8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Your favorite version of Legion of Super Heroes

Of all the different versions of Legion of Super Heroes, which is your favorite?

Poll coming.

i put them in other of how i like them

Other Retroboot
    Five Years Later Legion
    Paul Levitz/Keith Giffen plus Baxter book
    Zero Hour Reboot
    New 52 Legion (Not the Legion Lost. I didnt like the end of the run. Poor Sun Boy)
    Mark Waid Threeboot
    Post Infinite Crisis (Like the new characters but there were not enough old lsh
    Superboy & the Legion
    Early Adventure Comics (Both Superboy and adventure are fun but it didnt aged well. Some are really silly now)

Current Bendis Legion (THIS IS NOT A LSH BOOK)

Retired

1. ADVENTURE COMICS in the 1960s. The funny in them is what allows you to abstract some other explanation for what's happening. I think it was in an introduction to one of the Archives, where Paul Levitz (?) said that you could see these as 20th century representations of the actual story--we would not be able to understand the actual story because it's so far in the future that the concepts are beyond our present understanding.
    2. SUPERBOY (& the Legion of Super-Heroes).
    3. The first Baxter book run of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It's definitely the Levtiz/Giffen era for me. Especially the early stuff like the Great Darkness Saga. I do love the DnA run a lot too, and some of the other stuff.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I voted “other”, and will likely be the only one that does so to pick this version...:

The adaptation of The Legion’s short lived cartoon had great crisp art and humor, along w. actual adventure, and was just really fun, reminding me of all the other great versions of The Legion I read growing up in the seventies and eighties.

Zero Hour era for me, but that was my introduction so I’m probably guilty of being bit by the nostalgia bug.

My appreciation of the pre-Crisis LoSH is growing by the day, though. My experience with these stories for years was limited to the black and white Showcase collections and the Great Darkness/The Curse/Eye for an Eye/More Things Change trades, but I finally broke down and subscribed to DC Universe and so I’m slowly making my way through the whole thing.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    It's definitely the Levtiz/Giffen era for me. Especially the early stuff like the Great Darkness Saga. I do love the DnA run a lot too, and some of the other stuff.
    I picked the '70s era due to nostalgia's sake, but the Great Darkness Saga is easily my favorite Legion story.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Zero Hour Reboot for me. I want to read Paul Levitz/Keith Giffen plus Baxter book but don't know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    1. ADVENTURE COMICS in the 1960s. The funny in them is what allows you to abstract some other explanation for what's happening. I think it was in an introduction to one of the Archives, where Paul Levitz (?) said that you could see these as 20th century representations of the actual story--we would not be able to understand the actual story because it's so far in the future that the concepts are beyond our present understanding.
    2. SUPERBOY (& the Legion of Super-Heroes).
    3. The first Baxter book run of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.
    Yeah, those are pretty much the best (in my opinion).
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post

How is it not?

All things Levitz/Giffen get my vote. I actually consider the 5YL Legion to be an extension of that run (at least in the beginning until Giffen departed writing)
    Last edited by Thirteen; 07-29-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I actually voted for the Zero Hour reboot.
    Now Levitz and Giffen are obviously the benchmark, but I thought the Zero Hour reboot was really well done.
    While not perfect, it was FAR superior to anything that came after and when at it's best was up there with the best of 'em.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I actually voted for the Zero Hour reboot.
    Now Levitz and Giffen are obviously the benchmark, but I thought the Zero Hour reboot was really well done.
    While not perfect, it was FAR superior to anything that came after and when at it's best was up there with the best of 'em.
    I voted Zero Hour reboot as well.

I think it’s main advantages in hindsight are that it feels more like an adaptation of the Legion than a reboot, breaking some cardinal rules of the formula but doing so without an obnoxiously superior attitude, and that it’s lacks some of the later reboots’ “Nostalgia.... but DARK!” ideas that could get tired and feel spiteful at a certain point. It’s sort of like the “Deep Space 9“ of the Legions’ “Star Trek”; it’s not by any means exceptionally faithful to the “doctrine” of LOS’s reboots... but it’s still faithful to the fundamental aspects.

...Also, I love the costume designs of that era.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I actually consider the 5YL Legion to be an extension of that run (at least in the beginning until Giffen departed writing)
    I separated it because of issues 4 & 5 where they basically created a new timeline and swapped Superboy with Lar Gand as being the inspiration for the Legion (and swapping Supergirl with Laurel Gand). To me, it was a reboot in doing that.
    Last edited by caj; 07-30-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Other Retroboot
    Five Years Later Legion
    Zero Hour Reboot
    New 52 Legion (Not the Legion Lost. I didnt like the end of the run. Poor Sun Boy)
    Mark Waid Threeboot
    Superboy & the Legion
    Early Adventure Comics (Both Superboy and adventure are fun but it didnt aged well. Some are really silly now)

What's the difference between Post Infinite Crisis and Other Retroboot?

Extraordinary Member

Other Retroboot
    Five Years Later Legion
    Zero Hour Reboot
    Mark Waid Threeboot
    Superboy & the Legion

Sun Boy fared just as bad, if not worse, in the Five Years Later Legion. Why were so many writers so rough on Sun Boy. He was a great character IMO.