Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Yeah that was my thought,since there was a lot of talk of evilness and that kind of was their thing
    They're a creepy ass group for sure.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    How many kids does Deathbird have? Vulcan's baby, Lifeguard, Slipstream, those two in the Imperial guard...
    Lifeguard, and Slipstream were grandfathered in (retconned) as being Deathbird's offspring -- [While never outright revealed as Lifeguard’s mother, there are four strong hints pointing at Deathbird as the only likely candidate. Her Shi'Ar facial markings indicate that Heather is of royal descent (X-Treme X-Men #14), Deathbird had been banished from the Shi’Ar Empire and was living on Earth for an unknown amount of time, two other children of Deathbird – Black Light and White Noise – sport golden metallic skin as well (X-Men: Spotlight On… Starjammers #2) and a cryptic entry in Destiny’s diaries depicts Deathbird and a female with Shi’Ar facial markings in an X-uniform, along with the line “mothered by War”, which happened to be Deathbird’s Horseman moniker while she was serving Apocalypse.]
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-29-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member

My theory is that she laid the egg she had with Bishop somewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Lifeguard, and Slipstream were grandfathered in (retconned) as being Deathbird's offspring -- [While never outright revealed as Lifeguard’s mother, there are four strong hints pointing at Deathbird as the only likely candidate. Her Shi'Ar facial markings indicate that Heather is of royal descent (X-Treme X-Men #14), Deathbird had been banished from the Shi’Ar Empire and was living on Earth for an unknown amount of time, two other children of Deathbird – Black Light and White Noise – sport golden metallic skin as well (X-Men: Spotlight On… Starjammers #2) and a cryptic entry in Destiny’s diaries depicts Deathbird and a female with Shi’Ar facial markings in an X-uniform, along with the line “mothered by War”, which happened to be Deathbird’s Horseman moniker while she was serving Apocalypse.]
    How old is Deathbird?

I think Vulcan's baby would be valuable, he being an Omega level and former Emperor of the Shiar.

Maybe someone meant to go back over the placeholder dialogue and give Petra and Sway personalities, but there wasn’t time since X-Men #9.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    How old is Deathbird?

I think Vulcan's baby would be valuable, he being an Omega level and former Emperor of the Shiar.

Maybe the Kree will attempt to kidnap Vulcan's baby like the X-Men tried to kidnap Franklin Richards since the child was infused with Kree DNA.
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-29-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was a fine issue. Never really cared much for Vulcan, but it was good to address some of the questions surrounding his return and setting up a future plot for him. I'm actually somewhat invested in the character now. I didn't mind the characterization on Petra and Sway, the issue wasn't about them but we saw enough to know where they're at, traumatized and coping with booze, and their scenes were funny. The note from Scott was nice. I wish they had gotten another artist for the Chandilore page, they've talked about how beautiful this place was supposed to be and we got that. Organic landscapes are not Yu's strength, and the anatomy on Rachel was awkward.

I wonder who is the fourth summers brother then

Definitely not the worst of this run, but also not the best. Someone said in a previous thread that the first 12 issues of this run are supposed to be setup before Hickman takes off with ongoing stories, but we'll have to wait until after XoS for that to be confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Definitely not the worst of this run, but also not the best. Someone said in a previous thread that the first 12 issues of this run are supposed to be setup before Hickman takes off with ongoing stories, but we'll have to wait until after XoS for that to be confirmed.
    Issues 8 and 9 were a two parter which itself was a followup to his New Mutants run

Fantastic Member

That family vacay page was worth the money I paid for the book alone. so nice to see them all today. even with Logan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    I wonder who is the fourth summers brother then
    Was this 4th Summers brother born before of after D'Ken stabbed Katherine Summers to death while yanking her unborn Fetus from her womb.

Last edited by Micabe; 07-29-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I liked the issue and it was a clever tie in to Empyre. Hope we get to see more of the summers vacation than this though, it was teased for several issues and if we only see 1 page of it then why did Hickman build up the vacation so much..

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I don't love the characterization of Sway and Petra here. The drinking is fine, but they came off as manipulative bullies who didn't really care about Vulcan besides his being able to get them into Summer House.

I know we don't have much to go on with their characterization, but this wasn't a great route to take for them.
    Yeah, I was excited to see more of them, but their characterization was so one note. All they wanted was to drink and party. And their dialogues were basically interchangeable.
    They're such great blank slates to explore and this is what Hickman does? I don't see how this portrayal will make them viable characters in the long run.

I do like how he handled Vulcan, thought. I find he's usually better at writing men and his women are only enjoyable when they're being snarky like Emma, which isn't a great look.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, I was excited to see more of them, but their characterization was so one note. All they wanted was to drink and party. And their dialogues were basically interchangeable.
    They're such great blank slates to explore and this is what Hickman does? I don't see how this portrayal will make them viable characters in the long run.

I do like how he handled Vulcan, thought. I find he's usually better at writing men and his women are only enjoyable when they're being snarky like Emma, which isn't a great look.
    Yeah, those are the Remender vibes I'm not really fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    But the Summers aren't important right now, you could put any other group of characters on their place and the story Hickman is telling would be the same. The only character who seems important is Vulcan, the rest are just background.

X-Men #1 may look like it have the Summers as focus, but the real important thing is showing the status quo in Krakoa and giving the hook of the New Mutants traveling with the Starjammers. X-Men #2 is about the other island and Apocalypse conection to it. #3 was about setting Horderculture; #4 about Krakoa relation with other nations, etc.
    In any of those issues Cyclops or his family were actually the focus point, they were at best a point of view, but mostly he was there just to give the appearance of connection.
    I think that's it though, I don't think their woven story is strong connective tissue. I love Scott and Jean, but Hickman's strengths are elsewhere. He'd have been better suited using Cannonball and Sunspot as his thread between the one-offs.