Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Now that i think about it, what if George Stacy is Kindred? I get the whole "he" thing could be a red herring, but at this point it makes more sense than Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Now that i think about it, what if George Stacy is Kindred? I get the whole "he" thing could be a red herring, but at this point it makes more sense than Gwen.
    There're a few things against Capt. Stacy as Kindred. I don't think he works well in the dialogue Kindred had with Osborn. George and Norman shared a few moments in the old ASM stories if memory serves me well, but there's not enough material to assume they dedicated each other so much thought to justify the dynamic in the tie-ins to Absolute Carnage, plus George never shared a story with the Green Goblin. Stacy's hate would begin after Gwen's death. I also don't know why George would've went to hell, but Nick Spencer could make it work through retcons. Finally, if Spencer made a case for Billy Connors' clone to have the same soul than the deceased Billy, I think the same can be said about Gwen and George's clone back in Clone Conspiracy. I don't know how this logic works in the case of the Prowler, who was alive at the same time than his clone, maybe I'm a strong candidate for the next No Prize Awards.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 07-29-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Which is why Spencer won't do it just yet. It would be gratuitous and pointless as well as mean spirited.

You are right. He did come of as looking far older here than in Superior Foes of Spider-Man (his best showing as a character).
    I do not know why knocking off Carlie now as opposed to later is “Mean Spirited.” I admit she is on the bottom of the Parker Women list ( only above Cindy Moon). That said, I wonder if Spencer’s plan is to eliminate the MJ competition? How? Gwen with Miles, Cindy being part of Miles group, Felicia crying when she found out Peter was married? Sending Cindy on a one way trip to the bottom of the East River would certainly be a step in that direction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I do not know why knocking off Carlie now as opposed to later is “Mean Spirited.”
    It's mean spirited to bump off a character who was written out of the books years ago (way back in the final issue of Slott's Superior, back in 2014) and then bring her back after appearing in three issues of your entire run just to kill her to fulfill longterm grudges.

Spencer has a sense of humor yes but he's never given a sense of being that mean spirited and lowdown.

Killing Carlie would be a clumsy and unnecessary way of trying to win the fan's sympathy. There is no need for it.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Revolutionary_Jack;5072734]It's mean spirited to bump off a character who was written out of the books years ago (way back in the final issue of Slott's Superior, back in 2014) and then bring her back after appearing in three issues of your entire run just to kill her to fulfill longterm grudges.

Spencer has a sense of humor yes but he's never given a sense of being that mean spirited and lowdown.[/QUOTE
    Isn’t that what happened to Ned Leeds brought back then knocked off? I do not think it is coincidence that she is brought back now. Maybe she will be Sin Eaters innocent victim)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Killing Carlie would be a clumsy and unnecessary way of trying to win the fan's sympathy. There is no need for it.
    As someone who was never a fan of her and how she was introduced into the titles, this is very much a "if they go low, you go high" moment.

Just because Carlie wasn't used well when first introduced doesn't mean she should be killed for pointless cheap points.

And I don't think Spencer would do that.

Incredible Member

What exactly do the fans have against Carlie Cooper? Yes I get the whole forced OMD thing and yes I was furious at that too but the relationship between Carlie and Peter didn't even happen for like 100 issues between OMD and Big Time. And then the relationship didn't even last that long to begin with. So what's the issue exactly?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    What exactly do the fans have against Carlie Cooper? Yes I get the whole forced OMD thing and yes I was furious at that too but the relationship between Carlie and Peter didn't even happen for like 100 issues between OMD and Big Time. And then the relationship didn't even last that long to begin with. So what's the issue exactly?
    To use a food analogy: Mary Jane is Prime Rib, Felicia is Lasagna, Cindy is cabbage ( I hate cabbage) and Carlie is jello. Limited taste and no substance. Basically meh. Almost no one will miss her if she becomes a victim of Sin Eater ( unlike Jean De Wolfe).
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 07-29-2020 at 01:03 PM.

BANNED

People aren't food. And you should stop writing about women, even fictional women, like that.

If they kill Carlie, who will be MJ's comedic gal pal ?

Spencer got my feelings by killing Overdrive, got me hype when he unkilled Overdrive, then got my feelings by killing Overdrive, then got me hype when he unkilled Overdrive.

My master has returned.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    People aren't food. And you should stop writing about women, even fictional women, like that.
    This is an analogy about fictional characters. But if it makes you feel better. Carlie is a boring character with no substance. Unlike MJ, Felicia and even original Gwen ( not Saint Gwen of the 21st Century).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post

This is an analogy about fictional characters. But if it makes you feel better. Carlie is a boring character with no substance. Unlike MJ, Felicia and even original Gwen ( not Saint Gwen of the 21st Century).
    Gwen Stacy before her death was a boring character. All she did was cry "boo hop Spider-Man is bad. Peter I am crying for no reason" and this is after she was a total B to Peter in her first appearances. I don't care if she was Peter's first true love, I don't feel like she added anything to Peter except for unnecessarily crying and damsel in distress nonsense. She offered nothing positive in death either except for the clone mess because some old man was obsessed with her and Then we find out the Sins Past garbage with yet another dirty ass old man having a thing for her because she "felt bad." I've always disliked her for being boring but in retrospect she is just straight up not worth even acknowledging.

Carlie may have been boring and I certainly don't remember much about her except that her and Peter has at least similar levels of scientific knowledge (meaning she want just another dumb woman for Peter) and she actually had a job and in fact, her job was at least somewhat on level where she could help Spider-Man. She was also into roller derby which is different. My point is that Carlie was not just another bimbo. Tell me; what exactly did Gwen do for a living besides being a college college who cried? I like MJ for various reasons but OMD happened and we all should have just moved on from that mess but at least she tried to have a job - she worked for Tony Stark and had her night club that was eventually destroyed by costumed nonsense.

I had the same feeling when reading those first pages narrated by Carlie in a Death of Jean Dewolff way, that she was aimed for death. I expect that isn't the route Nick Spencer is going to follow, I take him for the kind of writer that is aware of the connotations that killing a female character only to boost the motivations of the male superhero has in comicbooks. Carlie Cooper is a character I can live without, but it would be cheap to bring her back just to kill her. I enjoyed the dynamic she has with MJ, there's no need to kill ex-girlfriends of Peter Parker, there's clearly no romance between Peter and Carlie no more, and she can have a role besides being an old love interest, just like Betty Brant has had so many other roles in her publication history
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH