2 1.21%
  • Current Bendis Legion

8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your favorite version of Legion of Super Heroes

Of all the different versions of Legion of Super Heroes, which is your favorite?

Poll coming.

i put them in other of how i like them

Other Retroboot
    Five Years Later Legion
    Paul Levitz/Keith Giffen plus Baxter book
    Zero Hour Reboot
    New 52 Legion (Not the Legion Lost. I didnt like the end of the run. Poor Sun Boy)
    Mark Waid Threeboot
    Post Infinite Crisis (Like the new characters but there were not enough old lsh
    Superboy & the Legion
    Early Adventure Comics (Both Superboy and adventure are fun but it didnt aged well. Some are really silly now)

Current Bendis Legion (THIS IS NOT A LSH BOOK)

Retired

1. ADVENTURE COMICS in the 1960s. The funny in them is what allows you to abstract some other explanation for what's happening. I think it was in an introduction to one of the Archives, where Paul Levitz (?) said that you could see these as 20th century representations of the actual story--we would not be able to understand the actual story because it's so far in the future that the concepts are beyond our present understanding.
    2. SUPERBOY (& the Legion of Super-Heroes).
    3. The first Baxter book run of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It's definitely the Levtiz/Giffen era for me. Especially the early stuff like the Great Darkness Saga. I do love the DnA run a lot too, and some of the other stuff.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I voted “other”, and will likely be the only one that does so to pick this version...:

The adaptation of The Legion’s short lived cartoon had great crisp art and humor, along w. actual adventure, and was just really fun, reminding me of all the other great versions of The Legion I read growing up in the seventies and eighties.

Zero Hour era for me, but that was my introduction so I’m probably guilty of being bit by the nostalgia bug.

My appreciation of the pre-Crisis LoSH is growing by the day, though. My experience with these stories for years was limited to the black and white Showcase collections and the Great Darkness/The Curse/Eye for an Eye/More Things Change trades, but I finally broke down and subscribed to DC Universe and so I’m slowly making my way through the whole thing.

Superboy & the Legion
    204.jpg
    The first comic book I ever bought.

I have only read a handful of Legion comics but I prefer the original version that Johns brought back in Legion of 3 Worlds. But I also like the 90's version as well that I believe XS is from? Not a fan of Waids Legion which is unusual because I generally love his work.

Ultimate Member

Pre-Crisis / Giffen/Levitz/LaRocque/Lightle is #1 for me.

Then Superboy's Legion (a mini not on your poll) and the cartoon and the Reboot.

Astonishing Member

It's hard for me to separate the Superboy and the Legion from the Giffen through Baxter since it is basically the same team/timeline. My favorite Legion is from the Cockrum new costumes up through the magic wars (end of the Baxter)
    After that favorite I guess the Johns Retroboot Legion which is the Legion mentioned above. I also really liked the DnA run and while I didn't like the tone of the 5YL run until the batch showed up it is the most densely written book that I ever really liked.
    So I guess my rankings would be:
    1) Superboy and the Legion through Baxter
    2) Retroboot Legion
    3) DnA
    4) 5YL
    5) Post Zero Hour
    6) Waid/Kitson

Waid's Legion had great Kitson heart but I never really felt it so I guess I liked the Post Zero Hour version better than that. Can't think of anything remarkable about new 52 or post Infinite Crisis Legion but I still rank them above Bendis' which I haven't enjoyed at all yet, like said above it is NOT the Legion.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, there are so many different versions of LSH. I'm sure I forgot some. And I didn't even think about the cartoons. I was thinking comics.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yes, there are so many different versions of LSH. I'm sure I forgot some. And I didn't even think about the cartoons. I was thinking comics.
    Not sure when comics first went full circle and started adapting their characters into comic books after they’d adapted their characters into cartoons (Superfriends maybe?) but the LoSH book was an excellent example of the process!

I would simply say the Pre-Crisis Legion -- certainly the pre-5YL Legion.

The original Legion was the only one that was popular. Everything else was just hoping for that level of popularity, but never made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Superboy & the Legion
    204.jpg
    The first comic book I ever bought.
    Not my first-ever comic, but my first LEGION comic was the issue before yours: Superboy 203, which was Mike Grell's first issue on pencils and where Invisible Kid gets killed by Validus.

As much as I loved the 5YL Legion stories, and it did go off the rails at some point, that iteration meant nothing without the Levitz/Giffen era. So that's where my vote went.