Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    We don't even know if they are going to play a significant role in the comic again. Nor is it as if they were very defined characters before, they were basically characters created to die in a mini and give Vulcan backstory in Deadly Genesis.
    That's not really the point though, is it? They were blank slates, and he chose to make them manipulative drunks who don't care about their friend. It's lazy writing. I'm loving what Hickman's doing with the X-men, but his ladies need a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Possibly. And yet this issue gave me the feeling that 'Petra' and 'Sway' aren't really Petra and Sway, but are some sort of sleeper agents keeping an eye on Vulcan for the creepy alien dudes (unconsciously, at least, perhaps only being full-on Manchurian candidate when they are asleep, or blackout drunk?).

That also seems likely, just as it seems that none of them have much desire to hang out on Krakoa, the island that killed and ate them and, for the girls in particular, that's like *the last thing they remember* before waking up in this new shiny happy Krakoa-kumbaya-klub.

And yeah, it is odd how Petra is just 'Petra' and Sway is 'Suzanne Chan' with an actual name, and named parents (David and Emily), while Petra's Danish parents and brother also go unnamed. It's like, this is Vulcan (info dump) and this is Sway (small amount of background information) and this is Petra (out of space, TBD)...
    I think they are just in a hedonistic phase and do not want to go down to Krakoa more than the minimum. They want to drown their sorrows in alcohol and parties.

Which is honestly a clear symptom of depression.

We know that, for example, Synch had adaptation problems after he was resurrected and that is precisely why Skin was resurrected prematurely, to give him emotional support. For Sway and Petra it has to be even worse because they died long before.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    That's not really the point though, is it? They were blank slates, and he chose to make them manipulative drunks who don't care about their friend. It's lazy writing. I'm loving what Hickman's doing with the X-men, but his ladies need a lot of work.
    They care about his friend. It's just that they obviously don't do it in a healthy way, but rather that they have toxic codependency. You are seeing it as superficial but it is really very common for people with trauma or depression to hide in parties and alcoholism.

They care about his friend. It's just that they obviously don't do it in a healthy way, but rather that they have toxic codependency. You are seeing it as superficial but it is really very common for people with trauma or depression to hide in parties and alcoholism.
    I mean if I called my friend a name, and they asked me to stop, I would stop. They were written as bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I mean if I called my friend a name, and they asked me to stop, I would stop. They were written as bullies.
    So I said that they have a toxic relationship. Vulcan is obviously the enabler because he gives them the means and the place.
    Last edited by Glio; 07-30-2020 at 08:28 AM.

People are putting too much into the Petra, Sway, Vulcan "friendship". They arent really friends. They dont know each other. They met several years ago and only spent a few days around each other before they were murdered by a mutant they now live on. Stop and think about that for a second. That is the only thing that connects them. The three have gravitated towards each other bc that is a unique experience they dont share with anyone else. Vulcan at least has a family but Petra and Sway dont know anyone on Krakoa and only have each other. Maybe they keep getting drunk bc of the sad reality of what their lives are. The world has changed dramatically and the alcohol is their way to deal with that

The Deadly Genesis gang seems so immature. I suspect they are the youngest of the recruited new x-men and not a one of them should be drinking. But then i also think all three have deep emotional stories they are avoiding by drinking. Vulcan we are getting to see a bit but Petra and Sway are very intriguing. I don't get the sense they are drinking because it's fun but rather because they know they all just want to forget and feel good.

Krakoa needs to open a therapy office stat, I volunteer paige and Jean to run it. Could be a great comic sort of like those Doc Samson moments we get.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    People are putting too much into the Petra, Sway, Vulcan "friendship". They arent really friends. They dont know each other. They met several years ago and only spent a few days around each other before they were murdered by a mutant they now live on. Stop and think about that for a second. That is the only thing that connects them. The three have gravitated towards each other bc that is a unique experience they dont share with anyone else. Vulcan at least has a family but Petra and Sway dont know anyone on Krakoa and only have each other. Maybe they keep getting drunk bc of the sad reality of what their lives are. The world has changed dramatically and the alcohol is their way to deal with that
    They spent months together in a simulated way to train them in time for the mission.

It was really only a couple of hours but for them it was months. Before this they already lived together with Moira but we don't know for how long, probably little.

But yeah, they don't have a strong or healthy friendship. But they are the closest thing to friends they have with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Krakoa needs to open a therapy office stat, I volunteer paige and Jean to run it. Could be a great comic sort of like those Doc Samson moments we get.
    A therapy office is a good idea, just don’t let Emma be involved lol.

In X-Men # 1 they comment that they have empaths and telepaths to help children traumatized by ORCHIS. But at the end of the day, therapy is voluntary. You have to want to have therapy.

I think the resurrection protocols bring mutants back at peak physical condition, not necessarily the age they died at

That's why Synch isn't a teenager and closer to the rest of his class in age.

They spent months together in a simulated way to train them in time for the mission.

It was really only a couple of hours but for them it was months. Before this they already lived together with Moira but we don't know for how long, probably little.

But yeah, they don't have a strong or healthy friendship. But they are the closest thing to friends they have with each other.
    It was simulated and fake and part of the reason why they failed so epically in their first mission. We dont know if they even still have those false memories bc they werent real but were rather deceptive

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The Deadly Genesis gang seems so immature. I suspect they are the youngest of the recruited new x-men and not a one of them should be drinking. But then i also think all three have deep emotional stories they are avoiding by drinking. Vulcan we are getting to see a bit but Petra and Sway are very intriguing. I don't get the sense they are drinking because it's fun but rather because they know they all just want to forget and feel good.

We know they at least get psychological evaluation. Synch had trouble coping and I presume thats what we are seeing with Sway and Petra

Last edited by Havok83; 07-30-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I think the resurrection protocols bring mutants back at peak physical condition, not necessarily the age they died at

When is a mutant at peak physical condition, exactly? Their mid-twenties? Does that mean if a child mutant were to die, they would be resurrected as an adult?

That's probably why the three of them are together, they share the background and in theory it should help them. The theory is good, the problem is when that generates toxic codependency.

Petra and Sway are without a doubt resurrected before their time (they are probably the longest-dead mutants we've seen resurrected). They probably thought it was a good idea to keep Vulcan stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    When is a mutant at peak physical condition, exactly? Their mid-twenties? Does that mean if a child mutant were to die, they would be resurrected as an adult?
    Thats not what was said

The perhaps suggests that its a case by case basis. There is no set rule that every mutant resurrected is brought back at their peak physical form. That would cause alot of psychological problems, like the one Dipter suggests. Combat mutants, aka the X-men, most likely are bc they are soldiers that protect Krakoa, but I wouldnt expect that to be the case for most