when Supergirl was more likely to be written as just kind of angsty and not very fun. Starting with the Supergirl TV Show, I think the general trend with Kara started leaning a little more into that classic "sweetheart" portrayal, though I've been less tapped into Kara since then, so I don't know if that kept up. Either way though, I think Supergirl's increase in popularity made Power Girl less influential and popular.

I've often had the impression, and I don't really know about the accuracy of this idea, that Power Girl often got stuck competing against "herself" for attention.
    If nothing else, the Atlantian origin story - or some variant on it - might potentially allow for Karen and Kara to co-exist without the need to say "But first, we need to talk about Parallel Universes." And that's something which didn't really happen during that post-Crisis era, since Supergirl was Matrix and Kara was non-existent.

I mean I'm sure in 10 pages of thread someone else has made that same observation, haha!
    Considering that she has still ongoing fandom, multiple threads and being mentioned more often than not is a testimony to Power Girls power; she does what shes best at: being defiant against getting buried and forgotten against every logic and reasoning even if entire multiverses collapse. Regardless of the inability by DCs powers to be to understand her. Maybe its them merely preemptively terrified about some outrage culture twitter mobs when they all of the sudden start pushing a independent voluptuous white blonde who is strong enough to be still a fun character besides all the misery in her life when the current trend is to make those miserable and hide any features that might be considered too showing/attractive (which is EXACTLY PGs reasoning of being a showoff)?

Don't know. But SGs rise in popularity is clear: Has (or at least had until very recently) a going comic series, has a freaking TV show inside a shared universe of TV shows, had a big screen movie thats still in some ppls heads, is in various cartoons (I think... not that savvy in that department). And yet those miserably, stubborn people (us, in here) refuse to forget PGs existence; and why even, aren't SG and PG not just the same character!**

**of course I know they are not; but there are still enough ppl in all the wrong places believing that.