prime.jpg
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Not Marvel (shush you, lawyers!)

prime.jpg
    It’s Matvel’s loss, not using the Ultraverse characters.

And that is a great, powerful chest emblem, always liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    One could say that today's comic book characters are using a modern day equivalent of heraldry used in royal houses of Europe. There was War of the Roses, where the House of Lancaster wore the red rose and the House of York had the White Rose. In the comic strips we have Hal Foster's Prince Valiant, who when knighted had the red horse head on his shield and tunic. I don't recall why it was chosen...it looks like the chess piece for the knight.
    Our comic book characters are modern day folk tales so it makes sense.
    It’s especially evident when characters travel back in time and are mistaken for Knights...

...or their outfits translate really well into Knightly garb...

Well, yeah from the movie. There's the Queen music video where Freddie Mercury is wearing it. He even wore one for a few of their concerts at the time.

But I don't recall the old movie serials where he has one or in Alex Raymond's comic strip. Even in the movie serial he would just happen to get new outfits from whatever kingdom he was in.
    Hey that movie made me a Jets fan!
    Growing up in NYC surrounded by Giants fans, that was no small feat.

I’ve also owned that shirt 3 different times now!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Hey that movie made me a Jets fan!
    Growing up in NYC surrounded by Giants fans, that was no small feat.

I’ve also owned that shirt 3 different times now!
    I'm not sure what the connection is and haven't seen the movie in a while....was Flash a QB for the Jets?

Our comic book characters are modern day folk tales so it makes sense.
    It’s especially evident when characters travel back in time and are mistaken for Knights...

...or their outfits translate really well into Knightly garb...
    That time travel story to Camelot is one of my favorites. That would make a great MCU movie or even something for an animated series.

In the Doom appreciation thread the use of heraldry came up because you do see a lot of it when a story takes place in his homeland. A very talented fan posted a project of his that is a family portrait with the Doom flag that has been used since the early 2000s. It's a more modern looking one, with the mask used like the family crest.

I like the coat of arms Larocca puts on this cover.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-30-2020 at 12:18 PM.

That time travel story to Camelot is one of my favorites. That would make a great MCU movie or even something for an animated series.

In the Doom appreciation thread the use of heraldry came up because you do see a lot of it when a story takes place in his homeland. A very talented fan posted a project of his that is a family portrait with the Doom flag that has been used since the early 2000s. It's a more modern looking one, with the mask used like the family crest.

I like the coat of arms Larocca puts on this cover.

^^^thats hella sweet.
    It calls to mind when Doom took out a lion barehanded.

Another character who uses the lion in heraldic fashion (and recently met Doom) is Conan. He was called Amra the Lion by his crew when he was a pirate...

...and as King many years later he was known as The Lion of Aquilonia.

Last edited by Riv86672; 07-30-2020 at 12:31 PM.

My oldest brother would to buy the Conan paperbacks that came out with the Frazetta covers for all of 50 cents! I do recall reading the one with the Red Nails story when he left a few behind at home when he joined the Navy. That second cover is nicely done...who is the artist?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Remember Comics's Greatest Mullet?

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

^^^LOL!!!

My oldest brother would to buy the Conan paperbacks that came out with the Frazetta covers for all of 50 cents! I do recall reading the one with the Red Nails story when he left a few behind at home when he joined the Navy. That second cover is nicely done...who is the artist?
    ^^^I used to buy those same books!

Not sure who the artist is on the second pic, I just grabbed it off Google image search right quick, sorry.

This next one isn’t very intricate or anything...

...but it perfectly compliments the costume; in this case simple works.

And sometimes a busier emblem ties the costume together!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Remember Comics's Greatest Mullet?

I think I still have all of the run of X that Dark Horse did. Plus some of the run of Division 13, which I think may have been the very first book from that universe to get cancelled - if not THE first, it was certainly near the front of the line.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Chocolate Thunder was supposed to be the flagship character for Gettosake comics but the whole thing never got off the ground.
    I have the first and only issue of the book, where he looked like this...

...I really dig the oversized chest emblem and lightning fist.

I’ve Googled the character many times to see if anything new were happening w. him, and at some point he was redesigned to look like this...

...again, the lightning fist works for me. Smaller yeah, but it goes w. the costume design really well.

Chocolate Thunder was supposed to be the flagship character for Gettosake comics but the whole thing never got off the ground.
    I have the first and only issue of the book, where he looked like this...

...I really dig the oversized chest emblem and lightning fist.

I’ve Googled the character many times to see if anything new were happening w. him, and at some point he was redesigned to look like this...

...again, the lightning fist works for me. Smaller yeah, but it goes w. the costume design really well.
    The bottom pic looks more 70-ish, while the top one more modern. What were his powers? I like the insignia.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    The bottom pic looks more 70-ish, while the top one more modern. What were his powers? I like the insignia.
    The second pic better reflects the character, which had blaxploitation influences. From his bio: Believed dead by his former employers, government agent Kevin King returned home to find his old stomping grounds over-run by crime. Unable to stand idly by, he became the costumed vigilante, whom the local graffiti artists dubbed “Chocolate Thunder”.

He was a MA expert and had a wise old mentor from what I recall.
    He looked like he was gonna face both normal bad guys and super humans, corrupt govt. types, along w. a Hand-like Ninja clan thrown in. I was pretty disappointed it never got to see print.