Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    It would be nice to see Anne Marie and Remy be the first to actually procreate on Krakoa being married and all...
    Agree, I'm so tired of Rogue having this crisis of conscience,troubled childhood, abandonment stuff exposition.Finally let her be a parent and be a great one at that.Natural progression for her character,Remy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Maybe someone meant to go back over the placeholder dialogue and give Petra and Sway personalities, but there wasn’t time since X-Men #9.
    He's not the greatest at writing female characters.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I wish Petra and Sway were "unpacked" a bit , very one-note here. I hope the codependency between the three of them is a developing story and doesn't just get dropped
    Yeah, this was what I was here for, since Vulcan's already had a story, and those two are kind of ciphers, and... bupkiss.

Vulcan does Vulcan stuff. Much burnination, with fire, and there's (shock!) mental instabilities. Yawn. Same ol' same ol.' We've danced this dance. Show us some new moves or get off the floor.

It's hilarious how in the main event that moon base is treated as the big deal and here is "Vulcan had a bad day".

God, the X-Men tie-ins are being the highlight of the event.

Mighty Member

I like that Hickman doesn't let the Summer brothers kill each other like what the earlier writers did.

This family relationship is so much better and it should be this way.

Will we see a Vulcan romantic relationship with either Petra or Sway? I hope so.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    I wonder who is the fourth summers brother then
    Why should there be a fourth Summers brother? I think it's already stretching it too far to explain more brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Why should there be a fourth Summers brother? I think it's already stretching it too far to explain more brothers.
    One of the Sinister Secrets alludes to the possibility. But it also says "I could be lying."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    One of the Sinister Secrets alludes to the possibility. But it also says "I could be lying."
    See. I thought was hinting at there being two Vulcans, one resurrected on Krakoa and one still in the Fault.

But now we know that’s not the case.

I know we didn’t get much characterisation from Sway and Petra before they died but what? They continue to be lifeless, symbiotic pissheads. Both have relatively useful and powerful abilities and all they’re doing is getting drunk and acting as wallpaper for Vulcan’s story. I also found the “Emperor” part from Petra a little callous as he doesn’t like it (and that was a traumatic part of his life). They need to get some development or just go back to acting as window dressing on Krakoa.

Not much of a Vulcan fan but I did feel the expected sympathy I was expected too. Art was decent. Issue was just mostly flat.

After ten numbers it is clear that this is a plot driven series. Some people prefer character driven series and it is ok to have different tastes, but neither approach is inherently superior to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I know we didn’t get much characterisation from Sway and Petra before they died but what? They continue to be lifeless, symbiotic pissheads. Both have relatively useful and powerful abilities and all they’re doing is getting drunk and acting as wallpaper for Vulcan’s story. I also found the “Emperor” part from Petra a little callous as he doesn’t like it (and that was a traumatic part of his life). They need to get some development or just go back to acting as window dressing on Krakoa.

Not much of a Vulcan fan but I did feel the expected sympathy I was expected too. Art was decent. Issue was just mostly flat.
    I actually thought the “Emperor” joke was an interesting touch. From her perspective after she died Vulcan got to become an all powerful space emperor. Yes, it’s insensitive but she doesn’t have the context of all the trauma that Vulcan has from that time.

It was one issue, I'm sure down the line when Vulcan really needs them, Sway and Petra will come through for him.
    Maybe even Darwin when he gets out of the vault, it would be a really nice and sweet touch to his redemption.

All three of them are clearly suppressing things that happened with them, hence the drinking and partying.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don't think Hickman is trying to make Petra and Sway viable so much as he needs characters that could communicate to the audience how Vulcan is trying to act normal despite being anything but. They're stereotypical drunk college students and Vulcan is the kid trying (and failing) to rise above those temptations. Petra and Sway exist to push his arc forward.
    I get that was Hickman's intention, but it was a disappointing portrayal of them nonetheless. I hope they do get some character development because the potential for them to be good characters is there (interesting backstory + cool powers and looks).

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    After ten numbers it is clear that this is a plot driven series. Some people prefer character driven series and it is ok to have different tastes, but neither approach is inherently superior to the other.
    No story can be a good one without meaningful characterizations. A plot without character work is stale.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    No story can be a good one without meaningful characterizations. A plot without character work is stale.
    Not at all. Both can work just as well and are just as valid approaches.

Plot driven is especially common in horror, sci-fi, or epic fantasy.