Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who counts as the MCU’s first Asian superhero?

I was reading this article about Chloe Bennet...

https://www.looper.com/230605/actor-...ive-interview/

...and it said ppl forget she’s Marvel Studios’ first Asian superhero. I’ve also heard the same about Simu Liu, who’s been cast as Shang Chi.

But Tadanobu Asano played Hogun in 2011’s THOR, followed by Kenneth Choi as Jim Morita in 2011’s CAPTAIN AMERICA THE FIRST AVENGER. Is it just that they’re breaking it all down in different ways?

Boisterously Confused

Technically, Morita wasn't a superhero, but a commando. You could argue Hogan's a superhero, but he's an alien (Vanir to be exact) who happens to look Asian. Likewise, AoS' Daisy Is actually half-Anglo and half-Inhuman with her mother just happening to look Asian. So, I suppose we could argue Colleen Wing is actually the first Asian superhero in the extended MCU.

Well, argue away; it’s why I’m asking!

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

As much as some of us may not like it, we're just gonna have to accept that Marvel Studios does not seem to consider anything from Marvel Television as canon anymore. At the end of the day, their word and Feige's word is law in this matter.

On the question at hand, Shang-Chi is Marvel Studios first Asian superhero. The film will be Marvel Studios' first Asian superhero MCU film. Simu Liu will be the first Asian actor to lead an MCU film playing an Asian character (Gemma Chan is reportedly the lead in Eternals, but Sersi isn't Asian as far as we know).

It's hard to really say if Tadanobu Asano's Hogun is an Asian character at all, but he and Kenneth Choi's Jim Morita were supporting characters.

Extraordinary Member

Meanwhile Wong is like....”Um remember me?”

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quake. People can't pick and choose when Marvel TV is or isn't canon. They can't have it both ways.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Meanwhile Wong is like....”Um remember me?”
    Fair point. I think of Wong in terms of his 616 character, but yeah, his MCU incarnation has at least as much claim to being a superhero as anybody else that showed up to the last dance in Endgame.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Quake. People can't pick and choose when Marvel TV is or isn't canon. They can't have it both ways.
    Except they can, especially when MCU films continuously act like the TV shows don't exist.

Agents of SHIELD is going full on Legends of Tomorrow this season... and changing things as they travel in time! It may be that they end up retconning most of their own show out of continuity. Quake could actually end up being erased.
    https://www.cbr.com/agents-of-shield...t-possibility/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hmm.
    Maybe it’s a bunch of different firsts.

Tadanobu Asano Is the first Asian actor to play a an MCU character not specifically defined as Asian or a superhero.

Kenneth Choi Is the first Asian actor to play an MCU Asian character not specifically defined as a superhero.

Chloe Bennet and Ming Ana Wen are the first actresses to play MCU (television) Asian characters not specifically defined as superheroes.

Simu Liu Is the first Asian actor to be the star of an MCU movie playing an Asian character not specifically defined as a superhero

...and so on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Hmm.
    Maybe it’s a bunch of different firsts.
    Chloe Bennet and Ming Ana Wen are the first actresses to play MCU (television) Asian characters not specifically defined as superheroes.

Simu Liu Is the first Asian actor to be the star of an MCU movie playing an Asian character not specifically defined as a superhero

...and so on.
    Quake like yo-yo were called superheroes a number of times in aos.
    The current phil coulson calls himself a superhero.
    I remember one scene in season 4 for example when phil says we have bunch of scientists and superheroes.
    Last edited by mace11; 07-29-2020 at 04:45 PM.

I'd say Colleen.

Daisy and May could count depending on how you define superheroes. Do agents of SHIELD count?

Shang-chi is probably the first for the movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd say Colleen.

Daisy and May could count depending on how you define superheroes. Do agents of SHIELD count?

Wong says hi

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd say Colleen.

Well according to the post above yours, they do.

And really, Shang isn’t technically a superhero he’s a martial artist in a world of superheroes. He’s also a former spy/govt agent.

For me, good guys in comics are all to be considered heroes, but it’s the different definitions by other fans that make for a good conversation, which is why I asked.

Extraordinary Member

Shang chi is a superhero if batman,black widow and black canary could be called one.
    Shang chi also has superpowers in the comics and future fight game for example.
    He will have superpowers in the mcu too.
    Last edited by mace11; 07-29-2020 at 08:35 PM.