Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Powergirl shouldn’t have been made a kryptonian again.

In retrospect she has less of a footprint now then post Crisis. Now she pretty much amounts to discount, “more cheesecakey,” Supergirl.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-28-2020 at 01:42 PM.

There's room for two Kryptonian females in the DCU. The problem is whether or not writers will want to use her or has all the retconning (and current gender politics) made her a problematic character in their minds?

Extraordinary Member

I love the character, but at this point I really don't know what her origin should be.

I don't mind her being Kryptonian and I didn't mind her being a descendent of Arion. I just never liked the way they wrote her background since COIE.

Mighty Member

Me to, it changed so much over the years I get confused, reverting to the original origin is best.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Me to, it changed so much over the years I get confused, reverting to the original origin is best.
    I think the original worked a lot better when she was on Earth Two. Two versions of the same person running around the same earth just doesn't work or me. But I'll admit to not having ever followed the character, either way. Just speaking of my opinion on the concept of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    In retrospect she has less of a footprint now then post Crisis. Now she pretty much amounts to discount, “more cheesecakey,” Supergirl.
    Never, ever knock “more cheesecakey”! More cheesecakey is a glorious thing.

Extraordinary Member

No. I think she was fine post infinite crisis.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

I disagree. Supergirl has had her share of cheesecake depictions such as the bare midriff costume created by Michael Turner(RIP). I really like Karen as the Earth 2 cousin of Superman. The Atlantean and Daxamite(short-lived) origins did nothing but muddy up Power Girl's character.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I loved her 2009(?) series.

I feel like she only really works well as a Kryptonian. She looks different enough from Supergirl that there's no confusion over who is who.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I loved her 2009(?) series.
    I concur. Also, the Atlantean origin never made any sense to me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think the issue is less with her being a Kryptonian and more with the fact that she's a duplicate Kara Zor-(E)L, especially when the other option is the second most popular character of a massively popular comic book franchise. There's no room for Power Girl when Supergirl exists.

Now, if they infused some of Power Girl's energy into Supergirl and allowed there to be a new Power Girl or vice versa (tho with the show it seems unlikely to happen vice versa) it would probably be fine.

Kara hasn't been a part of Dick Grayson's generation since she died in the original Crisis. That needs to be fixed.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

She's excellent as a Kryptonian. Though for all the writers reference this as opposed to actually using it as a story point, they might as well not have bothered, aside from a power level point of view.

Honestly, just leave her a Kryptonian, related to Superman in some close way, and give her an actual background on Krypton, whichever version you use, and give her an actual niche....her problem is that right now she doesn't do anything different than Superman and Supergirl. She just does it at a remove from the Superman Family, which she sometimes if part of, but more often is simply ignored.

A defined niche within the DCU that no one else has, and can capture interest among fans, a backstory that makes her different, and some good solo stories are all she needs.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I think the issue is less with her being a Kryptonian and more with the fact that she's a duplicate Kara Zor-(E)L, especially when the other option is the second most popular character of a massively popular comic book franchise. There's no room for Power Girl when Supergirl exists.

Now, if they infused some of Power Girl's energy into Supergirl and allowed there to be a new Power Girl or vice versa (tho with the show it seems unlikely to happen vice versa) it would probably be fine.

Kara hasn't been a part of Dick Grayson's generation since she died in the original Crisis. That needs to be fixed.
    Like I said, it's easy enough to give her some daylight from Supergirl. Actually, of the two, PG has been the consistent hero, while SG has veered from bland, to okay, to very unlikable and borderline psychopath and supervillain. So on the scale of things, PG's problems are minor and more easily fixable if DC just buys in and puts someone with a plan for the character to work on writing her.

I could consider a different origin if it was good. But thus far, no one's come up with anything superior than simply Kryptonian on another Earth.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El