Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I wished they just focused on Cyclops, Jean and the kids instead

Want to sleep but I'm afraid that Petra and Sway will show up in my dreams offering me a drink and taunting me about my genocidal past

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, I was excited to see more of them, but their characterization was so one note. All they wanted was to drink and party. And their dialogues were basically interchangeable.
    They're such great blank slates to explore and this is what Hickman does? I don't see how this portrayal will make them viable characters in the long run.

I do like how he handled Vulcan, thought. I find he's usually better at writing men and his women are only enjoyable when they're being snarky like Emma, which isn't a great look.
    I don't think Hickman is trying to make Petra and Sway viable so much as he needs characters that could communicate to the audience how Vulcan is trying to act normal despite being anything but. They're stereotypical drunk college students and Vulcan is the kid trying (and failing) to rise above those temptations. Petra and Sway exist to push his arc forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Vulcan, Petra and Sway are just friends right?

No poly going on with them?
    At this point who knows, heck for all we know they are part of that trio of aliens sent to monitor him or something.

I just assume everyone is doing it on that island.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I just assume everyone is doing it on that island.
    So far Rogue and Gambit aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I do like how he handled Vulcan, thought. I find he's usually better at writing men and his women are only enjoyable when they're being snarky like Emma, which isn't a great look.
    He's definitely great at snark but I've really enjoyed his Moira and Ororo too.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So far Rogue and Gambit aren’t.
    Well that’s just usually how it goes with Rogue when it comes to Gambit. When it’s actually available with him she doesn’t want it from him.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-29-2020 at 06:13 PM.

How old are Vulcan, Petra and Sway supposed to be? Like who would be their closest peers? Are they Gen X's age?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    They're a creepy ass group for sure.

Inhumans!!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Well that’s just usually how it goes with Rogue when it comes to Gambit. When it’s actually available with him she doesn’t want it from him.
    That's how it used to be. They've been closer over the last few years, now they're talking about having children and being naked in hot tubs together.

https://abload.de/img/17qvkr1.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's how it used to be. They've been closer over the last few years, now they're talking about having children and being naked in hot tubs together.
    It would be nice to see Anne Marie and Remy be the first to actually procreate on Krakoa being married and all...

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I love how the whole Empyre invasion is something that is treated like an everyday invasion so if one weren't following that event you don't feel like you're missing something.

Gotta love Hickman's skills of weaving a delicate story

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How old are Vulcan, Petra and Sway supposed to be? Like who would be their closest peers? Are they Gen X's age?
    Younger than the O5 but slightly older than New Mutants. My guess Rogue,Iceman,Colossus,Kitty and Karma or any of the slightly older New Mutants/X-Force group are their peers. The instance on keeping Cyclops and company a certain age makes this a headache.

I think I liked this issue more than the Brood King Egg two-part story and definitely more than the Horticulture one (I really hated that issue). Vulcan has been around for a while now and it was nice to finally dive into his headspace. I actually felt a lot of sympathy for him.

And I even liked how Sway and Petra were portrayed. I think introducing them this way was just enough without giving anything away. Since this was a Vulcan story, you don't want to get into their issues if you're not going to go there (and they probably have a lot of trauma that they're processing). They may have seemed vapid and uncaring, but there were tiny hints that they're trying to help Vulcan through this. Like how they didn't judge his meltdown. You'll also notice that for a moment they switched to calling him Gabriel when he needed it. I dunno, I found their dynamic intriguing.