Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man #45

So the issue came out today.

Non-Spoilers.

Things are coming together in a big way.
    Bagley's art is really good here, and also quite gritty which is a surprise since I don't usually associate that with him.
    It's a big dense issue that covers a fair bit of ground.
    It has an explicit tie-in and acknowledgement of AMJ (which makes it odd now that it has been, presumably, canceled).

Also:

spoilers:
    We can rule out Carlie Cooper as being Kindred
    end of spoilers

Fantastic issue. This was definitely for the people who have been wanting the story to progress faster!

this is the issue from Peter Perspective from Mary Jane issue 6 correct? Thats why she wasnt here and what kind of gun did Sin Eater used it can go thru people except the main target but not kill them?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    this is the issue from Peter Perspective from Mary Jane issue 6 correct? Thats why she wasnt here and what kind of gun did Sin Eater used it can go thru people except the main target but not kill them?
    Presumably it's a literal magic bullet.

Astonishing Member

that montage of Carlie past, seeing her dating phase with Peter annoyed me but then a couple of pages later, theres a montage of Peter relationship with MJ and i feel much better. I think this is a first time Bagley drew any of the post OMD supporting cast. he might had drawn Silk dont remember

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

That opening scene with Carlie very ominously mirrored Jean DeWolff's narration at the beginning of "The Death of Jean DeWolff." I thought for sure Carlie was a goner when she wondered, "Why have I been thinking about my life just now?" And maybe she still is...

So I think the father theme running throughout this issue--including the scene from Hamlet about avenging one's parent--makes an increasingly strong case for Kindred being either Gwen or Harry.

The guy at the end who died and came back to life, are we supposed to know who he is? And does this potentially imply that Sin Eater's magic bullet brings people back from the dead in some kind of altered state?

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    That opening scene with Carlie very ominously mirrored Jean DeWolff's narration at the beginning of "The Death of Jean DeWolff." I thought for sure Carlie was a goner when she wondered, "Why have I been thinking about my life just now?" And maybe she still is...

So I think the father theme running throughout this issue--including the scene from Hamlet about avenging one's parent--makes an increasingly strong case for Kindred being either Gwen or Harry.

The guy at the end who died and came back to life, are we supposed to know who he is? And does this potentially imply that Sin Eater's magic bullet brings people back from the dead in some kind of altered state?
    I think that was Overdrive, an African-American man in his early thirties who had taken a shotgun to the chest a few pages earlier.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think that was Overdrive, an African-American man in his early thirties who had taken a shotgun to the chest a few pages earlier.
    Ah, ok. I totally missed the connection. Interesting. Wonder if Sin-Eater is raising some kind of army of 'cleansed' souls for Kindred.

I really liked the comic and the tone, but the drawing ... I don't know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

I do not think many tears would be shed if Carlie Cooper was sent to Sleep With The Fish. I also think the probability of Gwen and Harry as Kindred went up and Ned went down. A sick outcome would be Peter and Norman having to team up, and depending on who Kindred is, either Peter kills Gwen ( if she is Kindted) or the more likely scenario, it is Harry and Norman kills Harry. Norman is such a douche it would be kinda nice if Harry was Kindred and he has to kill him.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 07-29-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I dunno why, but I always assumed Overdrive was way younger. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I do not think many tears would be shed if Carlie Cooper was sent to Sleep With The Fish.
    Which is why Spencer won't do it just yet. It would be gratuitous and pointless as well as mean spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I dunno why, but I always assumed Overdrive was way younger. lol
    You are right. He did come of as looking far older here than in Superior Foes of Spider-Man (his best showing as a character).

I'm kind of curious how in-sync this book and MJ's were supposed to be. Not that the rest of the issues might not even be released, I wonder what the plan is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Bagley's art is really good here, and also quite gritty which is a surprise since I don't usually associate that with him.
    Bagley's art on a main Spider-Man title is such a huge plus. My first issue of Amazing Spider-Man was during Maximum Carnage and then after that i jumped on during Lifetheft and his art was always amazing. His art on Ultimate Spider-Man was also great but if you go back you will notice that his art gets this same gritty feel somewhere between Hobgoblin and Warriors. I love it

This issue is what I've wanted from the series in quite some time. Maybe the feeling was exacerbated because of the delays product of the pandemic, but the mystery has been stretched far more than I would've wanted to. Certainly, there are longer mysteries in ASM, like the Hobgoblin's identity, but it usually had its own space to developed and throw clues, while Kindred has almost been an omnipresent character. I'm betting for Harry, maybe it's a red herring, but I would love if it was him, a solution that brings a nice link between Harry's demise and his resurrection.

I think the first half of this issue was stronger, with a great build of Sin-Eater as a character proper for a horror movie. Once Spider-Man and him got tangled in a fight, it became more straightforward superhero storytelling. The cliffhanger is pretty cool and makes for a myriad of options the title can go to
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH