2 1.21%
  • Current Bendis Legion

8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Tellus was actually created by the late great artist Steve Lightle.

I can't remember who came up with the name Tellus (Levitz or Lightle) but Levitz came up with his powers and abilities. While Tellus was never my favorite Legionnaire, I didn't mind him as a background character. I did NOT care for Quislet at all.
    I thought Tellus was a good addition because of his unique look. His powers duplicated Saturn Girls' who had left the team, so there wasn't much need for him when Imra was on the team. But she wasn't around in the Giffen reboot, but we already stated how Giffen and the Bierbaums were only interested in some of the Silver Age characters (really a select few). Tellus was part of the New 52 Legion Lost. I think there is place for him if the classic Legion returns. If we're stuck with Bendis Legion, I doubt he'll be back.

I did NOT care for Quislet at all.
    Yeah, me too. Way too much annoying for me.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I thought Tellus was a good addition because of his unique look. His powers duplicated Saturn Girls' who had left the team, so there wasn't much need for him when Imra was on the team. But she wasn't around in the Giffen reboot, but we already stated how Giffen and the Bierbaums were only interested in some of the Silver Age characters (really a select few). Tellus was part of the New 52 Legion Lost. I think there is place for him if the classic Legion returns. If we're stuck with Bendis Legion, I doubt he'll be back.
    I've mentioned it before, but I'd totally get behind a 'Legion of One World' that's a team composed of the Legionnaires who *never* get chosen to appear in reboots or AUs. Tyroc and Tellus and Glorith and Dragonwing from the classic continuity, Dragonmage and Kid Quantum II and Monstress and Gates from the Reboot, Gazelle and Theena from the Threeboot, Computo and Reflex from 5YL, Monster Boy and six-armed Dr. Fate from the Bendisboot, etc. Just give us some Legionaires other than the Founders + Brainy! Heck, go wild and have both Dawnstar *and* Shikari there!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    For me, the biggest problem with Tellus was that his personality was too similar to Blok's. Yet I found Blok to be so much more enduring.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I kind of liked both of them, even if they are kinda/sorta not suited to being on the same team, being weird dopplegangers of each other.

Tons of Reboot characters, like Kid Quantum, Monstress, XS, Gates, etc. could easily have 'Earth-1 versions' and show up in the classic contuinity with Tellus and Quislet and Sensor Girl, but Shikari and Dawnstar really do feel like different interpretations of the same character.
    I never read very much of the post-Zero Hour reboot Legion, so I don't know much concerning Shikari. Is there some reason she and Dawnstar can't co-exist?

In the Levitz Legion--and even predicted in the Shooter Adult Legion--there was a new generation of characters that took over the roles of previous members. Why couldn't that have happened with Dawnstar? Many readers wanted Dawnstar and Wildfire to get their happy ending. They could have stepped back from active membership--maybe helped train new recruits at the Legion Academy, like Luornu and Chuck.

I can't tell from the lit, but I remember the team comprising a vibrant and colorful cast of amazing designs with many interesting alien species (and strangely no melonated women and only one black man --when I asked my folks why I remember it being the first awkward moment where they said they would have to talk to me when I was older).

Anywho, the cast included the super fun Astro Starly Comet Queen, the uberdesign psi Tellus, Projectra Princess, a comet guy named Wildfire or some such. But mostly I remember deliciously clean Steven Lightle art. That guys art was Sooooooooo amazing to me!

Then there was the Darkseid arc with a smaller team.

After that I didn't really see the Legion again until Supergirl joined and it was all rebellious and had really clean art but a muted color palette

Incredible Member

As a result of reading this thread, I re visited my favorite LSH era, 5YL. As I came to the end of issue #31, I was startled to see Jan have a quick conversation with Pub Rock legend Nick Lowe. Did anyone else ever think that? Was Colleen a fan?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, me too. Way too much annoying for me.

Peace
    I never really did understand Quislet's powers (probably my fault due to non-interest).

But a Legion member who was best known for spreading gossip was just too silly IMO.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Sadly... *Time runs out.* was my favorite version of the Legion. Crazy how that was supposed to be them.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I can see the desire to update Dawnstar's Space Native couture into something less sexualized but I think the "Spirit wings" are where the redesign looses me. I could be wrong. Not a dealbreaker until I see more of how they depicted in action.
    Even when she had "normal" wings, they never seemed quite right to me as they just looked "stuck on" to her back! Someone with two functional pairs of upper limbs would certainly have some adaptation to the pectoral girdle area!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gold49 View Post
    Even when she had "normal" wings, they never seemed quite right to me as they just looked "stuck on" to her back! Someone with two functional pairs of upper limbs would certainly have some adaptation to the pectoral girdle area!
    She had a lovely 'angelic' visual, but Dawnstar's powers were always squiffily defined. She could fly *in space,* where those big pretty wings would be utterly irrelevant, and certainly *flapping* them wouldn't make any sense for a person who travels, in atmosphere, at supersonic speeds (and is said to fly interstellar distances in space!). I have no problem with her having a pretty visual, *and* having a power that's like, a tenth what Superboy or Mon-El brings to the table (since they can also fly at ludicrous-speed in space, plus have a ton of other powers), but the notion that her wings really have anything to do with her powers is kinda silly. I just think of them as a cool visual element, like White Witch's antennae that don't necessarily have a darn thing to do with the White Witch's powers.

Unfortunately, her primary power, her tracking power, is either too good, or conveniently not working. The stone cold second the Legion know who their enemy is, Dawnstar can point at the sky and say, 'He's over yonder. Shall we go kick his ass?'

Science Police liaison Gigi Cusimano "Oh no, a bunch of people escaped from Takron-Galtos again and scattered before the SPs could lojack them!"

Dawnstar "Hand me a map. Lightning Lord is here. Cosmic King is over here. Saturn Queen is here, and Esper Lass is with her, that's odd, are they a couple now? Huh, Sun Emperor is way the hell over here, and that's way too far for him to have gotten there by ship or under his own power, he must have gotten a ride from Zymr..."

"And your keys are under the couch. You're welcome."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In case you haven't heard, Timber Wolf had that look first. And it's no coincidence because Dave Cockrum gave him that look and then moved on to the X-Men where he gave Wolverine a similar look.
    Although it was Beast who had the same powers as T-Wolf - at least in their original versions!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I know, I know, it's so depressing how did we go from this...

tio this!!!

They butchered him!!! My favourite Legionairre! I'm starting to feel the Rage building, deep breaths, deep breaths, I am in control, I am in control...

Because those who make the comics, films, T.V. programmes, etc. are madly in love with the idea of "fixing" what was never broken!!

- the T-Wolf design is horrible. He looks more like a Mennonite Bear than anything wolf-like. Thankfully, things like his build might be up for interpretation depending on the artist, so he might revert back in future appearances. (assuming this Legion doesn't get rebooted away)

Spectacular Member

Since we're on the subject - and without making a new thread with a poll - who was your favorite Legion of Super Heroes artist?
    Most definately John Forte! Great artist, and really - and consistently - made the Legionnaires look like individuals.