Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ha! I'll send DC my resume and see what I can do!

....you know, I'd love to see the panic on these forums if I *actually* started working there.....
    Hey even if you didn't write "my" Superman, you'd still be better than 99% of the writers in the last decade. Any writer at this point would have to be an improvement for PG over her post-JSA decade.

I'll take that as a compliment, but it feels like faint praise.

Still not bad for a guy who isn't a professional writer though. Or even a unprofessional writer.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-12-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Me to, it changed so much over the years I get confused, reverting to the original origin is best.
    True. That bizarre Post-Crisis origin just never worked though some of that was because it was just part of the confusion of keeping some things and dumping others.
    Power with Girl is better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, PG is unlikely to see new solo adventures in print any time soon. The JSA is where we'll find her and even that's a hard maybe going forward. Sad to say, but that's what it's come to.

At the very least, it's good to have a few fans of Karen on these boards to talk to. It's unbelievably hard to find anyone who wants to discuss the character as more than a costume or her figure.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    In retrospect she has less of a footprint now then post Crisis. Now she pretty much amounts to discount, “more cheesecakey,” Supergirl.
    Conclusion: No lies detected.

While there were certainly some missteps Post Crisis--i.e., Gerard Jones whole Scarabus/Peege's Baby storyline--I found the character more interesting, more distinct, and more important to the DCU during that time. At first when Johns started using her in the JSA I was thrilled. Then they made her whole story around wanting to be Superman relative. She has gone nowhere but down since.

Meanwhile Supergirl hasn't even approached the status/importance of Post Crisis Peege. It is what it is, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Conclusion: No lies detected.

While there were certainly some missteps Post Crisis--i.e., Gerard Jones whole Scarabus/Peege's Baby storyline--I found the character more interesting, more distinct, and more important to the DCU during that time. At first when Johns started using her in the JSA I was thrilled. Then they made her whole story around wanting to be Superman relative. She has gone nowhere but down since.

Meanwhile Supergirl hasn't even approached the status/importance of Post Crisis Peege. It is what it is, as they say.
    How was she important to the DCU during post crisis before her origin was restored? Her most notable contribution before that was getting knocked up by a guy she thought was her grandfather. After her origin was restored, she was a member of the JSA and played a role in Infinite Crisis.

Well technically everything from 2006 to 2011 is still "post-Crisis."

But yeah, Karen was clearly, objectively at her height during and after Infinite Crisis and the restoration of her Kryptonian origin; leading role in All-Stars, solid role in JSA, her own solo, as well as being part of the....what was the JLA/JSA crossover....Lightning Saga?

Far better treatment than she's had before or after.

I still think she'd be great in a YA OGN, something that explores the themes of feeling alienated and being an outsider while also being compared to someone else (and rising above it all and finding strength in being yourself, obvs). That could be an easy win; "This isn't my land or my people, but everyone always thinks I'm just going to act like this other person who's me but not me." I feel like that would hit the right chords for a lot of young teens, especially those who are always compared to siblings.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Well technically everything from 2006 to 2011 is still "post-Crisis."

But yeah, Karen was clearly, objectively at her height during and after Infinite Crisis and the restoration of her Kryptonian origin; leading role in All-Stars, solid role in JSA, her own solo, as well as being part of the....what was the JLA/JSA crossover....Lightning Saga?

Far better treatment than she's had before or after.

I still think she'd be great in a YA OGN, something that explores the themes of feeling alienated and being an outsider while also being compared to someone else (and rising above it all and finding strength in being yourself, obvs). That could be an easy win; "This isn't my land or my people, but everyone always thinks I'm just going to act like this other person who's me but not me." I feel like that would hit the right chords for a lot of young teens, especially those who are always compared to siblings.
    From today's events, we know that Jim Lee is a spokesman for ATT and nothing more, with no real power; and also that any property that doesn't literally have the words Super, Wonder, or Bat in the title will never be published. So...Supergirl...good, Power Girl....not good. So it doesn't look good for PG on the OGN or any other front.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    From today's events, we know that Jim Lee is a spokesman for ATT and nothing more, with no real power; and also that any property that doesn't literally have the words Super, Wonder, or Bat in the title will never be published. So...Supergirl...good, Power Girl....not good. So it doesn't look good for PG on the OGN or any other front.
    I think we took very different things away from that interview.

As far as the direct market goes, yeah it's gonna be all Trinity and League stuff but I didn't see Lee say anything along those lines for other formats. It looks like they're going to try to replicate the success of the Injustice comics, so they'll be taking larger media products and trying to bring fans into the comics from there. So for Karen right now, yeah there's nothing much to work with, but that's still a much wider expanse of characters than just the Trinity (Injustice alone features a ton of characters).

And I doubt that's the entire game plan either. Not when stuff like DCeased is doing so well, or some of those non-Trinity OGN's are selling solid. Again, that doesn't really help Karen at the moment, but outside of the direct market I'm not seeing anything that says "the entire DC library is now the League-related characters."

But just because there's potential for Karen to get a project doesn't mean it'll happen or that the odds are good. But look at that Cass Cain story; the author was told "here's a giant list of characters, grab one and do something." All it'll take is someone picking Karen's name off a list, and we're off to the races.

~ Black Panther.

What I got from it is we may see a digital JSA series that gets reprinted if it's successful which is where she may crop up.

It's a sorry situation, but she's not exactly dead. I'll be more generous in her prominent period and say it began with her taking Dinah's spot in JSA a few years before Infinite Crisis. That's where the ball started rolling for Karen.

Extraordinary Member

I think we took very different things away from that interview.

As far as the direct market goes, yeah it's gonna be all Trinity and League stuff but I didn't see Lee say anything along those lines for other formats. It looks like they're going to try to replicate the success of the Injustice comics, so they'll be taking larger media products and trying to bring fans into the comics from there. So for Karen right now, yeah there's nothing much to work with, but that's still a much wider expanse of characters than just the Trinity (Injustice alone features a ton of characters).

And I doubt that's the entire game plan either. Not when stuff like DCeased is doing so well, or some of those non-Trinity OGN's are selling solid. Again, that doesn't really help Karen at the moment, but outside of the direct market I'm not seeing anything that says "the entire DC library is now the League-related characters."

But just because there's potential for Karen to get a project doesn't mean it'll happen or that the odds are good. But look at that Cass Cain story; the author was told "here's a giant list of characters, grab one and do something." All it'll take is someone picking Karen's name off a list, and we're off to the races.
    Injustice. Power Girl wasn't actually a huge part of that comic...or it's successor, was she? In fact, there's been over a decade filled with a lot of huge stories like those...without her. Seems to me PG's not really on DC's radar, much less ATT's, which probably has no clue she exists. It's a shame, and I really hope I'm wrong...but I haven't been so far.

Injustice. Power Girl wasn't actually a huge part of that comic...or it's successor, was she? In fact, there's been over a decade filled with a lot of huge stories like those...without her. Seems to me PG's not really on DC's radar, much less ATT's, which probably has no clue she exists. It's a shame, and I really hope I'm wrong...but I haven't been so far.
    Dude. I'm glad she's off the corporate radar. The less likely she is too get adapted, the better. I don't really trust AT&T to get her as much as DC and they don't to begin with. They would just use her as a joke or to prop someone else up, most likely Supergirl or Harley. It kind of already is happening. Stargirl is perhaps the one place I wanted to see her show up, but now that it's gone CW that's a hard pass from me.

I'll be happy for her to just be in JSA comics for a while.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-14-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Dude. I'm glad she's off the corporate radar. The less likely she is too get adapted, the better. I don't really trust AT&T to get her as much as DC and they don't to begin with. They would just use her as a joke or to prop someone else up, most likely Supergirl or Harley. It kind of already is happening. Stargirl is perhaps the one place I wanted to see her show up, but now that it's gone CW that's a hard pass from me.

I'll be happy for her to just be in JSA comics for a while.
    Well, itd be a miracle if even a JSA title happens now. Especially since it didn't seem like they were in any hurry to bring them back before. As for Stargirl; it wouldn't have worked to include PG in season one; she would have rendered the storyline moot. And would have overshadowed the characters who needed to be front and center. Maybe in seasons after this, but still, you can't really use her for more than reference fodder or perhaps a very occasional deus ex machina appearance. Not with that group. She'd be the leader with no need of troops.

Well, itd be a miracle if even a JSA title happens now. Especially since it didn't seem like they were in any hurry to bring them back before. As for Stargirl; it wouldn't have worked to include PG in season one; she would have rendered the storyline moot. And would have overshadowed the characters who needed to be front and center. Maybe in seasons after this, but still, you can't really use her for more than reference fodder or perhaps a very occasional deus ex machina appearance. Not with that group. She'd be the leader with no need of troops.
    It'd be digital, I wager, but it might already be in motion post-DM? I can dream. It's unlikely, though.

Oh, I'm not saying she should have been in the first season, but now that the CW owns it I don't trust her to show up in it just about ever. I'm sure they'll turn her into PG in name only. Shame, I liked season one a lot.

I'm not arguing that she's not on DC's radar, or saying that she's likely to get something anytime soon. I'm just saying that while the direct market is going to shrink down to "Batman and his Justice League Friends" the other formats are going to see a big spike in product, likely across a wide range of IP's, and Karen *could* find a place there. Like in JSA.

The situation is still bleak, I'm just saying it's not hopeless.

~ Black Panther.