Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    People aren't food. And you should stop writing about women, even fictional women, like that.
    Get emmmmm!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I had the same feeling when reading those first pages narrated by Carlie in a Death of Jean Dewolff way, that she was aimed for death. I expect that isn't the route Nick Spencer is going to follow, I take him for the kind of writer that is aware of the connotations that killing a female character only to boost the motivations of the male superhero has in comicbooks. Carlie Cooper is a character I can live without, but it would be cheap to bring her back just to kill her. I enjoyed the dynamic she has with MJ, there's no need to kill ex-girlfriends of Peter Parker, there's clearly no romance between Peter and Carlie no more, and she can have a role besides being an old love interest, just like Betty Brant has had so many other roles in her publication history
    I guess I disagree. If you look at the history of Spider-Man, far more male characters died then female and I am not talking villains: Uncle Ben, George Stacy, kid who collected Spider-Man, Harry, Ned, Flash and Billy Connors. The females were obviously Jean and Gwen. I will argue that the Kid Who Collected Spider-Man was ( after the 9/11 issue) the most heartbreaking issue of all. If Spencer wants to use a non romantic woman in Peter’s life, there is always Theresa. There is a lot that can be explored with her. No need for an ex g/f of Peter’s. Theresa is also a more interesting character. I still think Carlie will be sleeping with the fish

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I had the same feeling when reading those first pages narrated by Carlie in a Death of Jean Dewolff way, that she was aimed for death. I expect that isn't the route Nick Spencer is going to follow, I take him for the kind of writer that is aware of the connotations that killing a female character only to boost the motivations of the male superhero has in comicbooks. Carlie Cooper is a character I can live without, but it would be cheap to bring her back just to kill her. I enjoyed the dynamic she has with MJ, there's no need to kill ex-girlfriends of Peter Parker, there's clearly no romance between Peter and Carlie no more, and she can have a role besides being an old love interest, just like Betty Brant has had so many other roles in her publication history
    Yeah, it was likely just there to build intensity toward the dramatic reveal that Overdrive is back from the dead. Love how immersed Spencer is in Spidey lore, and how he's able to incorporate things like that without breaking the fourth wall.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I guess I disagree. If you look at the history of Spider-Man, far more male characters died then female and I am not talking villains: Uncle Ben, George Stacy, kid who collected Spider-Man, Harry, Ned, Flash and Billy Connors. The females were obviously Jean and Gwen. I will argue that the Kid Who Collected Spider-Man was ( after the 9/11 issue) the most heartbreaking issue of all. If Spencer wants to use a non romantic woman in Peter’s life, there is always Theresa. There is a lot that can be explored with her. No need for an ex g/f of Peter’s. Theresa is also a more interesting character. I still think Carlie will be sleeping with the fish
    I think it has more to do about fiction and comicbooks than Spider-Man in specific, but I don't want to derail the thread. The last thing I will say about the subject is that the way the characters are killed matters too. Jean Dewolff and Gwen, two big secondary characters, had no importance in the respectives stories apart from dying. When Flash died, it was a heroic act, victory couldn't be achieved without him. Uncle Ben was a non-character in Spidey's debut, similar to Bruce Wayne's parents or Superman's. Ned Leeds is an example I see closer to those of Gwen and Jean, though his demises the second time, as a clone, seemed more like Spencer closing a plot than offing a character.

But, on topic, my biggest concern would be "why bring Carlie back just to kill her", I don't think it's a good idea. I have no interest in Theresa, which doesn't mean I would like to see her die just because. Same with Carlie. And Theresa and Carlie aren't interchangeable, Spencer can do stories with both characters, as he has so far. There's place for more than one woman who is not a romantic interest
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Good start though i wonder how Sin Eater factors into Kindreds plan for Peter.

Man my memory must be failing me but I thought sin eater was just a normal joe with no powers? Did kindred give him an upgrade?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelWarrior View Post
    Man my memory must be failing me but I thought sin eater was just a normal joe with no powers? Did kindred give him an upgrade?
    Yes, it would appear he did. Made him a "real" Sin-Eater, as it were.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    What exactly do the fans have against Carlie Cooper? Yes I get the whole forced OMD thing and yes I was furious at that too but the relationship between Carlie and Peter didn't even happen for like 100 issues between OMD and Big Time. And then the relationship didn't even last that long to begin with. So what's the issue exactly?
    Some of the hate for Carlie comes from the fact that She’s associated with Peter’s regression as a character during Dan Slott’s run. He couldnÂ’t be himself around her, he acted like a bumbling idiot at times to keep her from learning his identity. Plus, it didn’t help that MJ was still in the book, always hanging around in background and being Peter’s sounding board. Why should we care about a new potential love interest, when the woman that Peter should be with is right there? Carlie always felt like a modern equivalent of Debra Whitman; someone whom peter only dated casually, but was not emotionally serious about being with. Carlie was a place holder. Seriously, what can she bring to the peter side of his personality that makes her unique?

Fantastic Member

I also recall fans reacted to Carlie's character being kind of … unsympathetic when initially introduced (particularly when judged against Lily, and a few months later, Norah)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Enjoyed the issue, didn't mind the montage for Carlie, loved the montage for MJ of course. Art by Bagley was as nice as ever imo. Looking forward to issue 46.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I dunno why, but I always assumed Overdrive was way younger. lol
    You're not the only one.

BANNED

It would be funny if Kindred turned out to be a clone of Norman Osborn looking to replace the cheap miserable original version and is intending to make Peter his "heir" again to satisfy his sick loser delusional self.

Can we please go back to how Sin Eater's blast went TROUGH Peter's body and he was unharmed, yet it seemingly killed Overdrive?????

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Can we please go back to how Sin Eater's blast went TROUGH Peter's body and he was unharmed, yet it seemingly killed Overdrive?????
    It was a magical bullet, only intended for Overdrive. Spider-Man was just in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    It was a magical bullet, only intended for Overdrive. Spider-Man was just in the way.
    okayyyy, where did I miss this explanation of the magic bullet? All I saw was a blast go through Spidey's body and do nothing, but hit overdrive and do damage.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    okayyyy, where did I miss this explanation of the magic bullet? All I saw was a blast go through Spidey's body and do nothing, but hit overdrive and do damage.
    Not to be rude but sometimes things like this don't need a straight forward word bubble/caption explanation. If the blast went through Peter, clearly it wasn't meant to kill him. Kindred doesn't want Peter dead (yet) and if anything Kindred probably doesn't want Overdrive dead either. This is psychological so far and if Peter has yet another death on his conscience, it will tear him apart. I'm also surprised a few people are questioning who the man at the end of the issue is that got up from the cadaver dissection table. It's even stated that the man came in with a shotgun wound to the chest.

Edit: minor grammar mistakes.
    Last edited by xpyred; 08-10-2020 at 11:04 AM.