Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Very rarely does Supernatural go to big cities. Usually small towns and suburbs at the biggest.
    Again, I'm not counting a show that doesn't "stay in place". Supernatural doesn't feel like a rural show, it feels like a "on the road/road-trip" show. Sure they never go to a city, but they're almost always on the go. Road trip feels like it's own separate environment from rural or urban. It may have nothing but rural settings, but it's always some new town. Supernatural is good, but it just doesn't feel like it fits the actual premise except in the loosest, not in the spirit of the question terms and people are just breaking the spirit gleefully because it's a show they love and it "fits if you squint."

- Justified
    - Little House on the Prairie
    - Twin Peaks
    - Smallville
    - Northern Exposure
    - Broadchurch

Although out of favor right now, the Dukes of Hazzard was a rural show so unrealistic as to be fantasy.

I would also include "High Mountain Rangers" with Robert Conrad which took place mostly in the wilderness.

If we're counting shows set in past time periods. I would include "How the West Was Won" and especially the 1960s Daniel Boone show. Boonesborough, a fort with a few dozen people definitely counts as rural or primitive beyond rural.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

For me:

Drama - The Waltons. The adults on that show remind me so much of my parents and grandparents. I have such a connection with this show.

Comedy - The Andy Griffith Show. Small town humor at its best. And yes, I love the color episodes just as much as the black & white episodes.

I was talking to my wife about this. For rural, her definition would be "Does a cow appear?" If yes, then the show can be considered rural.

Supernatural yes, Buffy no for that reason.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I was talking to my wife about this. For rural, her definition would be "Does a cow appear?" If yes, then the show can be considered rural.

By that definition, would The Andy Griffith Show qualify as rural? While I've never watched the entire run, I don't recall seeing cows much, if at all.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    By that definition, would The Andy Griffith Show qualify as rural? While I've never watched the entire run, I don't recall seeing cows much, if at all.
    In at least one episode, Otis ends up buying a cow. He's completely wasted to the point he thinks its a horse, and even rides it into town, but yeah.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I remember one where Barney hides out in a barn. I can't remember if there's a cow but there was definitely several pigs. There's several episodes in the early seasons where farmers are part of the story.

In one of the color episodes, Opie agrees to ride his bike out to a farm and feed a horse while the owner is away. The horse won't eat so he ends up bringing him home to stay in the garage.

And I believe there's one episode surrounding a goat that ate some dynamite. Plenty of farm animals represented on that show.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

With Buffy, there's really nothing about it that feels like it's in a small town. They "say" there's one school but everything feels like at least an intermediate size city.
    Power with Girl is better.

True Blood

The Torkelsons

Mama's Family

Newhart

The Andy Griffith Show. No contest for me.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    With Buffy, there's really nothing about it that feels like it's in a small town. They "say" there's one school but everything feels like at least an intermediate size city.
    The Welcome to Sunnydale sign gave the population as 38,500, but it's clearly part of the Los Angeles/San Diego Megalopolis. That's sort of one continuous urban area stretching from around Santa Barbara to the Mexico border, with the border between one community and another not usually being very obvious except on a map.

I place Sunnydale in the northern suburbs of L.A., around Santa Barbara. Definitely not rural.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Midnight, Texas wasn't great, but I enjoyed it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    The Torkelsons
    I must be dyslexic, cause what I saw written there^ was...

(which I couldn't remember what they were, just looked them up, and they might fit the criteria.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-01-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I must be dyslexic, cause what I saw written there^ was...

(which I couldn't remember what they were, just looked them up, and they might fit the criteria.