View Poll Results: How many years before Marvel quits publishing paper comics?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • by 2022

7 21.21%
  • by 2025

6 18.18%
  • by 2030

10 30.30%
  • 2031 or beyond

10 30.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    They won’t outlive this decade. That’s for sure.
    I agree. I think this will be the last decade.

Astonishing Member

I'm ok with singles being digital only, but if they do TPBs too, it's a sign of the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    I agree. I think this will be the last decade.
    I am confident if this exact same poll were in 2010, we would see the same results.

Digital is still a small fraction of comic sales(just as it is a small fraction of book sales).

There is a market for physical copies. Very different experience holding the physical copy than reading on a device. In complete distinction from movies/music, which are identical if watched/listened with streaming or on CD/DVD.

The results of this poll are very interesting to me but I think says more about those answering the poll than the actual marketplace.

BANNED

I've long since gone Digital -- in fact I converted my entire collection to digital and ditched the paper ones years ago

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I've gone maybe half and half. I do like to buy variant covers every once in a while and if it's a series I really like I have a physical copy of it. Heck, if things get any worse in this world it would be good to have something you can still read by candlelight !

give it 10 or 20 years. It's the smart play, but not everyone is as forward thinking or bold to make this movie. It'd also be harder to monotize without being creative. Outside of the environmental benifit it's just the better play as a company you make the forward thinking mov eor you get left behind.

Kodak engineer Steve Sasson actually invented the digital camera in the company's R&D labs in the 1970s, but they sat on it for fear it would destroy their industry. No look at Kodak.
    The J-man

I give it 10 years
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I have a lot of worry about comic book stores surviving this pandemic. My local one not only dealt with this but storm damage. It's really rough.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And what % is trades? The problem that often happens is publishers not waiting to see how trades do before cancelling a book. The sales figures we see on Comichron only cover comics shops and not bookstores and mail order, so the figures there look much, much lower than the truth. Do trades actually outsell floppies?
    Depends on the series in question.

Remember not every store sells that floppy.

Remember Image's Motor Crush-a book some store refused to sell over the lead being a black Lesbian?
    Then when Motor Crush's trade came out-it was the most ordered/selling trade that month beating EVERYBODY including Flash and Teen Titans.

I mean, I'd be surprised if any comic stores succeeded on the strength of monthly issues alone.
    Some do because they only order what they can sell.

The issue with Marvel and DC is stores order certain books beyond the number that they sell. So they can have some back issue to jack up the price in back issues.
    Of course some end up packing bins in larger numbers than others.

Savage Dragon-If you don't FOC that book where I live, you won't get a copy. Because so few are ordered that book sells out every month.
    Batman or X-Men-I can show you stores where unsold copies have shelves and tables ready to BREAK because there are so many copies.

Also all those 2nd and up printings-that is due to orders to stores not books actually bought.

Star Wars gets 2nd and up printing-I can still go to stores and get the first printings. In BULK.
    Miles Morales or Wynd (Boom Studios)-GOOD LUCK in finding first printings.

Final Order Cutoff helps a store.

It helped my store. Especially with variants. Folks order what they want and pay for it ahead of time and the shelves are not filled with variants no one wants just regular covers.

Yeah, I do feel bad for comic book stores. Granted, I haven't been to one since last year, and I've gotten the majority of my comics digitally for quite a few years now because it just so convenient. But I do enjoy sitting in the stores for long periods of time and browsing different selections, and some things I like to have physical copies of.

I agree with the consensus of by next decade.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    I am confident if this exact same poll were in 2010, we would see the same results.

Digital is still a small fraction of comic sales(just as it is a small fraction of book sales).

There is a market for physical copies. Very different experience holding the physical copy than reading on a device. In complete distinction from movies/music, which are identical if watched/listened with streaming or on CD/DVD.

The results of this poll are very interesting to me but I think says more about those answering the poll than the actual marketplace.
    Also remember not everything is in digital yet.

A certain kid who flies on a trash can and calls himself Static-is not in digital form. I am sure there are others out there that haven't sniff it yet either.

And yes there is a market for physical copies. I don't need the WIFI to stream Stranger Things Season 1-2 when I own the dvd/blue rays.

And not everything goes to stream-especially short lived tv shows. I don't see The Famous Jett Jackson or old TNBC shows on streams.

Next 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And not everything goes to stream-especially short lived tv shows. I don't see The Famous Jett Jackson or old TNBC shows on streams.
    The reason Jett Jackson isn't on Disney+ is because despite being a Disney Channel show, they don't own it. It was made by Alliance Atlantis, whose kids shows now belong to WildBrain (formerly DHX, and the owner of most of the old DiC cartoons).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WildBrain

I wouldn't consider three seasons and a movie shortlived. 65 episodes is standard.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famous_Jett_Jackson
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Kodak engineer Steve Sasson actually invented the digital camera in the company's R&D labs in the 1970s, but they sat on it for fear it would destroy their industry. No look at Kodak.
    They're doing great.

It helps to have corrupt friends in high places.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I like the fact that they don't take up space, the zoom feature, and that you can read them on a plane and take them with you everywhere. I still have comics from the 90's and they're in a closet. It was different collecting back then. It was like collecting video cassettes and CD's.