10 6.06%
  • New 52 Legion

2 1.21%
  • Current Bendis Legion

8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Of those listed, I guess Superboy and the Legion because that's when I was introduced to the Legion and I was really taken with them. The Adventure Comics I'd pick up at conventions or read in reprints were really fun too. But Legion is one of precious few DC properties that I've never taken a strong liking to so, honestly, my favorite is not a run; it's two short arcs:

1. World's Finest issue(s) introducing Composite Superman where the Legion were pretty much just statues, and
    2. The Lightning Saga that ran through Meltzer's criminally underrated JLA and Johns' JSA.

I know that most DC fans have a ton of love for The Great Darkness Saga and maybe I would too if I'd read it when it came out or shortly after. By the time I was persuaded to check it out though, the writing already felt too dated for me to enjoy. As nostalgic I am about comics from my youth, I wouldn't be reading them as a middle-aged person if it weren't for the writing having become more sophisticated over time. As such, I can't really enjoy a superhero comic that's more than 20 years old or so.

Extraordinary Member

So, if they were to have a new Legion book in the near future, based on this poll, which version would you like for them to pick up with the new book?

Or do you want another completely new reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    So, if they were to have a new Legion book in the near future, based on this poll, which version would you like for them to pick up with the new book?

How about making them all toddlers in diapers?

A little younger than this . . .
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 04-01-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!
    Oh, wait, you are serious. Worse, I can see that happening.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The most logical move would be to continue from the last Levitz run. The run itself was pretty dull, but that continuity kept the history from the team's most favored era (right before 5YL) and was also the version that took part in the Legion of 3 Worlds crossover, so it took every era up until then into account (even if tangentially).
    Ironically, that version is the best fit for DC's current approach of "everything counts".
    Just have it so that Bendis Legion is a team of legacies set even further in the future or that they're the Legion of an alternate Earth (like Future State Earth).

Then, for the new book, just start with a fresh new arc that's accessible to new readers. Morrison didn't need to reboot the X-men to create one of the easiest jumping on points for a franchise that's also extremely convoluted. A new LOSH book should get a new start similar to that. They should honor the spirit of the classics while telling exciting new tales instead of rehashing old stories like The Great Darkness Saga again (looking at you, Bendis).

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The most logical move would be to continue from the last Levitz run. The run itself was pretty dull, but that continuity kept the history from the team's most favored era (right before 5YL) and was also the version that took part in the Legion of 3 Worlds crossover, so it took every era up until then into account (even if tangentially).
    Ironically, that version is the best fit for DC's current approach of "everything counts".
    Just have it so that Bendis Legion is a team of legacies set even further in the future or that they're the Legion of an alternate Earth (like Future State Earth).

Then, for the new book, just start with a fresh new arc that's accessible to new readers. Morrison didn't need to reboot the X-men to create one of the easiest jumping on points for a franchise that's also extremely convoluted. A new LOSH book should get a new start similar to that. They should honor the spirit of the classics while telling exciting new tales instead of rehashing old stories like The Great Darkness Saga again (looking at you, Bendis).
    Totally agree with you Factor.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Yeah, just build on what exists. The problem with Levitz' last run is that it was extremely boring. The new characters he introduced weren't interesting -- he's have been better to introduce the Academy members . I'm probably not in the population they are most interested in -- but I know they could produce a series that would appeal to all fans -- both old and new.

I didn't hate the Bendis run, but I know DC can do better than another reboot.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How about making them all toddlers in diapers?

A little younger than this . . .
    You may laugh, but this is one of my favourite comics of all time and it went a long way to making me a Legion fan.

I really liked the TINY TITANS comic from the Johnny D.C. line. So if they did that with the same creative team for the L.S.H., I would be into it. Call it LI'L LEGIONNAIRES. The Johnny D.C. line already done did the LEGION OF SUPER-PETS.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, just build on what exists. The problem with Levitz' last run is that it was extremely boring. The new characters he introduced weren't interesting -- he's have been better to introduce the Academy members . I'm probably not in the population they are most interested in -- but I know they could produce a series that would appeal to all fans -- both old and new.
    The Academy members had more potential, but you are right, it was not goin gin the best direction.

I didn't hate the Bendis run, but I know DC can do better than another reboot.
    Right now, I don't know. I feel like there is no a clear leadership in DC. Bendis was not the best option for a concept like the Legion.

I´Ve been reading ever since Superboy and the Legion era, but, definitely, I think the Zero Hour Reboot was the one that best fullfilled the promise of the Legion. To begin with, they no longer were mere Superboy supporting characters that outgrew him. The Legion was the Legion. Period. There was a great reason for them to exist (promote Unity among a United Planets that was on the verge of dissolving itself) other than being a super-hero club. Most of the characters had specific personalities (even if you didn't like them). Before, their personalities were kind of interchangable (even if Shooter and Levitz did their best to change this). There were new characters that really looked alien (something kind of rare before). Plus, right of the bat, their actions had consequences, and failure was a reality.
    IMHO, the reboot was almost perfect right up to the Fatal Five storyline, when the Legion finally freed themselves from President's Cho oversight, and Cosmic Boy stepped down as leader (still, whereas before, he was not a very prominent character, here he was like the Legion's Captain America, the leader against whom all were measured). Afyter that, it kind of lost a bit its course. In an attempt to manage the large cast, they split the team in two, one half being stuck in the past, while the rest tried to rebuild in the future. It was still good, specially the 30Th century group, under the pen of Roger Stern. Later on, they'd attempt the split sticking half the team on Earth and the other half in an outpost. I never liked the idea. This phase of the Legion, while having competent artists, never had a real super-star penciler (unlike previous runs, with Dave Cockrum, Mike Grell, James Sherman, Keith Giffen and others). Were all the versions better? IMHO, no. Wildfire, Timber Wolf and others were more intresting before (mostly anyone who came in before the jump from Adventure Comics, was, IMHO, better off. Others, not so much).
    The reboot really took off (and many say it should even be considered a different version of the Legion) when DnA took over the writting. It also came with super-star artist in the making Oliver Coipel and, later on, Chris Batista.
    I never understood the need for a Threeboot. There was nothing that Mark Waid did that, with a little tweaking, couldn't have been done with the ZH Legion. IMHO, the Threeboot only got better when Shooter came on board, and then, they shamefully nixed it in favor Of what Geoff Johns was doing.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 04-03-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Behind the Scenes at the DC Comic World [for November 1973 dated issues] by Paul Levitz

Intrestingly enough, that picture of Superboy and the Legion welcoming back Timber Wolf is from the first Legion Book I've ever read (Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #297, I think, but I might be wrong, and I'm too lazy to go dig up my copy of the Black and White Showcase to check it, since I don't have the original book anymore). Of couse, this period (going right through the Grell, Sherman and even Stanton years), and the Levitz, Giffen years (followed by Lightle and, a very underappreciated, Laroque) made me a life-long fan. Still, I do think the Post-ZH reboot was very well-done, and I can't remember feeling the same level of excitement I did with the Legion since those early years.
    With the exception of the current Bendis thing (which as many have mentioned here, is not the Legion, just a badly done parody), I found enjoyment in all Legion eras.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Intrestingly enough, that picture of Superboy and the Legion welcoming back Timber Wolf is from the first Legion Book I've ever read (Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #297, I think, but I might be wrong, and I'm too lazy to go dig up my copy of the Black and White Showcase to check it, since I don't have the original book anymore)...
    Off by 100 issues (or else your finger slipped on the keyboard):

Yeah, I thought 197, I typed 297. Getting old. A great issue, anyway. Thanks.

Peace

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I don’t remember what I voted but I can endlessly reread the run from Adventure Comics written by Jim Shooter and Curt Swan. Some of them have Neal Adams covers. The Fatal Five, Sun Eaters, the Death of Ferro Lad, the Legion of Supervillains, and an Adult Legion story. I read them as DC digest reprints but I have tracked down some tattered 12 cent Copies. Maybe 13 year old kids should write more comics!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

My favorite Timber Wolf, makes me want to change votes!