• New 52 Legion

2 1.21%
  • Current Bendis Legion

8 4.85%
  • Other

9 5.45%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Great to see the 5YL team image again. Also, I forgot to add Al Gordon with Giffen/Bierbaums, but I think he came in more later in the run. Such creative energy, but as someone else said here, this 5YL only makes sense in relation to the Levitz/Giffen era before. My vote almost went there.

I was so into some of these new characters: Devlin, Celeste, Kono (especially), and Loomis (maybe he wasn't new). Those first 12 issues were epic as the team came together. And the cover of the first issue was magnificent. It was dark, but not oppressive. Aged up characters, I dug it, and some of the re-designs. Have to say, not a fan of Glorith, but other than that...
    Last edited by fluxy23; 08-04-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluxy23 View Post
    Great to see the 5YL team image again. Also, I forgot to add Al Gordon with Giffen/Bierbaums, but I think he came in more later in the run. Such creative energy, but as someone else said here, this 5YL only makes sense in relation to the Levitz/Giffen era before. My vote almost went there.

I was so into some of these new characters: Devlin, Celeste, Kono (especially), and Loomis (maybe he wasn't new). Those first 12 issues were epic as the team came together. And the cover of the first issue was magnificent. It was dark, but not oppressive. Aged up characters, I dug it, and some of the re-designs. Have to say, not a fan of Glorith, but other than that...
    Monica Sade!
    As a Dawnstar fan, I was surprised that I even liked the Bounty plot line and how it tied back to a Silver Age character.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    My only thought concerning Timber Wolf’s look is they’re trying to make the Legion as diverse as possible. Every character shouldn’t be sculpted. I wish there was more variety in all books when it comes to body types. I don’t know what Timber Wolf looked like before but I’m assuming he had the typical super hero build.
    How is a giant roided up bodybuilder type body any different than a sleek muscular body as far as superhero body types go. If anything the new look is just more sterotypical superheroish.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Yowza, y'all make it sound like they turned him into Bouncing Boy. Timber Wolf as a bulked up Muscle Bear-ish cub is a natural extension of his hairy "Daddy" days of yore. Just without the cookie cutter superhero body that every other male "athletic" hero has.

Embrace the Timber WOOF

I only wish they'd found a design that showed off a hairy body like in previous versions... (ohh I feel a costume fan redesign coming)

Attachment 99408
    That look doesn't work for me.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Yowza, y'all make it sound like they turned him into Bouncing Boy. Timber Wolf as a bulked up Muscle Bear-ish cub is a natural extension of his hairy "Daddy" days of yore. Just without the cookie cutter superhero body that every other male "athletic" hero has.
    Classic Legion rules were that every new recruit had to have a unique ability to qualify for membership. Brin Londo's ability was super-agility and gymnastics. He was supposed to have a trim body to make that point. His membership was nothing to do with the lupine disease that plagued him (a retcon to explain how Dave Cockrum could so change his normal--if not android--appearance).

I never got a Daddy Bear vibe from Timber Wolf. And I'd like to forget "Furball" ever happened. He's not Wolverine--he was a "Lone Wolf Legionnaire" (in his debut) which was then changed to Timber Wolf. A wolverine is not a wolf--it's a Canadian badger--there was a dead one hanging on the wall at Fort Edmonton, when I was a historical interpreter there. Thus Logan's squat appearance--because wolverines are short and stocky but very tough and super-aggressive, with sharp claws.

Mighty Member

This works for me though.

Bendis went too far with a character overhaul in my opinion. If you want to change a few characters here and there, or bring in new ones to freshen things up a bit that's fair, but it almost feels like he was looking to clean the slate with something entirely new.

I've seen most of my favourite heroes altered or killed through the years, so I am sort of resigned to an individual... sigh, nevertheless Bendis has appeared to have alienated a lot of Legion fans.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    tio this!!!

]
    Heh. He looks like he's trying out for Camelot.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

From a glass half full perspective, this new Legion is so NOT the Legion that I can ignore it, which is good. I don't have to make it fit with any of the other iterations of the Legion. I don't need to read it.

It's like the most unnecessary Legion there ever was. When Mark Waid was writing the Legion, I felt conflicted over whether to read it or not. When Jim Shooter returned to write the Threeboot Legion, I did buy all those comics and it was distressing how management disrespected him.

The Geoff Johns/Paul Levitz revival felt like it needed to be read. Yet they would often do things that ignored the previous continuity and not for any good reason--it's not like their changes added anything new to the group.

Bendis and Sook have saved me a lot of bother, because they punted the football right out of the stadium and into a cricket test match.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah, the current LoSH book is such a huge departure from the LoSH that I can easily just ignore it. It shares zero connective tissue with anything "Legion-y".

It's hard for me to "ignore" a LoSH book, they're the best ya know? Eh well.

Mighty Member

I think the two of you have hit the nail on the head as how I was feeling.

The Bendis/Sook Legion felt like such a radical departure in terms of the characters, I was like "Wow, I guess they're aiming for a totally new readership" I wasn't angry, it just felt so alien to me, to the point that I didn't feel a need to support it and I dropped it after a few issues.
    "

I love the old Curt Swan Legion stories & I love the 80’s Giffen issues. The mid 70’s Grell period is probably the era that has my heart though.

D33192D6-E626-42CC-B1BC-DE4908C3C192.jpg

4BC13014-C423-47A9-84CF-CC802ABFBD38.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Heh. He looks like he's trying out for Camelot.
    Lol, actually he does, doesn't he, Sir Londo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    From a glass half full perspective, this new Legion is so NOT the Legion that I can ignore it, which is good. I don't have to make it fit with any of the other iterations of the Legion. I don't need to read it.
    As a long-time fan, I've read at least three different versions (five, if counting 5YL and Superboy's Legion) of every Legionnaire Bendis chose to use, in the classic, Reboot and Threeboot continuities. He included some new characters, in Dr. Fate, Gold Lantern and Monster Boy, but didn't go with some of those native to only one continuity, like Tyroc or Theena or Dragonmage, which means, A) he completely ignored all of the ethnically diverse Legionnaires, apparently by accident?, if that's even a possible thing, and B) he picked all of the Legionnaires that have had stories written about them *for 50-60 years.*

I mean, wow. There were endless directions he could have gone with new takes on Myg or Gazelle or Kid Quantum II that we *hadn't* seen yet, since we haven't had 5 decades of stories about three or more different versions of them. And yet, here we are. Same old, same old.

I love me some Shady and Jo and Tinya and Brin and so, so many others, but good lord, did we need *another* Brainiac 5? Another Saturn Girl romance-plot? There were tons of new Legionnaires introduced between the various 'boots, including Glorith, Chemical Kid, Dragonwing, etc. in the 'classic' continuity, that he could have taken in all sorts of new directions, since they were freshly created, and still had room to go places.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, there was nothing that seemed like my Legion in the new book other than character names. And I had already experienced that scenario with Mark Waid's threeboot. So I haven't picked up the book at all. What I have read about it so far makes me glad I didn't waste my time or money on it.

If it sells well and developes a huge following, then more power to it. May it run for many years. But I'm crossing my fingers that some talented writer/artist team will eventually realize that Legion fans want the real Legion back. I doubt it will happen, but everything usually comes back around eventually.

Astonishing Member

The current Legion has some of teh earmarks of what turned me on to the classic Legion -- a diversity of members, costumes and powers. But I agree that changes made to some of the characters -- especially Timber Wolf -- are out of left field.

I guess Bendis wanted to focus on a young Legoin, but I'd have preferred to see some of the classic members take on a leadership or mentor role with a batch of new members. Ah well, Legion will never be what it was in the 70s and 80s.