Default Death Metal;A Good Example....

So over the last 15-20 years, i have been profoundly dissapointed in the industry. The charecters i once knew no longer exsist. They fundamentaly have been altered, or presented in manners that are odd. One of the worst over the yeats has been Batman. He is no longer the man driven to stomp out crime on the street level, he is now the amazing do anything/beat anyone man. Dark Knights Metal/Death Metal is a perfect example of a problem that has plagued comics for years and years and years. Instead of coming up with fresh charecters or ideas, they just give us some lame **** and call it cool. A DoomsdayBatman for example. Who cares, and while i understand that such depictions as the Batman brain loaded into the batmobile is purely just for fun, that is not a concern. Once again DC is on the verge of rewriting/"Correcting " the timeline. Why? Why continue to **** with it. Why is nearly every event revolving around this one concept. Why resurect dead heroes, who were still imortant to there legacy charecters dead. It deminishes the story of sacrifice. In the 90's DC had a great opertuity to move on the legacy charecter front, and failed. They had a great concept in a retired Bruce Wayne, a dead Superman, who was replaced by four fun charecters. Supergirl,Superboy, the Eradicator, and Steel. Each could have supported there own monthly. Two actually did. Kyle was the new G.L., Wally already cemented his legacy as the Flash. ect,ect,ect....But no. No, they opted to do the most unoriginal thing ever. Bring these dead back. Why? Why do we settle for this crap. It flows so much better in the manner of torch passing, than change for the sake of change(Alan Scott). Death Metal, will probably be somewhat entertaining, but in the end who cares. There are no real consiquence for these charecters now. Havent been for awhile. Used to be, a reader could relate to theses charecters, now they are all immortal super genius, who never truly lose. Once upon a time i had loved to read of the struggle of a Hero who was juggling problems at work, with problems in there relationship, all while continuing to be a hero. Now its all just the biggest bang for a buck, nearly no real pesonal life. Even superman ahs been stripped of some of this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    So over the last 15-20 years, i have been profoundly dissapointed in the industry. The charecters i once knew no longer exsist. They fundamentaly have been altered, or presented in manners that are odd. One of the worst over the yeats has been Batman. He is no longer the man driven to stomp out crime on the street level, he is now the amazing do anything/beat anyone man. Dark Knights Metal/Death Metal is a perfect example of a problem that has plagued comics for years and years and years. Instead of coming up with fresh charecters or ideas, they just give us some lame **** and call it cool. A DoomsdayBatman for example. Who cares, and while i understand that such depictions as the Batman brain loaded into the batmobile is purely just for fun, that is not a concern. Once again DC is on the verge of rewriting/"Correcting " the timeline. Why? Why continue to **** with it. Why is nearly every event revolving around this one concept. Why resurect dead heroes, who were still imortant to there legacy charecters dead. It deminishes the story of sacrifice. In the 90's DC had a great opertuity to move on the legacy charecter front, and failed. They had a great concept in a retired Bruce Wayne, a dead Superman, who was replaced by four fun charecters. Supergirl,Superboy, the Eradicator, and Steel. Each could have supported there own monthly. Two actually did. Kyle was the new G.L., Wally already cemented his legacy as the Flash. ect,ect,ect....But no. No, they opted to do the most unoriginal thing ever. Bring these dead back. Why? Why do we settle for this crap. It flows so much better in the manner of torch passing, than change for the sake of change(Alan Scott). Death Metal, will probably be somewhat entertaining, but in the end who cares. There are no real consiquence for these charecters now. Havent been for awhile. Used to be, a reader could relate to theses charecters, now they are all immortal super genius, who never truly lose. Once upon a time i had loved to read of the struggle of a Hero who was juggling problems at work, with problems in there relationship, all while continuing to be a hero. Now its all just the biggest bang for a buck, nearly no real pesonal life. Even superman ahs been stripped of some of this.
    Says a man with a crappy modern version of the Joker as his avatar !

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Says a man with a crappy modern version of the Joker as his avatar !
    I was going to write something but....

HAHAHAHAHA... x Dead x
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Ya I know, how dare I enjoy a more closely modeled comic charecter. The other two who recently portrayed the charecter were pretty far off. The lord of chaos from the dark knight, had the most intricate plan, so much so that he was indeed a lord of order. Then there was that other crap film. But heaven forbid we should stick to the topic at hand. **** you.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    Ya I know, how dare I enjoy a more closely modeled comic charecter. The other two who recently portrayed the charecter were pretty far off. The lord of chaos from the dark knight, had the most intricate plan, so much so that he was indeed a lord of order. Then there was that other crap film. But heaven forbid we should stick to the topic at hand. **** you.
    That other "crap film" as you say is far better than that crappy Suicide Squad I don't know what.
    And if you'd read few comics, you'd know that Nolan's Joker or Phillips' Joker are much closer to the Joker found in the comics than Leto's.
    But performance wise, it's hard to say who played a better Joker.

Before going on topic. You should learn to structure you text. One big block like that is not easy to read. And don't make you want to read its content. But I did !

Then to go on topic if you'd like.

So over the last 15-20 years, i have been profoundly dissapointed in the industry.
    - In which industry exactly ?

The charecters i once knew no longer exsist.
    - Which ones exactly ? Lots are still here ! And remember, the ones you know where the ones from the 90's. If you've read the ones form the 60's or event 40's you'd see that they are pretty different too. Characteres evolve. And that's a good thing, or it would be tiring.

They fundamentaly have been altered, or presented in manners that are odd.
    - Yes some writters have done some awfull things. But bare in mind that there are lots of characters and writters and not all have done a **** job. Or maybe you're saying stuff without having read all.

One of the worst over the yeats has been Batman.
    - Yes and no. Only King and Snyder did awfull with him. There are some incredibly good stories.

Instead of coming up with fresh charecters or ideas, they just give us some lame **** and call it cool.
    - The goal is not to come up with a new character in every stories. That would be a big mess. And you're a bit wrong because in Metal Snyder has come up a brand new character: The Batman Who Laughts !

Once again DC is on the verge of rewriting/"Correcting " the timeline. Why?
    - If you ask why, you haven't really read DC's events.

Why continue to **** with it.
    - Who care if the stories are fun to read.

Why is nearly every event revolving around this one concept.
    - Every event ??? No - Trinity War, Forever Evil, Darkseid War, Night of the Monster Men, DCeased, Leviathan, Heroes in Crisis, The Witching Hour, ... didn't revolve around time !

Why resurect dead heroes, who were still imortant to there legacy charecters dead.
    - ok and why not ?

In the 90's DC had a great opertuity to move on the legacy charecter front, and failed. They had a great concept in a retired Bruce Wayne, a dead Superman, who was replaced by four fun charecters. Supergirl,Superboy, the Eradicator, and Steel. Each could have supported there own monthly.
    - Yes but guess what, some of the best stories ever have been written about Batman and Superman in the 00's - But maybe you'd like me to give you some titles !

Death Metal, will probably be somewhat entertaining, but in the end who cares.
    - Nobody sayd Metal was any good. I've always ended hating what Scott Snyder does !

Used to be, a reader could relate to theses charecters, now they are all immortal super genius, who never truly lose.
    - You might need to do some more reading !

Now its all just the biggest bang for a buck, nearly no real pesonal life.
    - What about Batman/Catwoman, what about Venditti's Aquaman, what about The Teen Titans, what about Super Sons, what about Justice League Dark, what about ... They all talk about personal matters !

Even superman ahs been stripped of some of this.
    - I will agree Superman hasn't been great for a long long time. I haven't read Bendis' current run, but I heard it's not bad.

Astonishing Member

Death Metal is what happens when fans and writers mistake dark, edgy, deconstructionist, nihilism and stupidity as 'mature and good' or 'fun'.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Death Metal is what happens when fans and writers mistake dark, edgy, deconstructionist, nihilism and stupidity as 'mature and good' or 'fun'.
    No exactly, because all you listed can be "fun" to read, as well as "mature and good".
    Sadly, this kind of writting/storytelling is what young crave now-a-days. It's got to be somewhat dark, simple to understand, somewhat gore, somewhat strange, have so big fights and monsters. They don't even car about being canon or having a well constructed plot.
    If you go to forums you'll see that all the new generation cares about is how strong is such and such, can such beat such, who is the darkest, who's got the best vilains, ... very empty concerns.
    Scott Snyder didn't get popular with his writting talents.

Extraordinary Member

Okay, so I can understand the OP's frustration to an extent. The issue of Batman being "unbeatable" is, well, a legitimate issue that I think deserves discussion. I mean, it is straining credulity when Bruce constantly shows up people who are irrefutably smarter, stronger, and faster than he is. In fact, that's partly why it's all the more "special" when Batman is beaten by another character, like when he's sucker-punched by Hal Jordan or when Wonder Woman beat the crap out of him in Hiketeia. But that's the thing: it shouldn't be a big deal when stuff like that happens because, even if he's Batman, he is still just a man. It shouldn't really matter that Deathstroke has beaten up Bruce before. Bruce is a master martial artist. Slade is a master martial artist. Even if its a sign that Slade is a better hand-to-hand combatant, they are both excellent hand-to-hand combatants. So, that's one issue...

The other one? Eh, that's where you lose me. I mean, lolz, did you really think Bruce was going to stay paralyzed and retired from being Batman? Or that Clark was going to stay dead? Dude. No. Just no. Clark Kent is Superman. Bruce Wayne is Batman. End of story.

And as for Hal? There was an entire movement of people who wanted Hal back and Emerald Twilight was a character assassination if I ever saw one. I mean, don't get me wrong, Hal as Parallax ended up becoming a compelling part of Green Lantern and DC lore, but thank god they retconned it. It was also NOT a good idea to try and do away with the ENTIRE Corps, which was essentially DC's main source of cosmic story concepts. Like, sorry but no. I mean, at least we got Kyle out of it but Kyle as part of a larger Corps including Hal, John, and Guy is INFINITELY better than just Kyle.

Barry's a little different because Wally was actually successful and compelling in the role of the main Flash and because Barry's sacrifice in Crisis was so well-done and iconic, but even there, I can support Barry being alive and active. There's room for both Barry and Wally Flashes, just like there was room for Jay and Wally and there was room for all the human Lanterns.

I share the OP’s frustration. In particular, when they state “there are no real consequences for these characters” and “nearly no personal life.” But that’s just how I feel. Others will feel differently. I was actually interested in 5G but it looks like that’s not going to happen. Once Far Sector ends, I’ll no longer be buying any DC titles. Instead, I’ll just be buying indie stuff which I enjoy far more.
    Last edited by Twice-named; 07-29-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I share the OP’s frustration. In particular, when they state “there are no real consequences for these characters” and “nearly no personal life.” But that’s just how I feel. Others will feel differently. I was actually interested in 5G but it looks like that’s not going to happen. Once Far Sector ends, I’ll no longer be buying any DC titles. Instead, I’ll just be buying indie stuff which I enjoy far more.
    There are like 30 DC titles/series/mini/events going on right now or that just ended. All is far from awfull, you just didn't pick up the right ones !

BANNED

Head canon the thread.