2 1.21%
  • Current Bendis Legion

8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, Dream Girl and Bouncing Boy have always been my two favourite Legionnaires--both their look and their character--and their redesigns are just as off putting.
    I must say I've never heard anyone quote Bouncing Boy as their favourite Legionairre, but hey I love Matter Eater Lad, so to each their own.

I take it that Dream Girl is not wearing her traditional sparkly silver suit then?

For me the real rub is the way that Timber Wolf looks, of all the Legionairres (with perhaps the exception of Karate Kid), he's supposed to look in shape, fit, and tough....Bendi's version...not so much.

All-New Member

Five Years Later absolutely blew my mind when it came out, especially the first several issues. I was a teenager at the time. I went through that first issue over and over. The tone, scale, and pace of the first issue of Hickman's House of X actually reminded me in ways of the first Five Years Later Legion issue, but I could be pretty off about that.

I would love to go back and read that entire Levitz/Giffen to Giffen/Bierbaums era.

Astonishing Member

I got the feeling Geoff really wants to do the retroboot Legion he brought back in Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes. He even teased them initially in Doomsday Clock before whatever palace intrigue coup d'etat derailed it. I pray he gets to do it after this Bendis thing runs it's course. I have no doubt Johns could make the LSH just as popular as his JSA run which was top tier. Having the original Legion be my first and suffering through all the reboots, I want my Legion back. The reboots had some really cool characters like XS that can easily join the team. This is the only way I see the Legion returning to prominence it will have to be rebirthed into it's greatest version.

While I don't necessarily have the same assurance that he'd be able to bring it back to prominence, just because its proven a tough concept to get people into regardless, I'd be all for Johns getting to work with the Legion he brought back with its proper ties to Superman. He'd certainly have a better chance of getting it back to some semblance of popularity with his preferred classic set up over the monstrosity currently going. The current reboot doesn't even have its own identity, its just a stepping stone to DC's continuing "Jon Kent aka Superman The Great" agenda.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by fluxy23 View Post
    Five Years Later absolutely blew my mind when it came out, especially the first several issues. I was a teenager at the time. I went through that first issue over and over. The tone, scale, and pace of the first issue of Hickman's House of X actually reminded me in ways of the first Five Years Later Legion issue, but I could be pretty off about that.

I would love to go back and read that entire Levitz/Giffen to Giffen/Bierbaums era.
    That 5YL run was brilliant right up until issue #38 aptly titled "The END". Perfect sequel/coda to the Levitz era LEGION. Even the Batch SW6 stuff that set the stage for the next split version of the LSH/Legionnaires which was trying to have your cake and eat it too...
    Cmon, Laurel Gand y'all!

Fantastic Member

I do have this burning question:
    Should I try to collect 5YL run in floppies? The letter pages of 5YL were so amusing. And the original coloring, for sure.
    OR is the upcoming omnibus way to go?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    For me the real rub is the way that Timber Wolf looks, of all the Legionairres (with perhaps the exception of Karate Kid), he's supposed to look in shape, fit, and tough....Bendi's version...not so much.
    I don't get most of these new looks, but I definitely agree that Timber Wolf is probably the worst of the worst. I always think of TW as being agile as well. This lug looks like he would be a bull in a china shop.

Five Years Later hands down. Very interesting take on the Legion that I really enjoyed.

My only thought concerning Timber Wolf’s look is they’re trying to make the Legion as diverse as possible. Every character shouldn’t be sculpted. I wish there was more variety in all books when it comes to body types. I don’t know what Timber Wolf looked like before but I’m assuming he had the typical super hero build.

I googled the character and I have seen Timber Wolf before. Years ago, a friend showed me some of his comics from the 80’s I believe and a featured the Legion. This is exactly what I remember the character looking like. Looks like Wolverine a bit. I think the Sook version is a definite improvement.

34A47C1E-85DC-465A-9EE4-B5382D8B09B6.jpg

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

5 Years Later, 1000%. Really top notch book with killer craft.

5YL is a part of the larger Giffen/Levitz tapestry, though. All the Giffen and Levitz stuff is great. That's the ground work that future LoSH books should build from. Just pushed further out, further into the future and with bolder steps.

I liked when the Legion showed up in Morrison's ACTION COMICS, but we didn't get much of them.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-03-2020 at 03:49 PM.

My favorite Legionnaire has always been Timber Wolf.
    Especially drawn by Dave Cockrum.
    TW.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I don't get most of these new looks, but I definitely agree that Timber Wolf is probably the worst of the worst. I always think of TW as being agile as well. This lug looks like he would be a bull in a china shop.

I know, I know, it's so depressing how did we go from this...

tio this!!!

They butchered him!!! My favourite Legionairre! I'm starting to feel the Rage building, deep breaths, deep breaths, I am in control, I am in control...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I googled the character and I have seen Timber Wolf before. Years ago, a friend showed me some of his comics from the 80’s I believe and a featured the Legion. This is exactly what I remember the character looking like. Looks like Wolverine a bit. I think the Sook version is a definite improvement.

34A47C1E-85DC-465A-9EE4-B5382D8B09B6.jpg
    In case you haven't heard, Timber Wolf had that look first. And it's no coincidence because Dave Cockrum gave him that look and then moved on to the X-Men where he gave Wolverine a similar look.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yowza, y'all make it sound like they turned him into Bouncing Boy. Timber Wolf as a bulked up Muscle Bear-ish cub is a natural extension of his hairy "Daddy" days of yore. Just without the cookie cutter superhero body that every other male "athletic" hero has.

Embrace the Timber WOOF

I only wish they'd found a design that showed off a hairy body like in previous versions... (ohh I feel a costume fan redesign coming)

legion.jpg
    Last edited by Thirteen; 08-04-2020 at 01:03 AM.