• New 52 Legion

2 1.21%
  • Current Bendis Legion

8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The one thing that always makes me mad looking at DCs treatment of the Legion is just how much of what almost everyone considers the best Legion stuff is not collected. Barely any of the Baxter series is collected in trades. For being considered the best Legion writer there are a good 60 or 70 issues written by Levitz uncollected. It makes it look even worse when somerhing like the Waid threeboot was all collected when it is no where near as good.
    I heard once that when Levitz was President of DC (or whatever the title was), he deliberately held back on reprinting his work on the Legion so as not to be seen as profiting from it more than was seemly, or something to that effect. Not sure if there's any truth to it. I've also heard that Giffen blamed Levitz for the Five Years Later version hardly ever being reprinted because Levitz allegedly disliked what he and the Bierbaums did with it. Again, not sure if any of that is true.

Baby’s First Legion for me was the animated Legion of Superheroes cartoon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I've also heard that Giffen blamed Levitz for the Five Years Later version hardly ever being reprinted because Levitz allegedly disliked what he and the Bierbaums did with it. Again, not sure if any of that is true.
    I think Levitz purposely never read Giffen's Legion stories as he felt at the time that he had moved on from the book after so many years writing it himself. I think maybe the only Legion stuff Levitz has read since he left the book back in 1989 may have been Geoff Johns' "Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes" because he used Earth Man in his later Legion book. Levitz and Giffen have worked together several times in recent years and Levitz is always complementary of Giffen's 'genius'. So I don't think there's any animosity there.

But like you said, who knows what is true.

LEGION 00.jpgbest legion ever.

I've always liked this:
    c3bsetd1ppf11.jpg

Extraordinary Member

My favorite time in Legion history

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Baby’s First Legion for me was the animated Legion of Superheroes cartoon.
    Same here .

Paul Levitz/Keith Giffen plus Baxter book is my favorite version of the team.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I started with Superboy #199—"The Gun that Mastered Men"—in 1973. I still have a great deal of love for the Bates/Cockrum/Shooter/Grell days.

But the Levitz/Giffen period is my favorite overall, and Levtiz's second run on the title—LSH v2 #284-325 and LSH v3 #1-63, 105 regular issues plus 7 annuals and a number of spin-off mini-series—is easily my favorite larger "era."

I've enjoyed most periods of the Legion, some more than others (Shooter/Swan Adventure more than early Adventure; the Abnett/Lanning version of the Reboot Legion more than what came before; the first three years of LSH v4 more than what came after; Shooter's brief run on the Threeboot Legion more than what came before; pre-Flashpoint "Retroboot", including L3W, more than post-Flashpoint/New 52), and I'm getting a kick out of the current Bendis series despite Jon's age-up.

Edit: Also, an Elseworlds version not listed above that is easily a favorite for me is Superboy's Legion.
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 07-31-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Retired

Behind the Scenes at the DC Comic World [for November 1973 dated issues] by Paul Levitz

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If the Reboot had dealt more with the newer characters, Kid Quantum II and Kinetix and Shikari and Dragonmage and GEAR and XS and Computo, I think I would have been far more intrigued.

Meeting yet new versions of Lightning Lad and Brainy and Dreamy and Shady boot after boot after boot just gets so darn tired. Either I liked the old Dawnstar, and don't want your hot new take on her with Songbird-esque solid light wings, or I didn't like the old Dawnstar, and even more don't want a hot new take on her.

Seriously, what's the target demographic here? People who don't like the *actual* Legion of Super-Heroes, but will buy a book that says 'Legion of Super-Heroes' on the title because Brian Bendis is writing it?

That's a whole lot of work for Ryan Sook to draw every month, when all Brian Bendis needs to do is put his name on the cover to attract the same demo of 'people who will buy anything with his name on it.'

[Tangent. There's a Thracian moon-goddess of the hunt named Bendis. This amuses me. I want Bendis to write a story about Bendis, or some mortal empowered by Bendis, or something!]
    Dawnstar is one of my favourite DC characters, but her new look was a real turn off, i just drop a comic instead of negatively critiquing it or complaining, but the new costume looks have been an aesthetic turn off for a lot of fans. (Wildfire looks like he's wearing motorcycle gear, Timber Wolf out of shape?)

If Bendis brings in new fans well then great, but demographically speaking I think most Legion fans are older, as their popularity harkens back to a day before it was killed by continuous reboots.

I went with the current series. My only other exposure was a friends 70’s comics where everyone had bell bottoms & goofy costumes. I guess coming in with limited exposure has helped me embrace the Bendis Legion. It’s probably my favorite DC book.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Dawnstar is one of my favourite DC characters, but her new look was a real turn off, i just drop a comic instead of negatively critiquing it or complaining, but the new costume looks have been an aesthetic turn off for a lot of fans. (Wildfire looks like he's wearing motorcycle gear, Timber Wolf out of shape?)

If Bendis brings in new fans well then great, but demographically speaking I think most Legion fans are older, as their popularity harkens back to a day before it was killed by continuous reboots.
    I can see the desire to update Dawnstar's Space Native couture into something less sexualized but I think the "Spirit wings" are where the redesign looses me. I could be wrong. Not a dealbreaker until I see more of how they depicted in action.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I stay away from everything written by bendis.

Adventures/Superboy and the Legion/Levitz.

I consider that just one fairly consistent structure. Nosedived from there and have never remotely recovered.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-31-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El